Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

Looking to put a sye on my 2000 Cherokee. It has a 4.5” lift on it. Someone suggested doing a tap and hack sye vs the sye where the transfer case is opened up. Not sure which one to go with. The Jeep is my daily driver.

grover

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Silver Springs, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Grover
Member #

I have a transfer case that I installed an SYE in, and I have another that I did a hack'n tap.

I personally don't think one was harder to install over the other. Yes you open the case with the SYE but it's not that difficult. The hack'n tap requires some careful cutting of the output shaft (often done while the vehicle is running on jackstands) and a careful drilling and tapping (don't break your tap off in the output shaft!).

I would say the SYE is more involved, but also more straight forward. The hack'n tap has a lot more chance for things to go wrong.

I did the SYE on an XJ with an np231 (part time transfer case), and the hack'n tap on an XJ with an np242 (full time AND part time transfer case). The SYE kits are cheaper for the np231 than they are for the np242. If money is no object then I would do an SYE. I think you need to be equally handy to install either.

jarredBrown

Rank II

Enthusiast III

USA
First Name
jarred
Last Name
brown
I have a transfer case that I installed an SYE in, and I have another that I did a hack'n tap.

I personally don't think one was harder to install over the other. Yes you open the case with the SYE but it's not that difficult. The hack'n tap requires some careful cutting 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 of the output shaft (often done while the vehicle is running on jackstands) and a careful drilling and tapping (don't break your tap off in the output shaft!).

I would say the SYE is more involved, but also more straight forward. The hack'n tap has a lot more chance for things to go wrong.

I did the SYE on an XJ with an np231 (part time transfer case), and the hack'n tap on an XJ with an np242 (full time AND part time transfer case). The SYE kits are cheaper for the np231 than they are for the np242. If money is no object then I would do an SYE. I think you need to be equally handy to install either.
I'm having some difficulties installing it what would you recommend

Last edited:

grover

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Neil
Last Name
Grover
Member #

I personally don't think one was harder to install over the other. Yes you open the case with the SYE but it's not that difficult. The hack'n tap requires some careful cutting of the output shaft (often done while the vehicle is running on jackstands) and a careful drilling and tapping (don't break your tap off in the output shaft!).

I'm having some difficulties installing it what would you recommend
What are you stuck on? I know there are some snap rings and a dust cover that can be tricky without the right tools. A good set of snap ring pliers will do wonders and shouldn't cost to much.

HYRYSC

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Southwest Missouri
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Conn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0YIN
After having done both myself, I do like the simplicity of the hack n tap. I once thought that the SYE would be stronger, but after having both in different rigs, I never had any issues with either of them.

The SYE is pretty straightforward, but can be a bit daunting. Course it is also a bit daunting to start cutting off part of your driveshaft while laying under a running Jeep.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I have done dozens of each over the years with NAXJA. Personally I just do the H&T in the car. I cut the shaft with an abrasive wheel clean it up flat, mark , drill, and tap the hole and presto you are done. Been running a H&T for over 500k miles.

Reactions: 9Mike2 and HYRYSC

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

Thank you, I will get the Hack and Tap kit from Iron Rock and front driveshaft from a local pull apart.

grover

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Neil
Last Name
Grover
Member #

Thank you, I will get the Hack and Tap kit from Iron Rock and front driveshaft from a local pull apart.
I recommend getting the drill jig as well.

Don't just buy a front driveshaft without measuring first. Not all front XJ driveshafts are the same length. Driveshaft length will depend on your specific drive train combination and lift. I have a 5 speed manual and I can't run any XJ front drive shaft in my rear (slip yoke or sye).

This site has a good list of junk yard donor driveshafts and their lengths:

I wound up using a 33" front driveshaft out of a 4.0 ZJ.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9Mike2 and HYRYSC

HYRYSC

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Southwest Missouri
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Conn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0YIN

When drilling, TAKE IT SLOW! You are drilling into a very hard surface so do not do this when you don't have the time to take it slowly. Literally the first time I did one I probably took 15 minutes just to drill the hole. I used a jig, used a ton of cutting fluid and probably only went 1/16th of an inch at a time then backed out the drill each time to clean out the hole. Probably overkill but once it's done, it's done.

Reactions: 9Mike2 and grover

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

For those who are as clueless as I was 5-min ago:

SYE = Slip Yoke Eliminator

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
When I've do things like this, I wrap the item to be cut with masking tape, using the edge as my guide. If you take your time, the tape will be straight. If not, pull it off and rewrap.

Reactions: HYRYSC