Rank III

Enthusiast I

Syosset, New York
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Page Jr
Member #

I have a question for you all. What would you put on a JKU Sport to be used for overlanding but also snow plowing, so needs to maintain a close to stock height? Would you put a small lift? I currently have a 2" front spacer to help with reducing sag with the plow.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
I wouldn't touch it - the standard capability is one of the best, if not the best (apart from an original Hummer for example, which is also far less comfortable). You could drive it from NY to Argentina and back without touching the suspension.

markpagejr

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Syosset, New York
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Page Jr
Member #

I wouldn't touch it - the standard capability is one of the best, if not the best (apart from an original Hummer for example, which is also far less comfortable). You could drive it from NY to Argentina and back without touching the suspension.
Thank you! would you keep the stock shocks without a lift? something to make the ride more comfortable?

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Nothing wrong with better dampers, although I wouldn't change them until the original ones wear out. A lift will not improve the comfort, so I wouldn't bother unless you plan to cross a lot of deep sand or deeply rutted tracks.

Reactions: leeloo

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

From what you are saying the biggest limit will be your and you skill set. So go out, start small, increase difficulty and if you get to the vehicle limit, than you consider upgrades.
What I would do first on a vehicle would be tires and protection ( Wrangler has stock some protection so there you are ok as well )
On any overland vehicle, you do everything else and the last thing is suspension. To tune the suspension properly you need to know the total weight loaded. To know the weight you need to go on trips and decide what you want to keep and what you will not need. When you have that sorted you can do suspension.
Otherwise you do it 3 times. Nothing wrong with that if you have the money to spend , for some people is a lot of fun to change and tweak a set-up. But if your budget is not unlimited, I would do it the proper way.

Last edited: