Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

Got it up in the air today, learned a lot and set some priorities . This is going to be fun!

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

@4Runner Ended up with Rancho 5000 extendeds, OME 881/890, and new 265/75/16's and the ride is fantastic...but I haven't done much off road yet...Bald Mountain trip with O.B. will be the first outing on the setup.

Reactions: 4Runner

4Runner

Rank 0

Traveler I

Thanks for the specs, I have the same tires and same size. Wish I had a softer daily driver ride for sure. I towed 1000 pounds and a cab full of camping gear and I had zero sag and the ride was perfect that was nice.

Reactions: SLO Rob

Chris

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Plano
Member #

Hi Robert. I have a 2.5" OME heavy lift. I have ARB front bumper, Custom Rear Bumper (tire swingout, fuel can basket. 3 cans), extra battery, and sleeping platform. An soon a safari roof rack. and I love it! Take a look at my build thread to have an idea the way my 97 LC looks like. Good luck

Frisly
Can you please post the build thread?

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

Recently purchased a 2000 4Runner with 160k in great shape. I'd like to start with the suspension as it sags some. (Not too bad) if I got just coils or just shocks, not both at the same time, what's the..wisest choice? It's not bouncy, but soft. right now a full kit isn't an option, but piece by piece is fine. Ideally, a 2.5 lift that can take some weight in the back. Any insight?
I run OME on my 16 Tacoma. Couldn't be happier. I'd recommend doing both coils and shocks at the same time as they're almost like a coilover. Will save you time and multiple headaches

Sent from my moto x4 using OB Talk mobile app

jcdalman

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Lakewood, CA
Member #

I need some suspension advice as well. Wondering what kind suspension lift kit I should install on my 2 Door Jeep JL Sport S. At the moment is all bumpy on road and offroad not smooth at all. If I can make it ride like a Cadillac would be great. I keep adding weight to it and it's loaded when I go Overlanding. Budget is tight. IMG_4798.jpg

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
You drive a Toyota. ARB ( aka Old Man Emu ) suspensions are designed to withstand the very harsh Australian outback, think violent washboard two tracks. Dobinson is another option from Australia. Before our current trip, as a PM item, I replaced my ome shocks with new ones. The old ones lasted 100,000 miles and were still operating just fine. ( note, our vehicle weighs 7,000 lbs loaded with gear and we drag a trailer weighing 1,200 lbs loaded ) Adjustable shocks are fine, but be prepared to dig deep in your wallet for a quality set. I simply can not justify the cost for what we do..

Reactions: SLO Rob

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I need some suspension advice as well. Wondering what kind suspension lift kit I should install on my 2 Door Jeep JL Sport S. At the moment is all bumpy on road and offroad not smooth at all. If I can make it ride like a Cadillac would be great. I keep adding weight to it and it's loaded when I go Overlanding. Budget is tight. View attachment 122872
Sorry dude, I spent almost 10 years trying to make my Jeep something it wasn’t . Finally threw in the towel and stepped up to a much better vehicle

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I need some suspension advice as well. Wondering what kind suspension lift kit I should install on my 2 Door Jeep JL Sport S. At the moment is all bumpy on road and offroad not smooth at all. If I can make it ride like a Cadillac would be great. I keep adding weight to it and it's loaded when I go Overlanding. Budget is tight. View attachment 122872
I wouldn't say it as hard as Moak but pointing the same direction. If you want something plush and smooth you really choose the wrong vehicle.
There's no cheap solution for this problem.

Salty4Life

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Loxahatchee, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larsen
Member #

Thanks for the specs, I have the same tires and same size. Wish I had a softer daily driver ride for sure. I towed 1000 pounds and a cab full of camping gear and I had zero sag and the ride was perfect that was nice.
Throw some sandbags in the back. Heavyweight springs are gonna ride rough without weight on them.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I wouldn't say it as hard as Moak but pointing the same direction. If you want something plush and smooth you really choose the wrong vehicle.
There's no cheap solution for this problem.
So, I said it “hard” and you said it “harsh” hard harsh ride =s Jeep LOL

Reactions: MazeVX

jcdalman

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Lakewood, CA
Member #

Well if you guys don’t have anything good to say just keep it to yourself but the way I read your advice it sounds coming from arshole down under [emoji23]. It is sad you. belong on this community. I feel sorry for you but guess this is not the right thread I ask. my apologies.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Well if you guys don’t have anything good to say just keep it to yourself but the way I read your advice it sounds coming from arshole down under [emoji23]. It is sad you. belong on this community. I feel sorry for you but guess this is not the right thread I ask. my apologies.
So, humor is not permitted? Humor about Ford versus Chevy versus Chrysler versus etc etc etc has been around since the horseless carriage has been invented.. honestly though, jeeps do have a very harsh ride, I spent a lot of money on two different spring kits and three different sets of shocks attempting to accomplish what the guy is asking about.. so sorry if a bit of humor has upset anyone..

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Well it's simply a fact, there is no cheap solution. I drive a jku and just put quite a bit money into my suspension to make it ride better on rough surfaces, when changing load situations happen, the things gets worse. Sure I could tell him what he could do but he asked for a not expensive solution and there is none.
So sorry if it was harsh but it's just the way it is.
Heard Falcon shocks improves ride quality, maybe progressive bumpstops will help also but that comes with a price.

Reactions: Kent R

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Well it's simply a fact, there is no cheap solution. I drive a jku and just put quite a bit money into my suspension to make it ride better on rough surfaces, when changing load situations happen, the things gets worse. Sure I could tell him what he could do but he asked for a not expensive solution and there is none.
So sorry if it was harsh but it's just the way it is.
Heard Falcon shocks improves ride quality, maybe progressive bumpstops will help also but that comes with a price.
I wasted money on progressive bumpstops. They are great for rock crawler vehicles or pre-runner racing suspensions as they soften the blow of bottoming out..

Reactions: Kent R

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I wasted money on progressive bumpstops. They are great for rock crawler vehicles or pre-runner racing suspensions as they soften the blow of bottoming out..
I'm happy with mine, can help prevent bent axle tubes. And you just opened another problem, everyone expecting something different from the suspension. And traveling causes a lot of problems because we need to have something that works for everything.