SW Idaho Overlanding

• HTML tutorial

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Hello, George here.

I just found out about this forum. I have been on the Expedition Portal for a few years now so though I would start a thread here too.

I plan trips and invite people who may want to join in on the adventure. I will be posting trip updates here so if you are interested subscribe.

In general I stay in the desert with occasional ventures into the mountains. I look for interesting places to go and interesting roads to travel. Most are day trips, but I do sometimes stay out a day or two.

Looking forward to meeting you! George.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Winter Wonderland:
Jan 20
Time: 7:00am
Meet Place: K-mart Parking Lot 1813 Caldwell Blvd, Nampa
Destination: Owyhee Foothills
Estimated Duration: Day
Estimated Distance: 84 miles

Posting the first trip of 2018. Winter wonderland will take us out to the foothills of the Owyhee Mountains near Succor Creek State Park Oregon. This trip will use roads that I have never been on before and will take us places that should be interesting in landscape and road types. The chosen route may need rerouting depending on access and/or road conditions during this time of year. This trip does reach 5000 feet and in January there may be some snow, or lots. Snow levels may change routes or cause cancellation of trip.

Some tree cutting tools may be needed in this trip such as saws, pruners or machete.

This is not a guided tour and you are responsible for your own safety if you should decide to join us.

5ff8aff8-5553-46fe-9a0f-2d1814aa5798.jpg

22525c86-9769-4bf2-a033-ba4c7fddf53a_l.jpg

Last edited:

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Hello, George here.

I just found out about this forum. I have been on the Expedition Portal for a few years now so though I would start a thread here too.

I plan trips and invite people who may want to join in on the adventure. I will be posting trip updates here so if you are interested subscribe.

In general I stay in the desert with occasional ventures into the mountains. I look for interesting places to go and interesting roads to travel. Most are day trips, but I do sometimes stay out a day or two.

Looking forward to meeting you! George.
Hello George...checked out one of your trips yesterday on YouTube and just love your rig. Had a 1984 Grand Wagoneer myself...love the classics...keep up the good work and adventures..hope to meet up sometime in the future since we are neighbors...

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Hello George...checked out one of your trips yesterday on YouTube and just love your rig. Had a 1984 Grand Wagoneer myself...love the classics...keep up the good work and adventures..hope to meet up sometime in the future since we are neighbors...
Thanks for taking time to view my videos. The Jeep has been a great platform for my trips and I think it is loved by many as well as myself.

It would be great if you can join us on one of our trips. There should be a few multi day trips coming up. I would think those would work the best for you since you have to drive a ways. Stay tuned. George.

Reactions: Chadlyb

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Mordor v3.0
June 7-10th 2018

This trip is not planned by me, but I have been in contact with the planner and all are welcome to come along. I attended last years event and had a great time and saw some areas of Idaho that I have not seen before. The organizer knows the area well so there are plenty of opportunities for exploration.

This years event sounds like it will have a stationary base camp with outings going out each day.

If anyone is interested we can set up a meeting place in Boise area and caravan out. More details will be available as we get closer.

Videos from last years trip.

Day 1: Day 2: Day 3: Day 4:
Parent thread for the trip.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=68730&p=1220200#p1220200

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Winter Wonderland:
Jan 20
Meet Place: K-mart Parking Lot 1813 Caldwell Blvd, Nampa and Jackson's/Shell 101 E Idaho Ave, Homedale.

Take note there are now two meeting places for those that may find Homedale a closer location for them.
Posting the first trip of 2018. Winter wonderland will take us out to the foothills of the Owyhee Mountains near Succor Creek State Park Oregon. This trip will use roads that I have never been on before and will take us places that should be interesting in landscape and road types. The chosen route may need rerouting depending on access and/or road conditions during this time of year. This trip does reach 5000 feet and in January there may be some snow, or lots. Snow levels may change routes or cause cancellation of trip.

Some tree cutting tools may be needed in this trip such as saws, pruners or machete.

This is not a guided tour and you are responsible for your own safety if you should decide to join us.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Happy New Year!

With the New Year comes the new memories. Lets make the most of it.....

So with the cold outside it does make for some down time to plan for the 2018 year. These are trips that I am planning right now for this year.

Jan 20-Winter Wonderland: a day trip into the nearby foot hills. Could include some snow wheeling or mud or both. Subject to cancellation if there is too much snow/mud at time of trip.

Feb-Nothing planned unless Winter Wonderland gets canceled. In which case we may try again in February .

Apr-A Bogus Trip?: A overnight trip into the wilds of the high desert. This trip will include quite a bit of ancient to recent history. Some lava travel will be included in this trip. If you like different road conditions, this one may be for you.

Jun 7,8,9,10-Mordor: A revisit to the Central Idaho High Desert. Had a great time last year so I am happy to announce a revisit to the same area for another adventure.

Jul-467: Should start to be getting hot by this time so it is time to turn towards the high mountains. This will be a overnighter and will include a great run (I hope) on a rugged mountain road that reaches 7200+feet. Here is a clip of the road, they did it in a van so should be a piece of cake, right?
Aug-By invite only:

Oct 4,5,6,7-Steens/Alvord:
Yes the place is in the title. Well everyone knows where this place is and what it is now. Gone are the real days of the Alvord/Steens high adventures and isolation, but it is what it is. This 4 day trip is to meet up with some other Full Sized Jeep drivers, but I don't discriminate, all are welcome. This trip will circle the Steens with stops at a few choice locations just to see just how bad it has gotten in the past few years. Maybe I can still pull a rabbit out of my hat.....

