Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
I have had a lot of problems with the Amazon Fire kids edition. They just aren't as stable as an iPad. If you have this as a primary nav, you're not gonna want to fight the device in the middle of nowhere... I'd go ad all the way.

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

I have an LG 7 I got for free from AT&T with the purchase of phone. I have used several applications, free and paid for and they are great for hiking and backpacking, however I have found for overlanding that google maps is the best navigator. There are few tricks you need to do to make it effective. First off download the area you will be traveling in for offline use. Then plot your route on your PC or Mac and send it to your device. If the trail you are traveling on is not on the map make your own waypoints. Although most off road trails and forest routes are now on google maps now, at least in California. Once you you are traveling turn your device to airplane mode and make sure that it is set to GPS only. This has worked exceptionally well for me. The only draw back is you are looking for a Top map it is not an option. If I feel like I need a Top I use the paid version of backcountry navigator, Although this always seems like more work. I also use the tablet for ODB2 and have my music on it. It serves several purposes.

goleee33

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Tustin, CA
Member #

iPad mini without a doubt. The 4 would be ideal but the 2 will handle most overland applications. They are around 200-250 for wifi, then you have to get a GPS puck or you can get the 4G model that comes with a GPS chip, albeit its not quite as accurate as a dedicated puck, but accurate enough for what we are using it for.

ColoradoPacific

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

Has anyone tried using the Verizon Ellipsis tablet for navigation?

I have one that I don't use for anything, and figured I could re-purpose it to GPS Nav if possible, and save myself from buying another one. They run Android, so it's got a pretty standardized OS. It's 4G-LTE, WiFi, and Bluetooth enabled, although I have deactivated the cell service for it. I would plan to use a dedicated GPS receiver, and run a WiFi link.

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

Has anyone tried using the Verizon Ellipsis tablet for navigation?

I have one that I don't use for anything, and figured I could re-purpose it to GPS Nav if possible, and save myself from buying another one. They run Android, so it's got a pretty standardized OS. It's 4G-LTE, WiFi, and Bluetooth enabled, although I have deactivated the cell service for it. I would plan to use a dedicated GPS receiver, and run a WiFi link.
An android tablet is an Andriod tablet, as long as it has a GPS chip it will work. You do not need the cell service for it, a matter of fact I turn mine to airplane mode when i use it to conserve the battery life and that is one less process running, so it operates faster. I have an earlier post in this thread regarding how I use my tablet.

Reactions: ColoradoPacific

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Ipad Air/Iphone 6s running a combination of maps.me, MontionX, Garmin, navmii, Memory Map, Viewranger, Waze and more recently, Earthmate.

Can't fault the hardware for reliability and the combinations of software get used depending on route/location/needs or just what mood I'm in.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I have been setting up my galaxy tab a 8 LTE for use in our rigs now for the past few days. I have the software pretty well nailed down. A combination of BCN, Canada topo pro and here maps will get us directions of wherever we want to go. Add in radio player canada for listening to our favorite stations and torque pro for keeping an eye on the running gear, it's everything we need. I do wish the tablet had a compass in it however, but as soon as your moving GPS takes over and it shows correct directions. For the price, I cannot complain.