Launch Member

Influencer I

Apache Junction, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Girard
Member #

I'm picking up a 9000 pound Warn winch off of Buddy for a hundred bucks and I'm wondering what kind of cable to put on? what people out there would recommend ? if anybody could help me out with this for my decision on which one to go with that would be fantastic. calling on the OB Nation for suggestions. How many pools do you get out of a synthetic cable before it needs changed vs a steel ? I'm also trying to keep weight down and I understand synthetic would be the way to do that but it is it really the better decision any advice would be great.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
synthetic rope is considerably safer than steel cable. synthetic rope doesn’t store as much energy as a steel cable does, It won't spring back and take out your legs, if it breaks. As you mentioned, it saves a lot of weight. The down side, cynthetic doesn't stand pulls over rocks, without being protected. It can't take the abuse steel cable can. For my line, I use Cynthetic, for the reasons stated. I just take the time to rig around abusing my synthetic line. I have seen no difference in lifespan between cable and Synthetic. All my winches in the 80's and 90's where steel cable, back then you had no choice. Today, I think for non commercial use, synthetic is the only way to go. Make sure you winch can support synthetic. Winch drums can get hot, and damage Synthetic line, if not designed correctly.

KTM GRIZZLY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Apache Junction, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Girard
Member #

synthetic rope is considerably safer than steel cable. synthetic rope doesn’t store as much energy as a steel cable does, It won't spring back and take out your legs, if it breaks. As you mentioned, it saves a lot of weight. The down side, cynthetic doesn't stand pulls over rocks, without being protected. It can't take the abuse steel cable can. For my line, I use Cynthetic, for the reasons stated. I just take the time to rig around abusing my synthetic line. I have seen no difference in lifespan between cable and Synthetic. All my winches in the 80's and 90's where steel cable, back then you had no choice. Today, I think for non commercial use, synthetic is the only way to go. Make sure you winch can support synthetic. Winch drums can get hot, and damage Synthetic line, if not designed correctly.
Awesome advice thank you .

Jaydub514

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Rangsipat
Member #

Couldn't agree more with Jeff- in this day and age it's all about synthetic. Infinitely more safe- especially when paired with a closed winching component system like the Factor 55 stuff. Not to mention the weight savings!

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Like @Jaydub514 im also a big fan of the aluminum thimbles made by Facter 55. I use the FlatLink shackle thimble on my jeep today. I also use soft shackles, such as the ones made by Bubba Rope. I try to reduce the potential for heavy flying objects when I'm doing a recovery. Doing a close loop recovery reduces the probability of injury, if something fails.

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

I've never had a winch before, but I'll be getting one soon-ish (within the year, hopefully), so I'm interested in this discussion as well. I'm still undecided, but I've been reading up on the pros and cons of both, and had been leaning more toward steel. I'm not crazy about the ends whipping about if it breaks, but I was thinking that dampers would reduce the risk of that. But the main reason I was leaning that way was because we have snow and below freezing temperatures in the winter, and I've read that when synthetic gets wet and freezes, it's useless. Has anyone here experienced this?

KTM GRIZZLY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Apache Junction, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Girard
Member #

As with the cold it will 120 degrees this week I get worried about it dry rotting the rope in summer unless I run synthetic in winter and steel in summer so many pros and cons !

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

That was something else I had considered: getting both and allowing weather and intended terrain to dictate which gets loaded up.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Their is a lot of good information about choosing and using a winch. I tend to listen to the professionals in the field. They have a larger experience base, to form an opinion , on products. Some good articles you may want to read:

http://bb4wa.com/2016/12/01/aftermarket-accessories-part-ii/

http://www.overlandexperts.com/docs/news/overland_journal_winching_spring_2008.pdf

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the bigger brand names. I would steer away from the poorly made discount brands. I personaly use Superwinch today, most of the professional instructors I have had an opertunity to hold candid conversations with, have always steered me towards Superwinch. I have always liked my Warn winches, but my current Superwinch seems to do longer pulls better, without overheating.

Dan & Jen Nevada

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

On the Road...
Member #

I don't and that was sort of tongue in cheek. Steel is dangerous if it breaks...period. Synthetic is usually not. They preform the same job and both do it well. Each has it's own set of pros and cons. Knowing that, I'll choose the option that has little to no potential to take my leg or head off.

