Surviving Camping with Toddlers

• HTML tutorial

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

My wife and I have no kids, BUT.... our good friends have a 2 year old and an over anxious German shepard. So... We always camp at a close by campground with them. and yes, sometimes one of them has to bail with the dog or the kid.

But, with that said, one parent does need to go sit in the tent and read to and keep occupied the kid until she falls asleep. sometimes it has taken a good hour.

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

I haven't camped with my daughter yet (she's only a month old...), but I do have friends w/ kids. I think repetition will help, although in my experience, getting a toddler to sleep usually meant that one parent was also done for the night. Like you said, they tend to wake up, and the unfamiliar environment is enough to keep them from sleeping.

Anyway, if you figure it out, let me know!

Reactions: The other Sean

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
We have been camping with our boys since they were 3 - 6 months old. When they are small, they are harder to deal with at night. One of us has to spend a lot of time in the tent. Every kid is different, but I bed once she gets used to it she'll find a pattern and settle down.

Things you might try: have her sleep in her sleeping bag at home and/or hold mock camping parties at home. Maybe set up a small tent had let her nap in it and/or play in it.

Set the tent up farther away from the fire/ campsite if you can.

We camped more this summer than we ever did, including a 3 night Death Valley overland adventure and 3 weekends where I singlehanded it with them, which I won't lie, fucking sucked for me (sort of). They are 1.5 and 6 now. We live in Reno, NV and camping is fairly close here too.

-M

Disco_Berty

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

cheadle, Stoke on Trent
Member #

I agree with Wolfy. We have 4 kids, 11, 9, 7 and 18 months. Guess which one was unexpected :yum:. We take them camping a lot and have a routine for the 18 month old (girl). Each night at six we put her in her pyjamas (this is the first sign that bed time is close), then she watches a BBC childs programme called in the night time garden (when we are away camping we have it stored on an ipad). She watches it, then waves good night to the characters and then we put her to bed at 7pm religiously. We ask the older kids to calm down and not do anything that might get her excited from 6pm onwards as it would upset the routine.

Because we have been camping several times, she is now used to the tent (Oztent RV4 and tagalong) and therefore is comfortable in it. It has taken time, but the routine is definitely the key to getting them to go down. On the downside, our youngest is still not sleeping through and has at least two bottles of milk even now which is always daddies job.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

We have been overlanding with our 3 year old daughter since she was about 16 months old. The first few times were tough, she did exactly what yours did; wouldn't go too sleep, rolled like crazy, fought to stay awake, etc. Bottom line is that it just takes time and experimentation with different methods.
What ended up working best for us is simply keeping her up with us til 10 or so (couple hours past her bedtime), then all of us going to bed together. It sucks at first because they will still roll and fuss but eventually it gets better.
Now we put her in the RTT about 30 minutes before bedtime with a tablet and a show while we clean up camp for night. Then we all turn in together. She is usually ready for sleep and it doesn't take much to coax her to sleep.

Hang in there and stay consistent as possible. It gets better!

Reactions: Disco_Berty

picklejuice

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

I'm in the same camp as you @twin magnolias. I have two boys, 3 and 4, and camping with them is a constant shift between the elation of being a proud father and the utter frustration of wrangling two little rascals. What works for me is time: with enough time in between trips, I forget how tough it was (I did it alone by the way) and somehow do it again. I think it's similar to women having babies. Well, maybe not, lol. I'd rather watch kids camping than carry and deliver a watermelon sized being!

vicali

Rank IV

Advocate II

Haha, stories are all coming out now.. thing to remember - Don't give up! Even if you have the worst trip, the next one will be better!

We had our little girl out camping at 8 months, with our son at 3.. Stayed close to home, able to pull the pin, but they did well.
I have to say having a trailer is a huge cheat though.. There is no way we would've made it in a tent.

We keep most of the routine the same, nap after lunch, lots of outside fresh air, and play in the dirt as much as they like.. Usually they are so wiped out they usually fall into bed. Waking up at 6am is more of our problem. Now they are 3 and 5 - and are learning to roast their own mallows and hotdogs.. and catch their own fish. I'm looking forward to next season.

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

We have a 3 year old and 5 month old. We've only been out a couple of times with the 5 month old, and dedicated tent camping with her once. But out 3 year old has done quite a bit with us out there. She's starting to get a little sassy and she's a little chatterbox - but otherwise, she knows that there's no BS when we're out on the trail or if we stop. She stays close to me and my wife.

Overall, the off-roading doesn't bother either of them, but if we're with other people - especially at camp - and they have kids, it's almost useless trying to get our 3 year old to goto sleep.
She ends up tuckering herself out and - knock on wood - it hasn't been too crazy with her yet. She's harder to put to sleep at home!

daPitbull

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Oakland, CA
Member #

We've done overland trips that are a few nights up to 3 weeks. Kids are 2, 4, and 6...and dog that's 1.5yrs old. Id like to think we have this down but kids will be kids and they're always wild cards with them. If I can offer any advice, it's to make it fun for them. Don't force anything, some will be ready to rough it sooner then others, and that's fine. Some will be 'ok' with turning their routines upside down. Make the adventure revolve around their needs and you'll be good to go! Good luck.

socalmtbiker

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Diego
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Ramos
Member #

I started with tent camping in the backyard a few times to get them use to the idea. My kids were 3,4 and 8 back then. When ever they get off their routine there's chaos. I generally don't plan much but always have an idea of what can be done around the area, short hikes, tide pools, creeks...
I get them tired during the day and limit the sugar/smores around the fire. It still takes some time to wind down when sleeping in tight quarters but generally they do ok.

