Tablet - anyone using a Lenovo tablet for Gaia?

• HTML tutorial

Osteology

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Dallas, TX
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Ingraham
Looking for a tablet to run Gaia with off-line maps and came across this. Never had a Lenovo product before but the price is hard to beat. Am I missing something. Reviews say the camera is lousy and the single speaker is poor but this would be primarily for nav in the truck......

Lenovo Tab M8 FHD: 8.0 inches, 32 GB, 3 GB Ram,1080 x 2160 pixels, Quad-core 2.0 GHz, Android 9, GPS
Direct from Lenovo for $139.00,

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Not enough internal storage if you want a lot of offline maps. Some folks have had problems trying to put maps on an additional microsd card.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I have this exact tablet, but bought it used off ebay.

It runs Gaia great. You can get around the storage issues by using a micro SD card, and telling Gaia to store maps on the card. I have a 128gb card in mine.

Reactions: Downs and Graeman

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I have this exact tablet, but bought it used off ebay.

It runs Gaia great. You can get around the storage issues by using a micro SD card, and telling Gaia to store maps on the card. I have a 128gb card in mine.
Great that you aren’t having issues with the card. List what it is because many don’t work well.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I believe it's a SanDisk. It was one I just had laying around.

JackA

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Orondo, WA, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

I also have a 128 Gb SanDisk class 10 card runing with no issues in a Samsung TAB E. You must use Gaia Set Up on your device to select moving the map data to the SD Card. You are still limited to the number of tiles you can download at one setting, but you can get several states worth of data stored on the 128 Gb card. Paid about $23 on Amazon for the Micro SD Card.

Amazon 128 Gb Micro SD Card

Reactions: Downs

Osteology

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Dallas, TX
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Ingraham
Thanks all. I had planned on a 256GB card since they've gotten cheap. Samsung Evo select 256 is around $40

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Always go with a name brand Class 10 card. That cuts down on a lot of SD memory issues. Prices are so low on SD cards there's no reason to try to go with a knock off no name unit.

I've had a few Lenovo computers. They work fine for what they are. They don't have all the bells and whistles. There's some low cost tablets on Amazon that are no name and under 100 dollars and I've used them for general use and they work ok but never used with GAIA so can't comment on how well they would work on that.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I double checked last night. I have the same model of tablet, but the 16gb version. I still have no issues, just FYI. I store my gaia info on the sd card, as well as my play music downloads.

I got lucky and got one that had a working LTE connection out of the box, so I have data on the go (and don't pay for it). My SD card is a sandisk ultra class 10.

The samsung evo card will work great.

Reactions: Osteology

arjan

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Hondón de las Nieves, Spanje
First Name
arjan
Last Name
sloot
Member #

You just need to check if your tablet got a gps sensor build in without the need of internet. Some tablets work on position from cellphone conection.