Hey this is the plan, but it is subject to change at a moments notice. For all up to date trip info stay tuned and don't forget to subscribe to the thread.

All trips are planned, but due to unexpected circumstances such as weather, land conditions, road conditions, private lands, restricted lands, ect. routes may need to be altered, rerouted or abandoned all together. It is part of the experience of seat of the pants Overlanding.

And as usual this is not a guided tour and all who attend are ultimately responsible for their own safety. I am not responsible for damage, injury and or death. You partake under your own free will knowing the dangers of such activities.

See you on the Trails, George.

Last edited:
Reactions: OffroadTreks

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
This trip is two weeks out. Snow levels are looking promising....

Winter Wonderland:
Jan 20
Meet Place: K-mart Parking Lot 1813 Caldwell Blvd, Nampa and Jackson's/Shell 101 E Idaho Ave, Homedale.

Take note there are now two meeting places for those that may find Homedale a closer location for them.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
This trip is 1 week out. Snow levels are looking promising, weather is looking good....

Winter Wonderland:
Jan 20

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Weather forecast for today (Friday) is light rain/snow in the morning, tapering off in the afternoon and clear skies for the evening.

Saturday is showing Sunny and 45 degrees for the high. This should give the ground plenty of time to soak up the excessive water, but still make it fun in places.

Snow depths are showing Trace to 2" at the highest points of this trip. Those could be gone by time we get there.

Morning temps are 27 degrees which will keep most mud solid. Will have to monitor closely as we move along.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Winter Wonderland after action:

Seven vehicles showed up for this adventure. With the recent rains there was a question to how much mud we would run into. Luckily it was really not too bad until the last bit of the trip. Eventually the mud did cancel a portion of the route, but a good time was had already.

The beginning of the trip started with a great little canyon with a highlight of about 20 stream crossings. With the recent rains it made these crossing a bit more fun since there was plenty of water running. The trail was tight, but the full sized vehicles with the group showed their nimbleness nevertheless. I was pretty impressed at just what a full size could get through. Then it was the climb up into the high desert. The road threw a bunch of different driving conditions at us as we slowly climbed higher and higher. Great scenery and wildlife was enjoyed as we bumped along the road. Trail conditions began to fail as we began our decent into another large canyon. Soon we where sliding more than driving. There was one hairy spot, but all made it through fine, whew....! The last obstacle was a small stream crossing with a steep bank on the opposite side. Great fun as everyone made the attempt. All made it except one. Just as we thought he was stuck good he pulled a rabbit out of his hat!

We had great weather and conversation for lunch and then headed back out onto the trails.... At least we though. With the weather warming up, the frozen mud started to thaw, making the next trail a slippery mess. We called it a day at that point. A great day still to get out on the trails.

Thanks to all who showed up for this adventure. See you on the next trip, George.

DSCF5462s.jpg DSCF5465s.jpg DSCF5466s.jpg DSCF5471s.jpg DSCN0449s.jpg DSCN0457s.jpg

Reactions: IdahoDan and britz

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
To Be Determined:
March 10, 2018
Meet Place: Ridley's Family Market 999 N Meridian Rd, Kuna, ID 83634
Estimated Distance: 85 miles (Ridley's to Ridley's) Trail miles are about 47 miles.

With needing to get the Jeep repaired (exhaust) and the change in weather I have been holding off on posting the next trip.

Well it is time to announce my next adventure which will be March 10, 2018. I will have to plan two trips with the primary trip being, why hide this one, Most everyone knows of Tiddie Springs right? If weather conditions go south for Tiddie Springs (too much snow) then I will pull out Bigfoot!

I have done Bigfoot a couple of times and it is a great little trail that runs near the Snake River and should be accessible snow or no snow. Some of you have been on this trip before. Not too technical but does get a bit rough in spots.

I will keep a eye on weather conditions and snow levels for the next two weeks and that will determine which trail I will take.

I have not done Tiddie Springs before, but it does look like it could be a bit technical in places and rough. Maybe some here who have done the trail can pipe in on there experiences. Snow levels as of right now show up to 8 inches of snow with this last snow fall. I don't think that would be bad unless it should drift in areas. Weather for Murphy looks promising as of right now. Here is a video of the route planned so if it looks a bit spooky for you remember there could be snow.....

Again, Some tree cutting tools may be needed in this trip such as saws, pruners or machete as well as snow moving tools such as shovels and snow blowers.....:-)

And as usual this is not a guided tour and all who attend are ultimately responsible for their own safety. I am not responsible for damage, injury and or death. You partake under your own free will knowing the dangers of such activities.

See you on the Trails, George.

Reactions: IdahoDan

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

We just did the beginning of Sinker Creek today, that was clear.

We tried to get to Tiddie Springs but it was a little too snowy and rough for our friends in their vehicle. The ruts are invisible in the snow so be careful.

We then tried Silver City. We made it to just around the corner from New York Summit, when my friends tires gave out and we had to break out the MaxTrax... needless to say we turned around and came down.

James

Reactions: afootorafloatLJ