My kids get car sick at times so I can't get too crazy on overland adventures. Bring their favorite toy/blanket/book to help with the change.

Bender

Rank 0

Traveler I

It's always gonna be situational, right. Took my 4-year-old out on his first camping trip a couple weeks ago. We had done one practice run in the backyard prior, which was actually harder. But in my case the key was to just roll with it. I find that when in camping I'm less inclined to stay up late and tend to abide by the sun. Basically it means he gets to stay up a little later and I go to bed early. If they're cranky in the evening, maybe a nap in the afternoon would help...

Hahaha... Toddlers that willingly nap... Good one [emoji14]

In any case, a full day of activities and fresh air usually knocks kids out by sunset so make sure you've got done physical activities happening during the day

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

We've done overland trips that are a few nights up to 3 weeks. Kids are 2, 4, and 6...and dog that's 1.5yrs old. Id like to think we have this down but kids will be kids and they're always wild cards with them. If I can offer any advice, it's to make it fun for them. Don't force anything, some will be ready to rough it sooner then others, and that's fine. Some will be 'ok' with turning their routines upside down. Make the adventure revolve around their needs and you'll be good to go! Good luck.
Great Advice. Growing up, my introduction to fishing was always sit in the boat for hours, string your own worm / leech on the hook and sit there. For hours. Being 5 years old and in a tiny boat sitting still and staring at a bobber was no fun. Also, I was terrified of the worms and leeches and never was allowed to toss artificial baits and never even knew about wax worms. It really turned me off to fishing for many years.

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

Great Advice. Growing up, my introduction to fishing was always sit in the boat for hours, string your own worm / leech on the hook and sit there. For hours. Being 5 years old and in a tiny boat sitting still and staring at a bobber was no fun. Also, I was terrified of the worms and leeches and never was allowed to toss artificial baits and never even knew about wax worms. It really turned me off to fishing for many years.
I had the same experience... But on land.. And was also the official beer fetcher for my old man...

Reactions: The other Sean

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

We have been overlanding with our 3 year old daughter since she was about 16 months old. The first few times were tough, she did exactly what yours did; wouldn't go too sleep, rolled like crazy, fought to stay awake, etc. Bottom line is that it just takes time and experimentation with different methods.
What ended up working best for us is simply keeping her up with us til 10 or so (couple hours past her bedtime), then all of us going to bed together. It sucks at first because they will still roll and fuss but eventually it gets better.
Now we put her in the RTT about 30 minutes before bedtime with a tablet and a show while we clean up camp for night. Then we all turn in together. She is usually ready for sleep and it doesn't take much to coax her to sleep.

Hang in there and stay consistent as possible. It gets better!
@stringtwelve nailed it... I have a 2yr old and a 4yr old, both boys. The 2yr old has only camped once with me, out at the family farm. But, the 4yr old has camped a LOT with me. Secret is to let them stay up with you, past their bed time. My wife isn't into camping so it is all on me and I leared that after a few trips out and the excitement of something new, such as camping wore off, he started wanting to go to bed at his normal time. Persistence is key, but, you gotta make every aspect of it fun for them or it makes things waaaayyy harder than they need to be.. Is it worth it to deal with the fussing and ass-holeness of a toddler when they don't wanna go to bed at normal times while camping? IMO, no..... If they sleep fine at home then they will eventually gain habits of sleeping while camping also, they are just too excited to sleep!!!! lol

Disco_Berty

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

cheadle, Stoke on Trent
Member #

If I can offer any advice, it's to make it fun for them. Don't force anything, some will be ready to rough it sooner then others, and that's fine. Some will be 'ok' with turning their routines upside down. Make the adventure revolve around their needs and you'll be good to go! Good luck.
I agree entirely. Whilst routine is important, if you don't give some time to the kids then they will cause mayhem. We are planning a trip around scotland called the north coast 500. Whilst it could be classed as an overlanding trip, it will not involve any off road tracks but coastal roads around the edge of scotland. My wife and I are looking at what places there are to pull over as part of the trip that will either fire the imagination of the kids or be a place where they get sensory overload, i.e. kids parks, zoos etc. There are very few, just like I imagine there will be very little if going to the deserts around arizona. therefore we would need to think about what we can take or do with the kids in situ that we can still get them involved with that would fire their imagination and get them fired up.

My own mum says this to me every time we think about going away as a family, If you don't make you trip enjoyable for the kids, they will ensure it is not enjoyable for you. She had four challenging kids including me, so I guess I should listen to the advice.

Disco_Berty

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

cheadle, Stoke on Trent
Member #

Overall, the off-roading doesn't bother either of them, but if we're with other people - especially at camp - and they have kids, it's almost useless trying to get our 3 year old to goto sleep.
She ends up tuckering herself out and - knock on wood - it hasn't been too crazy with her yet. She's harder to put to sleep at home!
Really good point - its surprising how much other kids will impact upon your own, almost like their enthusiasm and energy feeds off each other. The trick is bringing it to a close and getting them to calm down ready for bed. We find a good book is great for this whilst the kids are in bed. Half an hour or so and they have gone to sleep, especially if they have worn themselves out.

Reactions: RaggedViking

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

Really good point - its surprising how much other kids will impact upon your own, almost like their enthusiasm and energy feeds off each other. The trick is bringing it to a close and getting them to calm down ready for bed. We find a good book is great for this whilst the kids are in bed. Half an hour or so and they have gone to sleep, especially if they have worn themselves out.
Once we get them back in the tent, we can usually get her to goto sleep - books, like you said ARE KEY. She digs the big Where's Waldo Books as well as the Richard Scarry books - lots of pictures.. Gets her imagination going - and then BAM - she's out; and has some dream material to see her through!