Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I used to keep a rem 870 loaded with bird shot. The bird shot doesn't go all the way through the walls and when it does it is moving to slowly to really hurt anyone on the other side. I no longer have that gun. So I keep a can of bear spray next to the bed. A quick burst of that will knock the largest of people to their knees. I realize I will have some effect on me as well but I prefer that to the potential of a miss with the Glock. I am a very good shot, but even the best struggle with accuracy while coming out of a waking state. I just can't take a chance. One miss can pass through a wall and find it's way into my daughters room, or find its way into whatever spot my wife might be hiding. Mace em first, and hold em at Glock-point until the police arrive.

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Just too throw in my .02. I went shotgun, pistol, long rifle. I went shotgun first due to hunting. The 3 i rely on are my glock 21, Remington 870 (either my 12 or 20) and my ar15 for ease of use. I finally finished ( well toys are never finished lol) my ar15, mostly for the in case , because my wife can handle it if need be. If it were a shtf situation i would probably rely on my glock 21 my 12 Guage and my 308 for longer distance stuff if i had a vehicle. But if i had to hoof it. It would be glock 21 and ar15.

NetDep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

St. George, UT, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
G
Member #

Certainly the trifecta I would agree with. Given a three gun scenario for me, it would be my Glock 22, S&W AR15 and Remington 870. More to choose from but like a trusty Toyota Tacoma or wide angle, mid range and zoom they are the tools that do most of the jobs most of the time!!

Reactions: ElDusto

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

I have been a fan of the tactical carbines such as the Beretta CX4 storm or the models H&K offer. They are light weight and very accurate out to a couple hundred yards with a good optic for using pistol rounds. In the case of the CX4 Storm, it even uses the same magazine as the M9 or 96f series or the Px series. This helps keep load outs lighter and more manageable because of the shared ammo and magazine design. They also pack a punch by being available in .40 and .45 caliber (.45 discontinued for cx4 Storm but can still be found easily). Durability, reliability and maintenance are exceptional which makes them more user friendly. They also have rail systems for accessories and are very light weight because of the polymer material. This would be my go to as well as my sidearm because it's less hassle with bringing various ammo, etc.

Teague

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fairview, TN
Member #

I'll throw this in there, get the one you'll shoot more and the one your wife will shoot. That's probably the rifle, then when your kids are older throw in a .22 bolt and start them early. Modern shotguns are great, but if you're talking about 3" slugs you won't want to shoot/train enough for it to matter. Even reduced recoil slugs only help so much with a projectile that big. But bugging out and fighting are complete different beasts, only you can make that call.

Also saying he doesn't have to worry about terrorists because he lives in Indiana; on a forum that revolves around traveling all over the country did make me laugh.

Reactions: stormtrooper

ElDusto

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Missoula County, Montana, United States
First Name
Dusty
Last Name
S.
Member #

Every American that can legally own a fire arm and that wants one should own a handgun,shotgun and a rifle of they're choice and learn how to use them effectively and efficiently. I carry a 9mm g43 at work and play around hometown...I take a g27 40 cal with buffalo bore on away trips and I usually have a 44mag lever Rossi 94 copy as my "camp" gun..but I was thinking of taking my 870 out instead my next go round..if your the kind of person that sleeps in close proximity to a pistol and shot gun at home...then why not out on your mobile home too...if you don't like firearms..don't buy em.

Reactions: NetDep

ElDusto

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Dusty
Last Name
S.
Member #

Certainly the trifecta I would agree with. Given a three gun scenario for me, it would be my Glock 22, S&W AR15 and Remington 870. More to choose from but like a trusty Toyota Tacoma or wide angle, mid range and zoom they are the tools that do most of the jobs most of the time!!
Can't agree more[emoji106]

Reactions: NetDep

stormtrooper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

British Columbia
Member #

Just my opinion but how about a Thompson Center? You can have a 223 barrel (as well as others i.e. 30-06, 270 etc) all interchanges and most barrels use same mag and bolt. As for "bug out" purposes I am a firm believer that if I have to bug out the most important firearms are my pistols. My ar's are great but for survival purposes not what I'd take. Protection in the form of my pistols and hunting can be done with my shotgun or rifle. I'd have to say my Thompson would be my go too. It straps to my pack and I can still take the extra barrels with me. So long range and shorter range is covered. As much as I love my ar's my money is on my Thompson. Just my 2 pennies tho. https://www.tcarms.com/firearms/interchangeable-platforms

Edit: I have to agree somewhat on the 3 gun topic from above in the post but I am following on that you have a pistol already and you are undecided on a long gun or shotgun.

