• HTML tutorial

druff6991

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Carlsbad NM
Member #

Whoa, no ketchup on hot dogs. [emoji14]

Diesels are twice the cost across the board. Everything costs more money. Up front, at the pump, DEF, oil changes. MPG savings is feel goods for people who can't do math or see the big picture. You gotta own that diesel for a long time before it averages out. And modern gasser performs just as good and are just as reliable these days. Sure you might not be able to make as much torque or put a million miles on it. But for average folks who are going to own a vehicle for 3-5yrs, gas is a good option still. Don't discount it totally.

I used to be an IFS guy, and it was pretty decent in our old SUV rig, but I tried wheeling an half ton and that got old. Having front and rear solid axles, I get Jeep guys now. I get it. It's the way go. Less things to break offroad. No worrying about breaking CV's and tie rods.

One consideration though might be to investigate the aftermarket for the platform you pick in advance. Especially in terms of lift and suspension. I found when I had the half ton, the options were more geared towards mall crawlers. You could get 6 inches of lift but your rig would have bad geometry. And generally terrible on technical terrain.

Desert running, for some goofy reason, has become very popular with 3/4 ton guys. And even if it's not your thing, it's opened up a lot in the aftermarket community in terms of quality suspension components.
Speak for your own gas engines! Haha.

Mines got 300,000 miles on it and shows no signs of stopping.....minus the overheating on a hot day when stopped in traffic. But I honestly think that's cause it idles at 500 rpm so the fans doing literally nothing. Also seen many a 5.3L hit over the 500,000 mile mark. Just cause their gas doesn't mean they're not tough.

I know with all the new gizmos the OEMs put on the new engines is fancy and all but it's a bigger failure point in my eyes. But getting an older one that's just allowed to be a v8, it's all in how you maintain them and treat them.

Anyone can destroy any engine with the lack of maintenance and pushing it beyond it's limits, whether it's a gas or diesel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app

bpiles

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kentucky
Kind
I am building my truck over buying a SUV because I want lockable storage so I can leave the truck for weeks if I want. My plan is a windowless utility cap.
Kinda what I thought. I like the idea of being able to pull it off in a few minutes if I need the truck bed. And all my gear not being able to get up to us in the event of an accident.

Delete Me

Rank I

Contributor III

Texas
Use what you've got or if your buying something, then figure out your circumstances. I have a pickup because I need the bed on occasion to haul stuff. Yeah, I could have bought a utility trailer too but I live on a tiny lot and don't have much room to keep things around the house. Oh ... and I can't afford a dedicated overlanding vehicle.

Diesel pickup? Crazy idea. Just a strong opinion of mine. I could talk for an hour on this topic. I just sold my 6.4 Superduty and bought a 5.0L F150. If you can't turn a wrench then you shouldn't be driving an emissions diesel engine. My opinion. If your use to driving a gas vehicle then you have no idea how expensive diesel parts can be. Changing out the high pressure fuel pump in my 6.4 was more expensive then the entire diesel package when the truck was bought. And offroad? Gosh gosh gosh. But truck camper guys will run SRW and haul hard side campers offroad. Start talking crew cab and long bed and your not so agile any longer. Sorry ... this thread is not about diesel good/bad. Getting off topic.

I'd rather have an SUV but circumstances move me to drive a pickup.

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

I always preferred Mary Ann over Ginger.
Me too. Which is odd, because redheads are my kryptonite.

Back to the subject at hand, though, I've always been a truck guy until now. I did have a Bronco some time back, but that was simply a matter of the right price at the right time. My last off-road toy was a Chevy truck, but it got stolen. The Xterra was bought with the specific idea of having a dual purpose rig: daily driver and off-road toy. These days, I prefer the SUV over a truck for these reasons: my stuff stays dry, my stuff is secure (-ish; locked doors and glass aren't going to stop someone who is really determined), and people don't call me to help them move any more.

Reactions: boss324

crit_pw

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Silt, Colorado
Member #

Whoa, no ketchup on hot dogs. :p

Diesels are twice the cost across the board. Everything costs more money. Up front, at the pump, DEF, oil changes. MPG savings is feel goods for people who can't do math or see the big picture. You gotta own that diesel for a long time before it averages out. And modern gasser performs just as good and are just as reliable these days. Sure you might not be able to make as much torque or put a million miles on it. But for average folks who are going to own a vehicle for 3-5yrs, gas is a good option still. Don't discount it totally.

I used to be an IFS guy, and it was pretty decent in our old SUV rig, but I tried wheeling an half ton and that got old. Having front and rear solid axles, I get Jeep guys now. I get it. It's the way go. Less things to break offroad. No worrying about breaking CV's and tie rods.

One consideration though might be to investigate the aftermarket for the platform you pick in advance. Especially in terms of lift and suspension. I found when I had the half ton, the options were more geared towards mall crawlers. You could get 6 inches of lift but your rig would have bad geometry. And generally terrible on technical terrain.

Desert running, for some goofy reason, has become very popular with 3/4 ton guys. And even if it's not your thing, it's opened up a lot in the aftermarket community in terms of quality suspension components.
As an owner of multiple diesel rigs and the cost associated with making them capable off road there are reasons I went back to gas.
1. I don't haul enough to justify the cost of the diesel up front
2. The maintenance on the diesel is higher overall (Oil changes, fuel, filters,etc...)
3. Who doesn't love the sound and response of a V8?
4. I ran into many situations where I could not find a diesel pump when travelling and suffered the pucker factor hoping the next station up the highway had diesel
5. The most off-road capable trucks from the factory available were gas
6. Performance upgrades for the gas motor on a new rig are easier to find after the EPA crackdown in 2012 without worrying about fines and such
7. Like Bold Adventure said Desert running has become very popular with the 3/4 ton crown opening a whole chest of options for suspension/accessories/performance.

Now back to the original question SUV or truck??? For me it was truck because I do still haul and tow. If I didn't need the bed to haul from time to time I may have considered an SUV...ahh who am I kidding I have always been a truck guy so for me it would always be the truck over an SUV. My 2 boys grew up in the back seat of an extended cab Dodge 2500 and hated riding in mom's SUV until I put a DVD/Screen in the back seat for them. Now they are both grown and the oldest drives my old 2500 Gasser (Nicely modified) and the youngest is hunting for his first V8 truck.

Reactions: OffroadTreks

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I prefer SUVs. I think many Americans buy pick-ups thinking they have to have it but then very rarely actually use them for what they're intended. Most pick-ups are used to cart around the family and rarely, if ever, use the bed for actual hauling loads. I suppose the same could be said for many SUVs too (i.e. they aren't used as sport or utility vehicles).

Back on topic: What kind of monster puts ketchup on a hot dog?