Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Hello Tony (@texarkanacard ), welcome from Oklahoma. You have some good trails to choose from up in the Ouachita and Ozark National Forest.

You are in the Southwest Region. Check out the Southwest Region sub-forum for local information and involvement opportunities.

Here is the link to the forum calendar and Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups
Or to check out what other members are planning go here: Overland Trip Planning

I am the SW Region Member Rep so if you have any questions let me know.

texarkanacard

Rank I

Contributor III

Texarkana, AR, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Judd
Hello Tony (@texarkanacard ), welcome from Oklahoma. You have some good trails to choose from up in the Ouachita and Ozark National Forest.

You are in the Southwest Region. Check out the Southwest Region sub-forum for local information and involvement opportunities.

Here is the link to the forum calendar and Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups
Or to check out what other members are planning go here: Overland Trip Planning

I am the SW Region Member Rep so if you have any questions let me know.
Thanks Prerunner!

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I really need to make it over that way soon. Arkansas seems to do a nice job of preserving the old homesteads, schools, churches, and such in the National Forest for the public to enjoy.

LD5050

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Longview, Texas, USA
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

Welcome to OB! I’m not too far south of you in east Texas, but we head up to Ouchita at least twice a year. We’ve got our own forests here in ET, but they’re nothing like what you guys have up there

texarkanacard

Rank I

Contributor III

Texarkana, AR, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Judd
I've been in the to the Ozarks and Ouachitas on a couple of occasions. I'm still green when it comes to off-roading/overlanding. I bought my first 4wd about a year ago (2013 Nissan Xterra) and have done some beginner type trails with it. I think it's a lot more capable than I've done so far.

Reactions: Prerunner1982

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

The MVUM (Motor Vehicle Use Map) is where you must go to find the open routes.
Clink on the district links towards the bottom for each map.
If thats the case wolf pen gap is the only "trail" open to ohvs everything else is walking, mountain bike and horse. Until they put signs on the trails marking them off limits or not they are going to continue to have people run anywhere.

So this would be considered off limits since it in national forest but its not on any of the mmuv i can find?
Dropped pin
Near Nf 6025, Arkansas

Last edited:

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Straight copy of the bottom of that nfs link

FAQ

What
is an Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV)?
For purposes of travel management, the Ouachita National Forest has defined an OHV as one of the following:
1. An all-terrain vehicle that travels on three or more low-pressure tires; has handle bar steering; is less than or equal to 50 inches in width; and has a seat to be straddled by the operator;
2. A vehicle with a seat or saddle and designed to travel with two wheels in contact with the ground; or
3. A vehicle 64 inches or less in width, designed to travel on four or more low-pressure tires that has a bed for cargo.

Clearly were arent talking about trucks and suvs when the the mvum is mentioned. These are going to be trails you will clearly be able to tell its not for you just by general track width on the trail or foot or horse path.

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

There are a couple of special use only trails, some are also open to highway vehicles but I see many routes that are open. Wolf Pen Gap.PNG

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

If you go to street view and look around you see the sign that says to stay on designated rds and trail. But where do i find the mvum its not listed in nfs website?
Dropped pin
Near McCurtain County, OK
At the bottom of the link I posted previously, Oklahoma Ranger District.

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Straight copy of the bottom of that nfs link

FAQ
What
is an Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV)?
For purposes of travel management, the Ouachita National Forest has defined an OHV as one of the following:
1. An all-terrain vehicle that travels on three or more low-pressure tires; has handle bar steering; is less than or equal to 50 inches in width; and has a seat to be straddled by the operator;
2. A vehicle with a seat or saddle and designed to travel with two wheels in contact with the ground; or
3. A vehicle 64 inches or less in width, designed to travel on four or more low-pressure tires that has a bed for cargo.

Clearly were arent talking about trucks and suvs when the the mvum is mentioned. These are going to be trails you will clearly be able to tell its not for you just by general track width on the trail or foot or horse path.
They also mark the trails for Highway Legal Vehicles and ALL Vehicles.