Fair Oaks Ranch, TX, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Simpson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5EO
Purchased a used Patriot X2 and it has Toyota hubs, I'd like to switch to Jeep 5x5. While I'm mechanically inclined and happy to do the work, I've never worked on hubs! Any suggestions of how go about this? Thanks!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hub swaps on a trailer is super duper easy… you just take off the Toyota hubs by removing the lock nut, lock washer, and torque nut. Boom the hub slides off… next grab your Jeep hub and reassemble in reverse order… the torque nut is the tricky one, spin the hub counter clockwise as you tighten the nut down until the hub can’t spin any more. Then back off the nut 1/4 turn. Place the lock washer on, adjust the night slightly until the locking tangs make contact with the correct spot on the nut. Lastly screw the locknut down as tight as you can and bend up the locking tabs of the lock ring to secure the nut.

It probably took me twice as long to type all of this than it takes to swap one hub.

This also assumes you have standard trailer axles that take normal bearings… if the axle uses uni-bearings, the process is similar, but easier, as they use a special torque/locknut combination.

scotticus

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Fair Oaks Ranch, TX, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Simpson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5EO
As an update, hubs are available through Cruisemaster via Austrailia for the suspension on the X2. Sloop Imports told me lead times are considerable. That project is going on the back burner for a while.