Athens, GA, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4EEV
Hi folks. I'm looking into a suspension kit for my 2019 Tundra. I want to run 35'' tires with around a 3 to 4 inch lift but am most interested in performance (so lift and tire size not as important as it all working well together). I went to my local shop for recommendations and am curious about what others think. They recommended the following:
  • Superlift 4.5'' Tundra lift kit with Fox shocks #K963F
  • Airlift LoadLifter 5000 #88299 (This after I estimated around 600lbs of extra weight in the back of the truck)
  • Wireless One Airlift Controller 2nd gen #25980EZ
  • 35X12.5X18 wheels with 5'' backspace and 0 or less offset
  • Minor trimming required
Does anyone have experience with a similar kit or these brands? I had never heard of Airlift before their recommendation. Before going in, I had in mind a complete kit from Fox or Icon. What do you recommend?

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wewoka, Seminole County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

Hi folks. I'm looking into a suspension kit for my 2019 Tundra. I want to run 35'' tires with around a 3 to 4 inch lift but am most interested in performance (so lift and tire size not as important as it all working well together). I went to my local shop for recommendations and am curious about what others think. They recommended the following:
  • Superlift 4.5'' Tundra lift kit with Fox shocks #K963F
  • Airlift LoadLifter 5000 #88299 (This after I estimated around 600lbs of extra weight in the back of the truck)
  • Wireless One Airlift Controller 2nd gen #25980EZ
  • 35X12.5X18 wheels with 5'' backspace and 0 or less offset
  • Minor trimming required
Does anyone have experience with a similar kit or these brands? I had never heard of Airlift before their recommendation. Before going in, I had in mind a complete kit from Fox or Icon. What do you recommend?
I can’t speak for super lift kits, as I haven’t installed that brand in over a decade.

However, the airlift products that I’ve used/installed have seemed to work well. I put a couple sets on some titan xd diesels (one of which is lifted) about 1 1/2 years ago, and the customer is still happy with them. Also his previous tundra had them, and they worked well.

Reactions: Tater&SweetWheat

Tater&SweetWheat

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Athens, GA, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4EEV
I can’t speak for super lift kits, as I haven’t installed that brand in over a decade.

However, the airlift products that I’ve used/installed have seemed to work well. I put a couple sets on some titan xd diesels (one of which is lifted) about 1 1/2 years ago, and the customer is still happy with them. Also his previous tundra had them, and they worked well.
Thanks. It's helpful, at least, to know they're not trying to sell me a bill of goods!

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Super lift is still quality. Especially since you're upgrading the shocks.

Bds is my favorite kit usually. But I'm a Ford SD or Ram HD guy. No idea if there are cut out fender flares for Tundras.

I'd use a Sumo Springs Rebel kit instead of the airlift kit. Can't pop, tear, or get worn through with sand. And doesn't need Daystar cups, because they split in half for full droop.

Tater&SweetWheat

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Athens, GA, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4EEV
Super lift is still quality. Especially since you're upgrading the shocks.

Bds is my favorite kit usually. But I'm a Ford SD or Ram HD guy. No idea if there are cut out fender flares for Tundras.

I'd use a Sumo Springs Rebel kit instead of the airlift kit. Can't pop, tear, or get worn through with sand. And doesn't need Daystar cups, because they split in half for full droop.
Awesome! Thanks. I’ll look into the rebel kit.

RBartlett

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler III

Statesville, NC, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Bartlett
Member #

What trim package is your truck? I’m assuming not a Pro correct? Toytec Lifts makes some great setups. The Toytec Boss and Toytec Ultimate settups with progressive 3 leaf add a pack kits would fit your needs and also installing a set of Firestone Bags with Daystar Cradles to allow your rear axle to flex with no limitations. The cradles will allow the bag to center back up and take the weight as your axle comes back up to them. You can run manual air fill up bags, or the wireless controller. In my experience, I would honestly spend the money on an ARB single compressor and the Air Up Kit from arb to air up and down with. Nothing’s worse then being ready for a trip and your wireless crap doesn’t work or the cheap compressor they sell with those kits doesn’t work anymore. I’ve installed several setups like that on 14+ tundras with Camper shells and Decked Drawer systems. Based on your weight you may need to upgrade to the Icon Multi Rate spring pack or OME Dakar Kit. The nice thing about the Icon Kit is it comes with an extra leaf that depending on where in the pack it’s installed, it will change ride height and load capacity.

