Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

Hey all,

I'm in the process of shopping for 2" lift kits for my 2016 Tacoma Offroad. I've narrowed down my choices to Bilstein 5100s (with add a leafs and OME 887 coils), OME 2" lift (add a leafs and OME 887 coils), and Toytec 2" lift (with add a leafs, fully assembled coilovers). I've been leaning more towards the OME kit recently because it's extremely easy to change the front coils to a beefier setup in the future for when I put a winch and bumper. The Bilsteins allow this to an extent, but aren't valved to handle OME's 886 coils, as I'm told. Then, when looking at the Toytec, it looks like the ratings are very good and might be an easier install with the fully assembled coils. They're also a local company, and that's a plus for future modification. I also like the option to add reservoirs to the Toytec setup for a moderate price.

Does anyone have experience with these setups? I know all three are reputable brands and roughly around the same cost.

Brief background: I want the 2" lift (max) lift in both the front and back (maintain factory rake) in order to fit 285s (~33s). When we go on trips, I have a roof top tent that we use, along with a decent amount of gear. In the past, this combined weight brought my truck down to level, which reduced my departure angle quite a bit when off-road. I want to correct for that with add a leafs in hopes that I can still maintain a good rake position when handling the weight. I have plans for a topper in the future with drawers and a platform (for the dogs).

Thanks in advance for the help! Hopefully I put enough info in there to help make sense of what I'm looking for!

Sent from my moto x4 using OB Talk mobile app

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I can only speak to OME experience from my Jeep perspective but it was a high quality and great performing system that I would receommend to anyone.

Their nitro shock upgrade from their basic system is well worth the money.

They have a lot of different spring rates to choose from so take your time to honestly map out your future upgrades(think the weight of them) as well as your realistic loads while on the trail to figure out the right springs for your application.

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

I can only speak to OME experience from my Jeep perspective but it was a high quality and great performing system that I would receommend to anyone.

Their nitro shock upgrade from their basic system is well worth the money.

They have a lot of different spring rates to choose from so take your time to honestly map out your future upgrades(think the weight of them) as well as your realistic loads while on the trail to figure out the right springs for your application.
Thanks for the reply! In regards to setting up the spring rate based upon future upgrades, do you have experience running the stiffer coils with no added bumpers/weight? I'm worried that getting the stiffer coils now could result in a rough ride, at least until I upgrade the bumpers and add the extra weight.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I sure do, it’s always a compromise. You will definelty have a rougher ride but it won’t be a night and day difference. That sort of thing is like taste in food, peoples tolerance for a rough ride is very subjective.

If you will likely get the bumper within a few years I’d suggest going with the heavier spring. Worst case scenario, throw some weight in the back to smooth it out.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
My OME springs are Rear 300 lb and front heavy rating. some sag in back when loaded heavy but not very bad. I am still going to install air bags just because I want to be level all the time. No problem with the ride.

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

My OME springs are Rear 300 lb and front heavy rating. some sag in back when loaded heavy but not very bad. I am still going to install air bags just because I want to be level all the time. No problem with the ride.
Ok good to know. I have leafs in the back, but will be adding a progressive add-a-leaf pack that should keep me at or above level, even with a heavy load. I'm considering the OME heavy duty coils in the front which are good for about 660 lb spring rate. OME says this will handle both a bumper and winch, and I plan on both in the future.