ElDusto

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Dusty
Last Name
S.
Member #

Those savage over under break action 12 gauge and 223 combos are awesome too but i think the "prepper" movement has moved the price way up...one gun more options is nice way to keep on budget for sure

sapietrzak

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Pietrzak
Me personally It all comes down to what you want, need and are willing to get honestly. In any "bugout" situation it always boils down to what you can carry. Me I have 3 calibers (.40, .223 and .308). I have a 2003 WJ. I am married and have two great danes that I would bug out with if ever a time rises. I have to consolidate what is important to me gear wise. I would go with a .223 honestly. You cant beat them the accuracy and distance you can get out of that caliber accurately, is amazing.

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

Well...I'm a basic, "primitive skills" guy. We have 6 bug out locations...always good to have alternatives. All the locations picked are so far out, so well hidden, that we'd see you coming. In a SHTF situation...I go for simplicity. Revolvers...more powerful, less moving parts, easier maintenance, and in my opinion, again...my opinion, more accurate. I have a Ruger GP100 .357, double action and I can use both .357 and .38 ammo. I also have a Colt Python .44 and Raging Bull .44. For rifles...3 basics...A Winchester model 270 pump action .22 that holds 16 rounds of either long or short. A Maverick 88 12 gauge pump, holds 8 rounds + 1 in the barrel...and a 30-06 for hunting and...if need be a sniping rifle, the versatility of ammo makes this a great "jack of all trades" rifle. For me...simplicity is key.

Again, all this is just my personal preference...not tryin' to get all the "semi-auto" crowd riled up. We, my family, also practice with and are proficient at the bow, sling shot, and crossbow. We have just started trying out spears.

JMY24

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Huntsville, AL/Dahlonega, GA
Member #

Going out on trips on my own I like to have something concealed just in case. Bears are real things in the mountains and although normally not an issue, better safe than sorry. What are yalls thoughts on this?

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Going out on trips on my own I like to have something concealed just in case. Bears are real things in the mountains and although normally not an issue, better safe than sorry. What are yalls thoughts on this?
I carry (in the Jeep) a .357 with 6" Barrel. If I'm in Bear Country, I have a Model 1300 "Home Defender" 12 Guage with AR style stock (collapsable - see photo), loaded with slugs.

It's a good idea though. We just went up to Poker Flat, CA, and the Sheriff's office had a sign posted on the trail that said "Due to recent robberies in the area, please report suspicious behavior". Which would be great, had there been any cell service ;-)

NOTE: I have a CCW. Check the laws in your State.

sht-271_1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: WJ - Firefly

JMY24

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Member #

I carry (in the Jeep) a .357 with 6" Barrel. If I'm in Bear Country, I have a Model 1300 12 Guage with AR style stock (collapsable - see photo), loaded with slugs.

It's a good idea though. We just went up to Poker Flat, CA, and the Sheriff's office had a sign posted on the trail that said "Due to recent robberies in the area, please report suspicious behavior". Which would be great, had there been any cell service ;-)

NOTE: I have a CCW. Check the laws in your State.

View attachment 7090
I also carry a glock 32c. Chambered in .357. That's usually my go to. Was really looking at tactical short shotguns until I stumbled across a river mini14

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
When I lived in Alaska, my first firearm was a Mossberg 500. When in the bush, it was loaded with 00Buck and slugs in alternation. I found that many times in camp I would put it down somewhere and be a good distance from it. If a bear had popped into camp it would have been 50/50 if I could have got to it in time. I switched to a .44 Mag in a cross-draw bandoleer holster that I only took off at bedtime.

8>D

Reactions: Kelly

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
I also carry a glock 32c. Chambered in .357. That's usually my go to. Was really looking at tactical short shotguns until I stumbled across a river mini14
I like the versatility of the shotgun. Try shooting a squirrel, or a bear, with a .223 round. You won't be happy with either result ;-)
I'm a huge Glock fan, but for a "car gun", I prefer the .357 to the .357 Sig, for the same reason. My girlfriend can shoot 38 Specials, and they even have shot shells for snakes.

Btw, I'm assuming you meant "Ruger" Mini 14?

JMY24

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Member #

I like the versatility of the shotgun. Try shooting a squirrel, or a bear, with a .223 round. You won't be happy with either result ;-)
I'm a huge Glock fan, but for a "car gun", I prefer the .357 to the .357 Sig, for the same reason. My girlfriend can shoot 38 Specials, and they even have shot shells for snakes.

Btw, I'm assuming you meant "Ruger" Mini 14?
Yes I did. Autocorrect got me [emoji108]. But okay. Looks like most people are leaning towards shotguns which makes more sense, versatility and cheaper. Sounds good to me!