And for the record, I don't run any cable. My winch is bare because I got rid of the original, frayed steel cable and something is always a higher priority than winch cable. :smirk:

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Masterpull in my opinion makes one of the best Synthetic winch lines. If any one is looking for specific brands of Synthetic Winch lines, can't go wrong with Masterpull. I use their winch line extender, and will replace my line with Masterpull when its time.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I've never had a winch before, but I'll be getting one soon-ish (within the year, hopefully), so I'm interested in this discussion as well. I'm still undecided, but I've been reading up on the pros and cons of both, and had been leaning more toward steel. I'm not crazy about the ends whipping about if it breaks, but I was thinking that dampers would reduce the risk of that. But the main reason I was leaning that way was because we have snow and below freezing temperatures in the winter, and I've read that when synthetic gets wet and freezes, it's useless. Has anyone here experienced this?
Im wondering how the fishing ships in the North Pacific deal with that. Our current Synthetic lines, where ariginaly used in the Maritime industry. I know that these are used heavily in the North Pacific, fishing industry. I have never worked on one of these boats, but I understand that the weather can get a bit brisk.

http://www.samsonrope.com/Pages/CommercialFishing.aspx

AmSteel, one of the most successful Synthetic Winch lines, is also used heavily in the cold North Pacific fishing fleets. I know that it is common practice to wash the Synthetic lines at the end of each fishing season, but this is a lot of use in some very cold wet environments

Reactions: Quicksilver

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

You don't have to worry about cold temps and Dyneema. It actually gets a little stronger (by 5-10%) at temps of -50*C (-58*F). Samson has published test results on their site that show their results. They concluded safe operating temps can be at least as low as -125*C (-193*F).

Heat however, can be of concern but is still something you wouldn't need to worry about in all but a few cases. Powering out your line with a load (like lowering a vehicle down a ledge) can build excessive heat when using a winch with an internal brake in the drum. Under freespool and powering in, the brake isn't utilized and therefore generates no heat on the drum. The other concern would be in an extremely hot and sunny climate. The drum may not get hot enough to melt Dyneema, which is 145*C (293*F), but there is a weakening of tensile strength before reaching the melting point.

The thing to remember about Dyneema is that it was made for industrial and marine applications. It's uv stable, resistant to most chemicals and salt water, and it floats.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quicksilver

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
You don't have to worry about cold temps and Dyneema. It actually gets a little stronger (by 5-10%) at temps of -50*C (-58*F). Samson has published test results on their site that show their results. They concluded safe operating temps can be at last as low as -125*C (-193*F).

Heat however, can be of concern but is still something you wouldn't need to worry about in all but a few cases. Powering out your line with a load (like lowering a vehicle down a ledge) can build excessive heat when using a winch with an internal brake in the drum. Under freespool and powering in, the brake isn't utilized and therefore generates no heat on the drum. The other concern would be in an extremely hot and sunny climate. The drum may not get hot enough to melt Dyneema, which is 145*C (293*F), but there is a weakening of tensile strength before reaching the melting point.

The thing to remember about Dyneema is that it was made for industrial and marine applications. It's uv stable, resistant to most chemicals and salt water, and it floats.
your response is probably better, i was trying to be funny, and gave a link to the empirical stuff to read.

Reactions: 4xFar Adventures

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

Just going to say, that how often do you really think you'd be winching over a rock where the line would be directly on a rock? Probably never. Done several dozen recoveries in Moab at od angles and our lines never touched a rock. Usually, your line is off the ground. I hear the comment about synthetic and rocks all the time. But I don't think anyone who says that, has thought about what the chances are of it ever happening.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Just going to say, that how often do you really think you'd be winching over a rock where the line would be directly on a rock? Probably never. Done several dozen recoveries in Moab at od angles and our lines never touched a rock. Usually, your line is off the ground. I hear the comment about synthetic and rocks all the time. But I don't think anyone who says that, has thought about what the chances are of it ever happening.
I agree with @BoldAdventure, that its not common that you need to winch over rocks. Not to say it doesn't happen.

rock_guard_in_use_1__75236.1459305000.1280.1280.jpg
Use a rock guard, and call it good.

Reactions: OffroadTreks

Trail Wonky

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bellingham WA
Member #

Good winch lines will have a heat shield on the beginning of your line to protect the first wrap on the drum from melting. My Master Pull Superline XD has been on my rig for seven years with no issues. I use it a lot, more at home on my 10 acres then on the trail, but both. Master Pull makes a rock guard, it is a 3ft canvas with Velcro cover that can go anywhere on your line to protect it from a rock or the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Jeff Graham