Suggestions on a cucv

• HTML tutorial

Turnbull_Ox

Rank 0

Contributor I

So I currently own a 1999 (obs) gmc yukon that I thoroughly love and have many a plan for, but she's old and tired and the time for a new heart is looming. I've pulled inspiration from the cucv and lssv trucks built for military service and plan on going in a similar direction, to include a complete drive train swap not just the motor. My biggest concerns are mileage and longevity. Willing to trade the former for the latter, to some extent.

My question(s) is:
Is it necessary that I do a solid axle swap up front? Or is anyone a bigger fan of ifs and why?

I'm torn between a 5.3 ls motor or potentially a diesel, what should I go with?

And what is the best transfer case to go with??

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Cost and complexity, I would go with a 5.3. it has been done thousands of times in that body style truck. It is going to be a near drop in and plug in play. I've found complete engines with harness and computer for under $500. You could buy a wrecked truck with an LS for fairly cheap and pull out what you need.

A diesel, well, finding the proper one and then fitting it in, not as easy.

Reactions: Vyscera

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I concur with Shizzy, 5.3Ls are plentiful, lots of options/accessories, and you wont confound anyone trying to work on it. Plus they are solid motors that run quite a long time if taken care of. If you really want more power, a 6.0 can be had for a little more and you can mate it to an HD transmission. Unless you plan on pulling trailers often diesel might be more headache than its worth.

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
Agreed. While a diesel is possible, you're not really looking at getting much in the way of mileage. More torque for sure, if that's what you're looking for. Otherwise, go with simplicity and a 5.3.

Turnbull_Ox

Rank 0

Contributor I

It's actually pretty popular to put a cummins in chevy trucks. And there are kits available. However I think you guys are probably right in terms of ease when it comes to not only installation but also on the flu repairs.

Any suggestions on the best t-case to pair with a 5.3?