Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Whittier CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dickens
Member #

Are there any threads covering this subject? I am shopping for a wench and it looks like the synthetic rope saves about 35lbs but costs an extra $100.

Cendee

SE Member Representative
Launch Member
Supporter

Influencer III

West Haven, UT, USA
First Name
Cendee
Last Name
Bjerregaard
Member #

Are there any threads covering this subject? I am shopping for a wench and it looks like the synthetic rope saves about 35lbs but costs an extra $100.
I went with the cable because I refused to pay the additional $100 after already spending the amount for the dang winch.

wandering nomad

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

pnw
Member #

I went with the cable because I refused to pay the additional $100 after already spending the amount for the dang winch.
I have seen many cables and chains break over my years of wheeling i bought synthetic. i still use chains to winch out trees :blush:

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

There are significant safety advantages to synthetic rope. That’s the reason it’s mandated for most competition events these days. Given the sophistication of developing & producing synthetic rope along with it’s weight & safety advantages, $100 more doesn’t seem unreasonable.

Reactions: JCWages and Arailt

Mark D

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Whittier CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dickens
Member #

After doing more research I think I will go with the synthetic rope.

Bfree

Rank 0

Contributor I

I Have had both, cable is heavier and will fray and can be difficult to deal with! Need to wear gloves with it when taking it in and out and can snap. Synthetic is much lighter and easier to work with, however it can snap too, as I was pulling out another 4x4 truck slack got in it and then the truck lunged backward slapping the synthetic rope and it snapped. So pluses and minuses for both! Overall I prefer the syn over cable. My latest is a 9500# Syn rope Smitty Bilt!

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
If you must keep your wench on a rope I suppose she will prefer synthetic over steel. Lighter and less likely to abrade the skin.

I have steel cable on three winches and synthetic on one. Pros and Cons to both. I like the durability of steel. Synthetic has a weakness with UV. No such problem with steel. I carry gloves in all my rigs and don't see the occasional rogue strand as such a liability as it seems most others do. On the other hand I do all my own wrenching and consider blood sacrifices to be a routine part of the job. A quick inspection of the current state of my hands shows 5 cuts/scratches, 2 of which I can recall how I got. Within a few days they should most all be healed up and gone and there will be other new ones. Meh.

Reactions: CR-Venturer

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

4 out of 5 wenches prefer synthetic rope ;)

When it comes to winches, there are probably more pros than cons to synthetic, but the biggest cons are probably cost, maintenance and UV vulnerability. Synthetic rope can be degraded internally by grit and crap getting between the strands, so it has to be washed out by hand periodically. It is lighter, can't rust, and is safer as it won't put splinters through your hands and it's unlikely to recoil if it snaps. Steel wire rope is definitely lower maintenance and cheaper, but heavier and more dangerous if it snaps (always use a winch line dampener.)

Chuckem12

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

South Florida
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Mike
Member #

Definitely synthetic. Besides being lighter in weight, the synthetic can be found in many tensile strengths while staying relatively thin. The safety factor is huge IMHO. The ability to use add-ons, shackles, and etc also make it more versatile.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Right now I have steel on both my winches. My Jeep winch has mostly been used for Adopt a Trail work. The cable has been replaced every 2-3 years. Problem has been abrasion over rocks and ground from winching boulders and trees. Once in a while one will roll over the cable. Most of the guys with me run synthetic, they can ruin a cable in one trip if their not careful.
My Landcruiser will be switched to synthetic. It wont be used for trail work, the steel cable is close to two years old and shows sign of light corrosion already.
There's a number of synthetic ropes out there and only a couple of them you want to buy. Most of my friends use Viking Winchline and I heard Masterpull is very good also. Masterpull has a good article on winch lines even though they don't mention the competition. Read it here. I will be using either Viking or Masterpull.
Doing trail work for several decades, I get to see how different winches and lines hold up to stress and abuse. For that reason I'm very picky on what winch/cable combo I use.

Scott

Reactions: RainGoat

BlueLineOverland

Local Expert, Arkansas USA

Experimenter II

Ozark Arkansas
First Name
Mason
Last Name
Berry
Member #

In my opinion synthetic is safer. I've witnessed some pretty sketchy cable breaks and synthetic wont do the things I've seen.