SUV OR PICK-UP

• HTML tutorial

bpiles

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kentucky
Ok so I'm brand new to this. Haven't even started building a rig yet. Hoping to start building one in the next few weeks. But my question is, which is more preferred? I will be doing some light towing but nothing huge.

druff6991

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Carlsbad NM
Member #

Depends on what year it is. If it's newer, most suvs have independent rear suspension. I prefer to have atleast one straight axle.

But that's me and I like the tougher rockier trailers. A few members have some pretty mean Subarus

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

That's like asking which is better, Ketchup or Mustard on your hot dog. :tearsofjoy:

The only person who can answer that is you. All any of us can do is offer our opinions. We tow quite a bit, and needed a rig to do double duty. Most SUV's aren't ideally suited for towing large trailers. Just smaller ones under 19 ft.

But I mean, what do you want to do with your rig? What are your goals and objectives? Your needs and wants? What kind of terrain do you want to be able to tackle? Etc?

Reactions: crit_pw

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Yeah everyone has different needs. I bought a 2500 Suburban new in 03 had visions of a boat, travel trailer and hauling a family of 6. If I didn't need to haul cargo and people I'd probably do a zr2 Colorado or f150 fx4 or Silverado 2500 Z71 oh forgot about a Dodge power wagon...lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Reactions: crit_pw

bpiles

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kentucky
The biggest thing I would be pulling at the moment would be atvs or the boat. I'd like to stay with a Ford product seein as I work at the truck plant. Thinking fx4 150 with a removeable topper. But I'm always up for suggestions.

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

The biggest thing I would be pulling at the moment would be atvs or the boat. I'd like to stay with a Ford product seein as I work at the truck plant. Thinking fx4 150 with a removeable topper. But I'm always up for suggestions.
If staying with Ford that would be my choice! Maybe a F250 fx4 crew cab short bed a toss up!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using OB Talk mobile app

bpiles

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kentucky
And Iv wasted enough money trying to fix diesel trucks.haha. I can do most of the work on a gas myself.

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Why? Diesel is a much better option, and the new Scorpion Ford came out with as the power stroke is turning out to be a very good engine.
For overlanding the deisel would be ideal due to the range and torque. But hey my FRPP Boss 5.0 iron big bore stroker on my Marauder sounds so saweet so I get it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

Whoa, no ketchup on hot dogs. :p

Diesels are twice the cost across the board. Everything costs more money. Up front, at the pump, DEF, oil changes. MPG savings is feel goods for people who can't do math or see the big picture. You gotta own that diesel for a long time before it averages out. And modern gasser performs just as good and are just as reliable these days. Sure you might not be able to make as much torque or put a million miles on it. But for average folks who are going to own a vehicle for 3-5yrs, gas is a good option still. Don't discount it totally.

I used to be an IFS guy, and it was pretty decent in our old SUV rig, but I tried wheeling an half ton and that got old. Having front and rear solid axles, I get Jeep guys now. I get it. It's the way go. Less things to break offroad. No worrying about breaking CV's and tie rods.

One consideration though might be to investigate the aftermarket for the platform you pick in advance. Especially in terms of lift and suspension. I found when I had the half ton, the options were more geared towards mall crawlers. You could get 6 inches of lift but your rig would have bad geometry. And generally terrible on technical terrain.

Desert running, for some goofy reason, has become very popular with 3/4 ton guys. And even if it's not your thing, it's opened up a lot in the aftermarket community in terms of quality suspension components.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Go for a jeep JK, you can configure it as both. Just kidding!

I'm with the majority opinion, only you can make this call. I have had trucks and SUVs. I have been equally happy with both, for different reasons. I'm currently considering a truck, because there are no body on frame SUV's with Diesels sold in the US. For long distance travel, Diesel can provide greater range between refills. This is a compelling reason for me, but others may see this as an unimportant consideration. I'm partial to live axles (aka Solid Axles) both front and rear with ladder frames (aka Body on Frame). These are hi priority for me, but would be meaningless to others. How I use my vehicle, therefore the features I’m looking for, are probably different than yours. You have to measure all available data, against your person use case. This will drive you towards YOUR perfect vehicle.

Reactions: boss324