Napa
First Name
Lyn
Last Name
Collins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCU
I am interested in longer trips starting next fall and beyond !

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Where are you from? Kind of hard to give advice to such a broad banded question, even harder not knowing where you are from, or where you want to go.

Jmisslyn

Rank VI

Influencer I

Napa
First Name
Lyn
Last Name
Collins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCU
Where are you from? Kind of hard to give advice to such a broad banded question, even harder not knowing where you are from, or where you want to go.
I am in Napa, Ca. Was wondering if any of the longer trips are posted on the Rally points calendar.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I am in Napa, Ca. Was wondering if any of the longer trips are posted on the Rally points calendar.
Yes, when they become available they are. This weekend there is a group going up to the Rubicon. Later this month is another Mojave Road cleanup.

@Kent R, can you put Lyn in touch with their closets member representative?

One last resource is @RubiRigo. He might know of some other things going on in your area.

Jmisslyn

Rank VI

Influencer I

Napa
First Name
Lyn
Last Name
Collins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCU
Yes, when they become available they are. This weekend there is a group going up to the Rubicon. Later this month is another Mojave Road cleanup.

One last resource is @RubiRigo. He might know of some other things going on in your area.
Thank you, I do know about the Mojave Rd trip, I was able to go on it last year. I am connected with the rep here in N. Ca/N. Bay area.

Reactions: Michael and M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thank you, I do know about the Mojave Rd trip, I was able to go on it last year. I am connected with the rep here in N. Ca/N. Bay area.
Awesome, glad you’re hooked up.

How far are you wanting to travel? The Northwest has a large campout on Memorial Day Weekend. Next year (May 2022) we are going to be going to southern Oregon. A few guys from the Bay Area have come up the past two years.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

Thanks Mike, Lyn and I have been in contact for some time.

Reactions: M Rose

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
If you travel for more than a year some stuff gets more complicated - annual registration renewal, IDP, carnet (if you have one), insurance, etc. If more than two years then more complicated still. Some items can be handled online, others not.

Reactions: Jmisslyn

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
How about a definition of terms and some background?
How long is "long"? 2 weeks, 2 months?
What kind of trips? Dirt only, 2 track only, historic or out of the USA?
What kind of setup do you have? Water, shower, solar?
Are you looking to travel solo or with small groups?
Dispersed camping only or campgrounds only or a mix?

The more detail you give and the more we know the more we can help.

Reactions: Alanymarce

Jmisslyn

Rank VI

Influencer I

Napa
First Name
Lyn
Last Name
Collins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCU
I would like to go on trips as long as 2 months or so and shorter. Loops, out and backs, dirt etc. I don't have a lot of off road experience, and go on trips with other overland bound members to gain experience. I have no issues going solo, but will have to vet the area and understand the terrain before I set out. I like dispersed camping over campgrounds. I currently am building out my 2021 chevy colorado Z71 4x4 (gas). Under body plates, mid and front, side rock guards, K02 tires are currently installed. Icon shocks and a 2" lift will be installed later this month by Shaffers off-road. I am putting a Vagabond camper on the bed and will be building it out this winter. I have a goal zero 100 watt panel and a 500x power station. I plan on adding a solar shower on the top of my camper as well as storage, foot water pump and such in the bed for creature comforts.

Reactions: Michael

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

First thing to do before you go out for 2 months at a time is become very knowledgeable about how everything on your colorado works and learn how to fix the things likely to break or wear out.
Go out on local trails alone and get comfortable being alone if that's how your planning to travel. If you have the solar, fridge, tent etc your already ready aside from the mental part of it.

Reactions: Michael

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

Sounds like your truck will be in great shape. First thing I would add is communications and if going solo probably a ham and in reach type device if things go sideways. Good research and mapping tools as well.

Ursa Major

Rank VI

Influencer I

Woodstock, Vermont, United States
First Name
Gunnar
Last Name
Nourse
Member #

Definitely agree with @Boostpowered about knowing your vehicle. The more you ride, the more you will understand how it turns, creaks, crones, and fits in any environment. Having a grasp on how to fix issues in the field and what tools you need is very important. Even if that just means you can limp off the trail and make it to a tow, it would be more beneficial than being completely stranded.

Reactions: El-Dracho