All of the Boss and Ultimate kits are Coilover design for the front and come ready to install. Whoever does the install may need to adjust ride height in the front for leveling or clearancing. Upgrading your upper control arms to a set of SPC adjustable control arms will make getting your alignment back in spec and also help being able to move the tire around in the wheel well to get it in the best position for clearancing. There’s several ways to open up more space in the wheel well for clearancing of 35s. The front wheel well plastic can be moved by unbolting the bottom, undoing the clip on the frame rail, pushing forward and making new holes. Of course the Cab Mount Chop helps with clearancing for turning and stuffing your tires.

I’m a Master Toyota Tech in WNC and literally never touch any vehicles at work other than lifted Toyotas. I’m the only one in our shop that handles all of our lift installs and helping customers build out their plans based on their specific needs.

Tater&SweetWheat

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Athens, GA, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4EEV
What trim package is your truck? I’m assuming not a Pro correct? Toytec Lifts makes some great setups. The Toytec Boss and Toytec Ultimate settups with progressive 3 leaf add a pack kits would fit your needs and also installing a set of Firestone Bags with Daystar Cradles to allow your rear axle to flex with no limitations. The cradles will allow the bag to center back up and take the weight as your axle comes back up to them. You can run manual air fill up bags, or the wireless controller. In my experience, I would honestly spend the money on an ARB single compressor and the Air Up Kit from arb to air up and down with. Nothing’s worse then being ready for a trip and your wireless crap doesn’t work or the cheap compressor they sell with those kits doesn’t work anymore. I’ve installed several setups like that on 14+ tundras with Camper shells and Decked Drawer systems. Based on your weight you may need to upgrade to the Icon Multi Rate spring pack or OME Dakar Kit. The nice thing about the Icon Kit is it comes with an extra leaf that depending on where in the pack it’s installed, it will change ride height and load capacity.

All of the Boss and Ultimate kits are Coilover design for the front and come ready to install. Whoever does the install may need to adjust ride height in the front for leveling or clearancing. Upgrading your upper control arms to a set of SPC adjustable control arms will make getting your alignment back in spec and also help being able to move the tire around in the wheel well to get it in the best position for clearancing. There’s several ways to open up more space in the wheel well for clearancing of 35s. The front wheel well plastic can be moved by unbolting the bottom, undoing the clip on the frame rail, pushing forward and making new holes. Of course the Cab Mount Chop helps with clearancing for turning and stuffing your tires.

I’m a Master Toyota Tech in WNC and literally never touch any vehicles at work other than lifted Toyotas. I’m the only one in our shop that handles all of our lift installs and helping customers build out their plans based on their specific needs.
No, it's a Platinum. I bought the truck for working around the house then stumbled into this whole overloading thing while looking for parts. I probably would have gone with something a little more capable like the Pro but I've enjoyed working on the truck. What do you think about going with the complete IVD kit? I'm wondering if something like that would be better than mixing and matching. Or, is it better to grab parts from different manufacturers to better fit my specific needs?

RBartlett

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler III

Statesville, NC, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Bartlett
Member #

No, it's a Platinum. I bought the truck for working around the house then stumbled into this whole overloading thing while looking for parts. I probably would have gone with something a little more capable like the Pro but I've enjoyed working on the truck. What do you think about going with the complete IVD kit? I'm wondering if something like that would be better than mixing and matching. Or, is it better to grab parts from different manufacturers to better fit my specific needs?
Icon makes nice very capable stuff. We are an authorized Toytec Dealer and are very satisfied with the product. Like I said we build mild to wild and Toytec covers most of the needs. I’m not sure if icon offers any kits with the bags included, but when you order from Toytec they will ask you if you want to add the Upper Control arms normally. The bags and cradles is going to be a individual need basis so you’d have to order those seperate. Regardless, I feel like the best settup for a tundra is some good 2-2.5” coil overs in the front with adjustable uppers, 305/65/18 tires, a full icon/Dakar leaf spring kit, and manual bags with cradles. It will give you plenty of ride quality, adjustability for towing and hauling, and all the ground clearance you’ll need for where you would want to take a Tundra.