Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sparks, NV
First Name
JP
Last Name
Moser
Member #

I am trying to find a way to run my ARB fridge in the back seat of my Tacoma. I plugged it into the 12V receptacle but it doesn't work. Does anyone out there know of a way to get this done? I am electrically challenged. :)

Reactions: KA7USA

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Does your receptacle only work when the car is on or not at all? The 12v dc plug actually comes apart in two pieces and you'll notice it has a plug on the wired end. ARB sells a DC outlet to use with this plug for about 8 bucks...ish. just replace the original outlet with the ARB one and you will be able to plug in your fridge which has a screw down for tightness and no movement. Of course if it's an outlet that is only on when the vehicle is on, then you may want to consider running a line directly off the battery into an auxiliary fuse box and then run the outlet to the fuse box. This is what I did for my 4Runner so I could have additional outlets that were always on and power to other items like my Ham radio.
You can take a look at my setup if you want to run by my place above Verdi.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I am trying to find a way to run my ARB fridge in the back seat of my Tacoma. I plugged it into the 12V receptacle but it doesn't work. Does anyone out there know of a way to get this done? I am electrically challenged. :)
Get the ARB plug and harness. Run it from the battery through the firewall. You'll have constant power and should only take an hour max for the entire run and mounting.

Reactions: DesertRat775

DesertRat775

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sparks, NV
First Name
JP
Last Name
Moser
Member #

Just watched this YT video a few days ago:

Thanks for the video! I'm going to have to look into that. It looks a little overwhelming for my level with all the smoke and stuff going on, but I'd probably learn a lot doing it myself.

Reactions: KA7USA

DesertRat775

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sparks, NV
First Name
JP
Last Name
Moser
Member #

Does your receptacle only work when the car is on or not at all? The 12v dc plug actually comes apart in two pieces and you'll notice it has a plug on the wired end. ARB sells a DC outlet to use with this plug for about 8 bucks...ish. just replace the original outlet with the ARB one and you will be able to plug in your fridge which has a screw down for tightness and no movement. Of course if it's an outlet that is only on when the vehicle is on, then you may want to consider running a line directly off the battery into an auxiliary fuse box and then run the outlet to the fuse box. This is what I did for my 4Runner so I could have additional outlets that were always on and power to other items like my Ham radio.
You can take a look at my setup if you want to run by my place above Verdi.
Checking out your 4Runner would be cool. Either at your place or at the next meet in Reno. You do the HAM thing? I'm interested about getting into that. I'll have to bend your ear about it when I check your rig out. Thanks for the response.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Checking out your 4Runner would be cool. Either at your place or at the next meet in Reno. You do the HAM thing? I'm interested about getting into that. I'll have to bend your ear about it when I check your rig out. Thanks for the response.
Sounds good....and yes, I do the ham thing but mostly for travel. happy to talk about it.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
This and my radio's were the first mods into my 2019 Tacoma. Separate fuse block in the engine compartment and a Blue sea port on the back of the console for the fridge. Being "electrically" challenged, I would go with what @diabetiktaco posted. Premade harness. Spend some time looking carefully at videos regarding how to take apart your console without breaking things.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

This and my radio's were the first mods into my 2019 Tacoma. Separate fuse block in the engine compartment and a Blue sea port on the back of the console for the fridge. Being "electrically" challenged, I would go with what @diabetiktaco posted. Premade harness. Spend some time looking carefully at videos regarding how to take apart your console without breaking things.
You can run the wires through the firewall or from the plug under the driver seat. The wire will connect to the battery and you can drop it down through the engine bay and zip tie is along the frame to the seat plug. Run it through there and under the carpet along the trim on the doors. The only thing you have to remove is POSSIBLY the seat (four bolts and 4 harness plugs) and the trim along the front driver seat (prys right off).
seat.jpg

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I ran my feed through the pass-through boot, across to the center then under the console. It feeds my radios as well. My 2m is a remote mount under the driver seat. I pull the feed from the console side. I kept the wiring central to make it easier to access.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

DesertRat775

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sparks, NV
First Name
JP
Last Name
Moser
Member #

You'd figure after many years of zapping myself with electricity I would have learned by now. :) Thanks for the input. Ill have to post pics when I am done.

• Haha
Reactions: KA7USA and smritte

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch