Traveler I

Portland, Oregon
First Name
Evan
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Hello All!

Beginning the build on my 2017 Ram 1500. 5.7L Crew Cab and I am doing my homework for ideas on suspension and lift.

I plan on about a 6" lift kit, 18" wheels on 35's. 3.55 Gear ratio hoping it won't feel too under powered especially while loaded up with gear.

I am completely open to hear any/all recommendations on what would be best for my rig as far as ride quality and durability. I've seen options for ad-on reservoirs (to what benefit is this?) .

Thanks in advance!

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
Hi, I have an opinion for you since you asked.
Stay with a 16 inch rim = more sidewall = more comfort on and off road. Also if replacing a damaged tire in a small town, the likelihood
of them having an 18 is less.
As far as lift, as much as you need to get a good fit for your tires through articulation, anymore is just raising center of gravity and reducing your max off camber angle.
As far as the shock reservoirs you asked about, They provide a larger volume of oil to keep the shock cooler while working hard usually at high speed. That's why you see off road race vehicles with them. Heat reduces oil viscosity = decreased dampening = shock fade or failure.
Good luck with your build, Hope to see you out on the trail!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Louie559

Ejbltlr

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

Portland, Oregon
First Name
Evan
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Hi, I have an opinion for you since you asked.
Stay with a 16 inch rim = more sidewall = more comfort on and off road. Also if replacing a damaged tire in a small town, the likelihood
of them having an 18 is less.
As far as lift, as much as you need to get a good fit for your tires through articulation, anymore is just raising center of gravity and reducing your max off camber angle.
As far as the shock reservoirs you asked about, They provide a larger volume of oil to keep the shock cooler while working hard usually at high speed. That's why you see off road race vehicles with them. Heat reduces oil viscosity = decreased dampening = shock fade or failure.
Good luck with your build, Hope to see you out on the trail!!!!
Really appreciate the input! I was told I may have to go with 18" rims if I go to a 6" lift due to the length of breaklines?

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app

Delete Me

Rank I

Contributor III

Texas
you could always keep stock rims and just buy extension brake line/hoses , just an opinion
I don't think rim size impacts the length of rubber brake line one bit. Makes no sense because the distance between brake caliper and hard brake line isn't changing. However, making any change to the suspension, resulting in a change in normal travel, would cause me to check to see if there is an issue with the OEM brake line attachments and length.

Reactions: gtomike

Jbig117

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tigard Oregon
Member #

I am still using 15" wheels with my 31x10.5 tires. when i was looking at 33" tires i noticed that my selection was better if i bought larger wheels. Maybe that's the issue

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
Really appreciate the input! I was told I may have to go with 18" rims if I go to a 6" lift due to the length of breaklines?

If a shop told you that you need larger rims due to break line length I would find another shop immediately because they are not being honest at all. I believe they were trying to up sell. One has nothing to do with the other. If you are set on getting new rims find out what they weigh, If they are heavier than your stock rims you hurting your brake efficiency and they are just heavier. Lower weight decreases rolling resistance. As an example Method race wheels are light strong and designed for off road use. Good luck!!

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

If a shop told you that you need larger rims due to break line length I would find another shop immediately because they are not being honest at all. I believe they were trying to up sell. One has nothing to do with the other. If you are set on getting new rims find out what they weigh, If they are heavier than your stock rims you hurting your brake efficiency and they are just heavier. Lower weight decreases rolling resistance. As an example Method race wheels are light strong and designed for off road use. Good luck!!
On the newer dodge 1500 trucks i think part of the 6 inch lift you need 18s to clear the aftermarket spindles you have to use.

Ejbltlr

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

Portland, Oregon
First Name
Evan
Last Name
Butler
Member #

I was planning on going with methods. I forgot which suspension manufacturers website I saw the 18" requirement on but that's where I read it at.

Ejbltlr

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

Portland, Oregon
First Name
Evan
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Greatly appreciate the help from everyone! Is going with reservoirs suggested? I don't plan on doing any Baja style racing in the near future but may eventually go check out moab at some point in the next year or so. Who are some of your favorite manufacturers for lifts/suspension?

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
Remote reservoirs add a significant cost and unless your doing hi speed off road stuff are not needed. I recommend FOX, King and Icon.
The customer support is great and they usually are rebuild-able if needed. I would search a dedicated Dodge forum for your truck to see what others are running and what works and what doesn't.

Reactions: Ejbltlr