Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

I currently own a Tacoma which I lifted to add extra flex/travel and fit 33s and that is all great. I love the OME suspension and the suspension's performance offroad. Nonetheless, for other reasons, I am debating switching to a ZR2. However, as I've been researching the new Colorados further, I've noticed that upgrading the suspension seems much more of a tedious process than with Tacomas. I'd love for any Colorado owners to chime in with some info or guidance for me...

Given the shape of the front wheelwells/fenders, it seems unrealistic to fit 33s without rubbing when flexing, even on the ZR2, which has an extra ~1.5 inches of suspension I believe. For a Tacoma the next step would be "well I need to lift it to fit 33s without rubbing" which is understandable. Then you choose your suspension upgrade such as Bilsteins, OME, Icon, Fox, etc etc. However, I'm not seeing many suspension lift options for the Colorado. Just the opposite, I see many spacer lift options for them, which I avoid because of the reduction of potential flex/travel they cause.

The ZR2 looks like a solid offroading platform stock, however I'm not a fan of the rear shock mounts hanging so low, and I would want to fit 33s. So my question for Colorado drivers is, does anyone run 33s on a newer Colorado without a spacer lift? If so please post what lift, who did it, complications/lessons learned, etc.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. - I did search for threads with info on the ZR2 etc, but I haven't found confirmation of these specific questions.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Zr2 aint much different than my z71 differences are front diff locker front skid/bumper and camaro shocks. Weve already been over lifting options on colorados in another post. My truck runs 33" mud tire on 3 inch spacer and shackle lift and dont rub. Now with a zr2's softer suspension and if you plan on doing big jumps like a trophy truck you may stuff 33" tires into the fenders. Your not gonna find a ton of folks doing suspension work to zr2 since they are pretty capable from the factory and its an expensive endeavor.
This is how much room you have with 33" on a z71 id imagine witb the lack of bumper area a zr2 would be better.
You can even see the spacers even thought thats not what you want. Any way you try to package it a 3 inch lift is a 3inch lift and 33s dont change size unless aired down.
20190323_111633.jpg

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

If there’s not a lot of info available here is the best thing you could do
pick up a spare rim have a used tire put on get it up and jack stands
Pull out the strut And unhook the sway bar
Put the 33 on there and cycle the suspension to max stuff and take notes on where it rubs .
It may only require a little trimming/massaging of metal to get things to clear just make sure to have at least a extra inch of clearance past the tire to account for it being a used tire .

Reactions: rescueninja

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Stock height the ZR2 clears a 32" tire no mud flaps. Level kits well raise the front 1-1.5 inches and gives you a bit more tire clearance. For a 33" tire you need to trim the bottom rear of the wheelwell, cut some steel and trim and shape the plastic. There are several threads on coloradofans.com that have diy's on doing this. I have a local offroad shop that has a tech that specializes in this, $300 job with warranty. I'm going with a 255/80/17, these run just over 33" at just over 50lbs.

Lot of aftermarket support for the ZR now, there was nothing when I bought mine 2.5 years ago. You can do a 4" BDS lit and run 35's, from reading the forums if you go bigger than 35" you start breaking parts. You may feel the need for a gear change with bigger tires, I'm running 4.10's with the stock 31's right now, it's a hot rod tuned and geared.

Reactions: geekyadam

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Stock height the ZR2 clears a 32" tire no mud flaps. Level kits well raise the front 1-1.5 inches and gives you a bit more tire clearance. For a 33" tire you need to trim the bottom rear of the wheelwell, cut some steel and trim and shape the plastic. There are several threads on coloradofans.com that have diy's on doing this. I have a local offroad shop that has a tech that specializes in this, $300 job with warranty. I'm going with a 255/80/17, these run just over 33" at just over 50lbs.

Lot of aftermarket support for the ZR now, there was nothing when I bought mine 2.5 years ago. You can do a 4" BDS lit and run 35's, from reading the forums if you go bigger than 35" you start breaking parts. You may feel the need for a gear change with bigger tires, I'm running 4.10's with the stock 31's right now, it's a hot rod tuned and geared.
What is the stock gearing in the ZR2s?

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
What is the stock gearing in the ZR2s?
Stock is 3.42, you can get 4.10's or 4.56's. The charts show 4.10's with 33's is like 3.73's and oem 31" tires. The Trifecta tune makes a substantial difference in the trucks drivability. The gear change makes a even bigger improvement, even without the tune.
These mods well most likely void any warranty depending on the dealer. Tune effects any engine internal damage, should not effect leaks or emission equipment. Gears well void differential warranty. I drove my truck for 8-10 months before I started modding, I was pretty sure I had a good truck, sofar it's been great, drives so much better.

Reactions: geekyadam

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Just FYI for anyone looking in this thread for more info on this stuff, I've found out that 589 Fabrication is making a Colorado rear shock relocation kit which raises the rear shocks up and moves them out near the wheels like Tacomas and many other trucks have them.

The lower shock mounts aren't shown on that page currently but I've seen it on a truck in a YT video:
It looks promising for Colorado owners if they want more ground clearance.