Enthusiast I

Haysville, KS, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Hill
Member #

Hello!

I am planning on removing the rear cubbies from my 2016 Tacoma and the drivers side rear seat as well. I want to use this as my electrical cabinet and properly mount my compressor back there.

My question for anyone that knows, what is something I can use similar to the goosegears coating to keep everything neat and tidy looking. I want to use plywood to build it all myself and maybe a drawer under the plate.

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

I haven't looked into it in awhile, but I'm pretty sure someone makes a solid MOLLE panel that goes behind the rear seats across the entire wall there. You could use that to mount anything you want. It's not DIY I guess. Although maybe you could just find someone with a CNC to cut it out of a sheet of metal and bolt it in somehow?

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Here's ones that leave the existing plastic panels in place:
And here's one that replaces then entirely (would be my preference):

underdog493

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Haysville, KS, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Hill
Member #

Molle is great but not what I am looking for. Take a look at the goosegear rear seat delete. I want to do that to the drivers side. I am just trying to find the best coating/liner to use to finish the plywood.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I have had good luck with the Raptor line of products. Offered in both 1 liter bottles that you add hardener (and color base if using the tintable version) shake and spray with their special spray gun or in standard aerosol spray paint cans for small jobs. Both the 1 liter bottles and the aerosol cans come in a selection of standard colors, or you can purchase the tintable liters that you can then color match to any color you want by purchasing tint from a local auto paint supplier. all the product is a 2k epoxy type finish and super durable. We sprayed our entire Jeep with color matched Raptor a few years ago and has held up extremely well so far. Have done some plywood for projects with the standard black and have been very happy. Have not used the spray cans yet, but should be good for small jobs or if you do not have a compressor. Keep in mind that once mixed or the spray can is activated you have to use it all or throw it away as it sets up pretty quick. Also avoid getting it on anything other than what you are working on, hard to clean up if it dries. After the initial set up and off gassing we have not noticed any smell unlike the paint on bed liner / underlayment we used in the past that smelled for ever. One thing we have learned the hard way is to use a good grade of plywood, cabinet grade is best as it should not have any voids, we sand the edges smooth, fill any defects, and spray with an expoxy primer prior to using the final finish.

BOHL4Me

Rank II

Member I

Lauderhill, Florida, United States
First Name
James
Last Name
Newball
Member #

Hello
You could probably use a two part Epoxy like west system to seal the wood Then paint if you’d like or just leave natural it’s a good base and also a good sealer. We use west systems for a multitude of different applications in the boating industry.

Reactions: underdog493

underdog493

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Haysville, KS, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Hill
Member #

I have had good luck with the Raptor line of products. Offered in both 1 liter bottles that you add hardener (and color base if using the tintable version) shake and spray with their special spray gun or in standard aerosol spray paint cans for small jobs. Both the 1 liter bottles and the aerosol cans come in a selection of standard colors, or you can purchase the tintable liters that you can then color match to any color you want by purchasing tint from a local auto paint supplier. all the product is a 2k epoxy type finish and super durable. We sprayed our entire Jeep with color matched Raptor a few years ago and has held up extremely well so far. Have done some plywood for projects with the standard black and have been very happy. Have not used the spray cans yet, but should be good for small jobs or if you do not have a compressor. Keep in mind that once mixed or the spray can is activated you have to use it all or throw it away as it sets up pretty quick. Also avoid getting it on anything other than what you are working on, hard to clean up if it dries. After the initial set up and off gassing we have not noticed any smell unlike the paint on bed liner / underlayment we used in the past that smelled for ever. One thing we have learned the hard way is to use a good grade of plywood, cabinet grade is best as it should not have any voids, we sand the edges smooth, fill any defects, and spray with an expoxy primer prior to using the final finish.
Awesome, thanks for the advice!

underdog493

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Haysville, KS, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Hill
Member #

Hello
You could probably use a two part Epoxy like west system to seal the wood Then paint if you’d like or just leave natural it’s a good base and also a good sealer. We use west systems for a multitude of different applications in the boating industry.
I hadn’t thought of that, I like it!

BOHL4Me

Rank II

Member I

First Name
James
Last Name
Newball
Member #

Hello
I hadn’t thought of that, I like it!

BOHL4Me

Rank II

Member I

First Name
James
Last Name
Newball
Member #

It works really well as a sealer And aesthetically pleasing, depending on use. Also careful if you plan on using in direct sunlight as some epoxies have almost no uv protection, the obvious is if you are using only as a base/sealer for paint then you should be ok!