Contributor I

Irvine, CA, USA
First Name
Binh
Last Name
Dang
Member #

Hi everyone,
I’m looking for recommendations for a suspension upgrade. 2019 4Runner TRD Off Road with KDSS. I’m looking to go off roading once or twice a month. Nothing crazy like rock crawling. I’m looking at Bilsteins but am open to any and all suggestions.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Having done half a dozen suspension upgrades on my various offroad vehicles, my recommendation is to to target a specific deficiency and figure out how to fix it. In your case, an extra inch of lift in the rear via simple spacers would give you ~200lb of extra weight capacity before the rig appears to "sag," without stiffening the ride like most aftermarket springs. And it will cost you maybe $150, professionally installed.

Now, I won't pretend we also don't want our vehicles to look good. If you also want it to look relatively level, then yes, you will have to go with stiffer rear coils, but your offroad ride quality will suffer. My previous 4Runner had ~600lb of permanent armor and gear, and I followed the standard "XXX springs for YYY additional weight" guidelines. Sure it didn't "sag," but it rode like a hotwheels car and had my kid's head bobbling around like a rag doll on mild offroad trails. I redid the whole suspension, losing about an inch of lift in the process, and ended up with a cadillac offroad ride through which my kid could nap as I lifted tires.

Bottom line, don't let yourself get wrapped up in which upgrades are "best," but focus on specific deficiencies.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

If you want a mild lift w/ some extra support in the rear do some research on Headstrong offroad or call Marie and speak to her. Since you don't have leaf springs like a tacoma I'm not 100% sure of what's available out there but I would think some bilstein 5100's with heavier springs should do the trick

Reactions: ocblizzard

ocblizzard

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Irvine, CA, USA
First Name
Binh
Last Name
Dang
Member #

Having done half a dozen suspension upgrades on my various offroad vehicles, my recommendation is to to target a specific deficiency and figure out how to fix it. In your case, an extra inch of lift in the rear via simple spacers would give you ~200lb of extra weight capacity before the rig appears to "sag," without stiffening the ride like most aftermarket springs. And it will cost you maybe $150, professionally installed.

Now, I won't pretend we also don't want our vehicles to look good. If you also want it to look relatively level, then yes, you will have to go with stiffer rear coils, but your offroad ride quality will suffer. My previous 4Runner had ~600lb of permanent armor and gear, and I followed the standard "XXX springs for YYY additional weight" guidelines. Sure it didn't "sag," but it rode like a hotwheels car and had my kid's head bobbling around like a rag doll on mild offroad trails. I redid the whole suspension, losing about an inch of lift in the process, and ended up with a cadillac offroad ride through which my kid could nap as I lifted tires.

Bottom line, don't let yourself get wrapped up in which upgrades are "best," but focus on specific deficiencies.
Thanks for your detailed response! I appreciate it. So I don’t need a lift, but I would like to keep the front leveled. Right now I have spacers in the front. What did you end up with suspension that gave you a comfortable ride and kept your truck leveled?

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Thanks for your detailed response! I appreciate it. So I don’t need a lift, but I would like to keep the front leveled. Right now I have spacers in the front. What did you end up with suspension that gave you a comfortable ride and kept your truck leveled?
To be honest "leveled" and "doesn't sag under loads" is only possible with very stiff rear suspensions. If you want a supple ride that can handle descent loads, you might have to accept a little bit of rake (as all trucks and SUVs are designed).

Do you only have spacers in the front? How tall are they? IIRC 2" spacers in the front will "level" a non-Pro 5th gen 4Runner. But, you toss a cooler in the back and it will be sagging. You might consider simply adding spacers back in the rear as the simplest option.

Our 2016 TRD Pro 4Runner is lifted 2" front and rear to match the factory rake and load capacity (without sagging), but it was my 3rd gen that had all the carefully-selected components so that probably won't help you much.