"Sunny" 2018 JLU Build

• HTML tutorial

Kukak

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Loveland, CO
Member #

I'd like to document my build here for others to make suggestions or see how I'm screwing things up! Hopefully we can learn together on the 2018 JLU.

Here she is pretty much stock:

Added so far:
  • Warn winch
  • Bartact Seat Covers

Waiting install:
  • Gobi rack (still in development, should be in the first batch)
  • iKamper tent
  • ARB fridge/ARB fridge wiring kit
  • ARB compressor with M.O.R.E mount
  • 3.5" Metal Cloak lift - subject to change
  • 37" Cooper STT Pro Tires
  • CB
  • Mopar tailgate reinforcement for 37" tire
  • HotHead headliner

Still in search of: (any input greatly appreciated)
  • Cargo area shelf - I've looked at Vector OffRoad and Tuffy
  • Fridge/stove combo slide out

Sunny-Stock-1.jpg

Sunny-Stock-3.jpg

Sunny-Stock-6.jpg

Sunny-Stock-10.jpg

Sunny-Stock-13.jpg

Sunny-Stock-17.jpg

Sunny-Stock-4.jpg

Sunny-Stock-15.jpg

Last edited:

GetLost

Rank 0

Traveler I

Nice rig, I love seeing more people using Jeeps for their intended purpose. Dig the color too.

I see a lot of people new to wheeling jump straight to 37's with the JL though. Not sure what your experience with wheeling or Jeeps is, but just because they fit with small lifts doesn't mean they should be used. More cons than pros in my opinion vs 35's especially for expeditionary trips over rock crawling. Easier to break axle components, kill the mpg's, cause steering/axle components to wear faster, heavier, more costly, and due to the unusual size they're difficult to bum a spare from another rig.

You may already know all this, but it may be useful info for someone who doesn't.

Ill be watching your build thread, congrats on the new Jeep and have fun with it!

Reactions: SubeeBen

Kukak

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Loveland, CO
Member #

Nice rig, I love seeing more people using Jeeps for their intended purpose. Dig the color too.

I see a lot of people new to wheeling jump straight to 37's with the JL though. Not sure what your experience with wheeling or Jeeps is, but just because they fit with small lifts doesn't mean they should be used. More cons than pros in my opinion vs 35's especially for expeditionary trips over rock crawling. Easier to break axle components, kill the mpg's, cause steering/axle components to wear faster, heavier, more costly, and due to the unusual size they're difficult to bum a spare from another rig.

You may already know all this, but it may be useful info for someone who doesn't.

Ill be watching your build thread, congrats on the new Jeep and have fun with it!
Thank you very much for your input, I really do appreciate it. You have brought up some points I have not thought of. It has been a tough call for me and I have been doing a lot of research on it.... I've talked to two people with 37's on their JL who have done several long road trips and don't have any complaints but they do mostly rock crawling too. I probably should start out with 35's and go from there. Still have time to decide, the lift does not go on until mid June... To be honest I'm trying to find the right balance between Overlander and Rock Crawler. We will camp and explore a lot with this rig but I also don't want to be too limited to where we can go. We will mostly be in Colorado, and Utah. I guess just thru experience I will find out what tire size is really needed for what we actually do.

I have a feeling I have a lot to learn... some the hard way I'm sure.

Cheers!

P.S. I know this is really a trivial point, but the Cooper STT Pro 37's only really measure out to be 35 1/8" in size. It turns out tires are measured like lumber, LOL. They call it one thing and it measures out to be another.

Last edited:

GetLost

Rank 0

Traveler I

With 35s and lockers, you’ll be able to run just about any trail you could want to do in the US. Those you can’t will probably be trails that buggies or purpose built rigs on 40s or larger will be running.

If you run trails that actually require something larger than 35s, those trails will likely also require aftermarket axles and a bunch of other stuff. Trying to run hard core trails with big tires and stock axles is asking for trouble. It’s not “if” something breaks, it’s “when”. Maybe those axles will last years with extreme care, maybe you’ll break some components the first time you make a minor mistake. Who knows, a lot will depend on who sits in the drivers seat.

If the tires you want are actually only 35s, then get some 35s that are actually 35”. Save some money. My 35” trail grapplers, while heavy, are actually 35”.

S

SubeeBen

Beautiful looking rig. Welcome to your new addiction. Keep the build Picts coming. Like others said & just my2 cents. Personally I have a 2 1/2” teraflex lift with fox 2.0 shocks jks front sway bar disconnects, still running 255/75/17 until stock tires wear out then 285’s you do not need to go crazy on lift & tires etc. your Jeep will go more places than you are comfortable going as is (stock). Congrats on the new rig glad to see another Jeep brother on here.

Kukak

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Loveland, CO
Member #

Beautiful looking rig. Welcome to your new addiction. Keep the build Picts coming. Like others said & just my2 cents. Personally I have a 2 1/2” teraflex lift with fox 2.0 shocks jks front sway bar disconnects, still running 255/75/17 until stock tires wear out then 285’s you do not need to go crazy on lift & tires etc. your Jeep will go more places than you are comfortable going as is (stock). Congrats on the new rig glad to see another Jeep brother on here.
Jku Ben, great info and I really appreciate it! I have lots to learn, can't wait to get some time off and get exploring...

Cheers!

Kukak

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Loveland, CO
Member #

With 35s and lockers, you’ll be able to run just about any trail you could want to do in the US. Those you can’t will probably be trails that buggies or purpose built rigs on 40s or larger will be running.

If you run trails that actually require something larger than 35s, those trails will likely also require aftermarket axles and a bunch of other stuff. Trying to run hard core trails with big tires and stock axles is asking for trouble. It’s not “if” something breaks, it’s “when”. Maybe those axles will last years with extreme care, maybe you’ll break some components the first time you make a minor mistake. Who knows, a lot will depend on who sits in the drivers seat.

If the tires you want are actually only 35s, then get some 35s that are actually 35”. Save some money. My 35” trail grapplers, while heavy, are actually 35”.
Great info, thank you sir!