Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I have a synthetic line winch on my Wrangler. When I installed it a couple years ago, I had purchased a cover with it. However, the bumper I'm using recesses the winch very low in the bumper. It was darn near impossible to get the cover around the winch and secure it properly. So over the last couple years, I've let the synthetic line be exposed to the elements here in Iowa. Hot summers and cold winters. My question is, do synthetic lines need to be covered from the elements? Some say yes and some say no. Curious about the thoughts on this subject here at OB. Thanks.

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

I have a synthetic line winch on my Wrangler. When I installed it a couple years ago, I had purchased a cover with it. However, the bumper I'm using recesses the winch very low in the bumper. It was darn near impossible to get the cover around the winch and secure it properly. So over the last couple years, I've let the synthetic line be exposed to the elements here in Iowa. Hot summers and cold winters. My question is, do synthetic lines need to be covered from the elements? Some say yes and some say no. Curious about the thoughts on this subject here at OB. Thanks.
uploadfromtaptalk1455279524141.jpguploadfromtaptalk1455279535355.jpg

I bought a bumper that allows me to move my winch around. So i could weld a reciever on the front of my trailer... yep. I cheat lol.

Anyways. When i bought my winch the line was faded but i didnt think much of it. It had been exposed for about 3 years. It was well used and also exposed to salt water mud quite a bit

First time i dug it out of the truck box and used it to pull a parts truck up on my trailer the line broke and the truck rolled off the trailer down the hill and into the ditch. Awesome....

So i bought new stuff from tractor supply for 125$ and been using the crap out if it for about a year.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Wonder if the salt water was the big contributing factor to the line degrading and snapping. Nice set up by the way.

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Wonder if the salt water was the big contributing factor to the line degrading and snapping. Nice set up by the way.
i thought it relevant to the discussion for sure. the way it eats on everything else is despicable... my poor bronco is going under the knife as we speak for rain rail and cab corner repair. i would imagine road salt from cars in front of you might bring a small but comparable effect on your rope...

my rope was faded to about 50% of its original color and was starting to get a little fuzzy. then *pop*

so i wouldnt worry until it looks like that lol

Reactions: ShawnR

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

I'd be interested to know others views on this too. About to replace mine with a synthetic rope. I've been advised to remove it to protect it from the elements when not in use for long periods. Also I was advised that covers tend to cause more issues because they keep the damp inside.

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

I'd be interested to know others views on this too. About to replace mine with a synthetic rope. I've been advised to remove it to protect it from the elements when not in use for long periods. Also I was advised that covers tend to cause more issues because they keep the damp inside.
it makes sense that the cover would hold moisture... no bueno

Lipek

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Not all synthetic lines are equal. I'd suggest looking to buy a good synthetic line such as Dyneema- high abrasion resistance and excellent tensile strength rope Coated with polyurethane added UV and chemical resistance.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I'd think yes the elements would reduce the safety and lifespan of the synthetic line.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Interesting. Can't win either way. I'm definitely keeping mine on all the time. With the snow and stuff never know when I might need to pull someone out of the ditch. Or myself. lol I guess every few months I'll do a tension test and see how it's holding up. I'll just grab onto a tree and test the tension.

Reactions: N4lo

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Not all synthetic lines are equal. I'd suggest looking to buy a good synthetic line such as Dyneema- high abrasion resistance and excellent tensile strength rope Coated with polyurethane added UV and chemical resistance.
Good info. When I have to replace it, I'll keep that in mind.

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

Interesting. Can't win either way. I'm definitely keeping mine on all the time. With the snow and stuff never know when I might need to pull someone out of the ditch. Or myself. lol I guess every few months I'll do a tension test and see how it's holding up. I'll just grab onto a tree and test the tension.
Thinking to keep it covered but also remove the cover regularly to let it dry out. Which for me translates to I'll forget and it will stay covered or not...

Reactions: seb and ShawnR

Maxterra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West Haven, Utah
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Horting
Member #

I just replaced my synthetic line with new synthetic again after 4+ years.
In the old bumper, the top of the drum was partially exposed and I had a regular hook clipped onto the shackle, but that part of the line had an abrasion sleeve over it.
It was all quite faded and much stiffer than the new line. What was under the top wrap on the drum looked much better, so I cut the faded portion off and threaded loops into each end to have as a line extender.
The new bumper is much more closed in, and I went with a flat link this time so almost nothing is exposed except the thimble.
Might have to cut that back and rethread at some point.

When I went away from the steel cable and roller fairlead, it seems like those weighed in at almost 40 lbs, so a good weight reduction and much safer.

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

In the old bumper, the top of the drum was partially exposed and I had a regular hook clipped onto the shackle, but that part of the line had an abrasion sleeve over it.
It was all quite faded and much stiffer than the new line. What was under the top wrap on the drum looked much better, so I cut the faded portion off and threaded loops into each end to have as a line extender.
The new bumper is much more closed in, and I went with a flat link this time so almost nothing is exposed except the thimble.

When I went away from the steel cable and roller fairlead, it seems like those weighed in at almost 40 lbs, so a good weight reduction and much safer.
Never thought i would like an xterra.

But i like yours.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army

That is sweet!

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

UV exposure and petroleum product contamination are the greatest risks to anything synthetic, winch lines, climbing ropes, nylon straps etc. if you look up safety testing on climbing gear you can see the affects that dirt, water, oil, etc on things like climbing ropes and harnesses. The synthetic fibers used in winch lines are similar so you can make some inferences.

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

UV exposure and petroleum product contamination are the greatest risks to anything synthetic, winch lines, climbing ropes, nylon straps etc. if you look up safety testing on climbing gear you can see the affects that dirt, water, oil, etc on things like climbing ropes and harnesses. The synthetic fibers used in winch lines are similar so you can make some inferences.
Outstanding information @roamingtimber

Well done!

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Absolutely true... My son worked on a crabbing vessel ( Arctic Lady) in the Bering Sea for 4 years.. Line of choice was Amsteel Blue, which is a Dyneema line.. Impervious to UV, salt, etc etc. don't ever cheap out on winch line. Stick with quality, pay the price.. Amsteel Blue or Viking are both quality winch lines, that if cared for properly will last a very long time.

John Galt

Rank III

Advocate II

Bend, OR
Absolutely true... My son worked on a crabbing vessel ( Arctic Lady) in the Bering Sea for 4 years.. Line of choice was Amsteel Blue, which is a Dyneema line.. Impervious to UV, salt, etc etc. don't ever cheap out on winch line. Stick with quality, pay the price.. Amsteel Blue or Viking are both quality winch lines, that if cared for properly will last a very long time.
I am also a fisherman in the Bering Sea and have been for a long time. We use synthetic for just about everything now (unless its a piece of rigging that is exposed to extreme heat). Like the others have said, "not all synthetic line is created equal." You have a range from cheap Taiwanese Spectra that I wouldn't trust all the way to Dynex Dux. It just matters on your budget and what you are trying to achieve. Amsteal Blue is a good SK75 that isnt too expensive. That is what I run on my winch. If you want to go with the best go with Dynex Dux that has the factory overbraid dyneema cover and eye. (I believe Masterpull calls this "Superline" or something like that), but be ready to empty your pocket book. UV probably is the worst "element" for synthetic, but even so we are getting 7-10 years out of our lines that dont chafe. However, when your synthetic line starts to go, replace it. It will continue to break and fail.

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

For the record Hams use Dyneema line to hang antennas for the same reason. Not only is it UV safe, it also doesn't stretch.