Rank 0

Traveler I

Alberta
Member #

IMG_0056.JPG IMG_0012.JPG To start off
I'm john and my plan was to build something for both work and play
I started off with a 2006 Ford superduty
The platform was solid but the drivetrain, not so much
The 6.0 engine was terrible and unreliable.
Throwing money at it was taking a toll and even considered selling it, but It was the truck that brought home both my newborns so it had to stay. Some research and past experience I decided to have a 1994 12 valve p7100 Cummins in. Reliable, considered one of the best Diesel engine ever built, indestructible and easy to swap in.
IMG_0014.PNG
I've been stranded enough and last thing I want is to be stranded in middle of no where
The engine was pulled apart and rebuilt with new internals. The transmission was changed from the automatic to the 6 speed manual as she had a trailer on 90% of the time.

The first addition was the roof rack and the lightbars on all four directions. Slow progress as money was tight from the reconstruction so it was goofy looking for a bit.
The canopy came after. It took quite a few months to find a a nice aluminum one with the storage compartments needed. Not only did I find what I wanted, it was dirt cheap and the door not only flipped up and over, it slid back so you could stand up right in the box!!
IMG_0006.JPG Don't mind the blue nuts, no clue why on earth I thought it was "cool"
Next was to find a RTT and how to mount it
I decided to go with a smittybilt. Found both awning and tent for just under $1300 cdn with 3 yr warranty.... jackpot!
The problem was how to mount it. Roof rack was out of the question as it was was to hold my tire and other cargo.
Found a welder and had a small table like stand to mount on top the canopy. Had to be a foot and a half feet high as it needed to clear the slidding canopy door.
Since this is my work truck as well, I had everything I needed should something ever happen. I have a small gas powered jenny air compressor on board as well as a Onan Cummins 3200 generator, sure it's cheating but hey you never know :)
I'm a general contractor by the way so air tools and hand tools were on board should I ever decide to build something out there for no reason.
IMG_0001.PNG IMG_0035.jpg IMG_0198.jpg IMG_0082.JPG
IMG_0131.jpg