Launch Member

Traveler III

Somerset. United Kingdom
First Name
Bjorn
Last Name
Whistance
Member #

Can anyone tell me why the US version of the 2010-2012 Subaru Outback has black plastic side body moulding but the UK version of the same year does not. I cannot find anything online about the two models being any different but they clearly are. I am wondering if you can get this body moulding and if it would fit a uk model as it looks much more rugged with it. I am hoping a Subaru expert (I know there are a few on here) might know the answer.IMG_0441.JPG
US version
IMG_0442.JPG
UK version

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Sorry to say it but the US version Outbacks have holes in the doors for the plastic 'pins' the trim panels mount to. This isn't from a 4th gen but it gives you an idea.

Side Panels.gif

As far as a reason why they're different... markets. I agree with you that the trim appears more rugged but apparently that isn't a popular flavor across the pond. There are slight variations all around the world that people in other markets covet. For example we like your roof rails, available diesel, and thats a good looking hood haha.

Last edited:

Bjorn

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Somerset. United Kingdom
First Name
Bjorn
Last Name
Whistance
Member #

Sorry to say it but the US version Outbacks have holes in the doors for the plastic 'pins' the trim panels mount to. This isn't from a 4th gen but it gives you an idea.

View attachment 73357

As far as a reason why they're different... markets. I agree with you that the trim appears more rugged but apparently that isn't a popular flavor across the pond. There are slight variations all around the world that people in other markets covet. For example we like your roof rails, available diesel, and thats a good looking hood haha.
Thanks for the info. I was wondering if they had holes in the doors and you have confirmed that for me. I would love the latest model of the outback but sadly my bank balance won’t stretch to that. The new ones in the UK have gone with the more rugged US style look.

PB&Me

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Portland, Oregon
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Merges
Member #

Don’t know if this will help or not, but I achieved a similar look on my Toyota truck by applying bed liner material to the same area (had a shop do it when they put the bed liner in). I was going more for gravel/chip protection in the rockers than a particular look though.

Here’s a pic but it may be hard to see due to the shadow:
IMG_0971.JPG

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

D7F900B4-D8F9-43A7-934C-4A928AE830FF.jpeg Ours is a 2015 and there was also a trim kit option for the wheel wells, an adhesive ding strip on the rear quarter corners and a rubber guard on the top of the bumper at the hatchback so you dont scrape it getting stuff in and out. Might want to check with a dealer.

Last edited:

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Thanks for the info. I was wondering if they had holes in the doors and you have confirmed that for me. I would love the latest model of the outback but sadly my bank balance won’t stretch to that. The new ones in the UK have gone with the more rugged US style look.
Glad to help.

Don’t know if this will help or not, but I achieved a similar look on my Toyota truck by applying bed liner material to the same area (had a shop do it when they put the bed liner in). I was going more for gravel/chip protection in the rockers than a particular look though.

Here’s a pic but it may be hard to see due to the shadow:
This is a great alternative and very functional. My family has been using color matched line x in the same fashion for years.

Ours is a 2015 and there was also a trim kit option for the wheel wells, an adhesive ding stripe on the rear quarters and a rubber guard on the top of the bumper at the hatchback so you dont scrape it getting stuff in and out. Might want to check with a dealer.
The wheel arch moldings make a huge difference if you ask me. If I could go back in time I would have gone with the version that I believe is available to the OP. I would of ordered them from Japan along with my grill.

Reactions: Flipper

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Glad to help.

This is a great alternative and very functional. My family has been using color matched line x in the same fashion for years.

The wheel arch moldings make a huge difference if you ask me. If I could go back in time I would have gone with the version that I believe is available to the OP. I would of ordered them from Japan along with my grill.
Nice rig Wawa! I lived in New Cumberland for many years

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
Can anyone tell me why the US version of the 2010-2012 Subaru Outback has black plastic side body moulding but the UK version of the same year does not. I cannot find anything online about the two models being any different but they clearly are. I am wondering if you can get this body moulding and if it would fit a uk model as it looks much more rugged with it. I am hoping a Subaru expert (I know there are a few on here) might know the answer.View attachment 73348
US version
View attachment 73349
UK version

That's Subaru's trick for convincing American buyers to purchase one. They caught on that tacking some plastic cladding on it fools the majority of American buyers into thinking that they're buying an SUV and not a station wagon (or estate car, as I believe they call them on your side of the pond).

Bjorn

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Somerset. United Kingdom
First Name
Bjorn
Last Name
Whistance
Member #

That's Subaru's trick for convincing American buyers to purchase one. They caught on that tacking some plastic cladding on it fools the majority of American buyers into thinking that they're buying an SUV and not a station wagon (or estate car, as I believe they call them on your side of the pond).
Well they have obviously caught on to the idea that it might work in the UK too as the latest model is covered in plastic mouldings. If they had done that years ago Subaru may be a bit more popular in the UK. Although years ago it was very unpopular in the UK to own an SUV and we were being guided into buying small European cars. That era seems to have passed and large SUVs and pick-up trucks have become really popular. I even see Ford F-150 on UK roads fairly regularly now and they sell the Ford Ranger Raptor which seems popular.

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
Well they have obviously caught on to the idea that it might work in the UK too as the latest model is covered in plastic mouldings. If they had done that years ago Subaru may be a bit more popular in the UK. Although years ago it was very unpopular in the UK to own an SUV and we were being guided into buying small European cars. That era seems to have passed and large SUVs and pick-up trucks have become really popular. I even see Ford F-150 on UK roads fairly regularly now and they sell the Ford Ranger Raptor which seems popular.
Oh that's interesting, I still thought people there mostly drove around in little tiny cars. Didn't realize the F150 was even sold there.

Oh, and off topic, but I see you're from Somerset. I live not too far from Somerset, Massachusetts, which is right next to Swansea, which I think you have over there as well. I found it amusing that the colonists left England for the "new world", and then gave nearly every town the name of an English town, and named the whole region "New England".

Bjorn

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Somerset. United Kingdom
First Name
Bjorn
Last Name
Whistance
Member #

Oh that's interesting, I still thought people there mostly drove around in little tiny cars. Didn't realize the F150 was even sold there.

Oh, and off topic, but I see you're from Somerset. I live not too far from Somerset, Massachusetts, which is right next to Swansea, which I think you have over there as well. I found it amusing that the colonists left England for the "new world", and then gave nearly every town the name of an English town, and named the whole region "New England".
Officially Ford don’t sell the F150 in the UK but some Ford dealers have started importing them as there seems to be an interest. Definitely a lot of recreational pick-up trucks on the road now in the UK. The Toyota Hilux and the Ford Ranger are really popular and the VW Amarok is probably the largest readily available truck at the moment. Also crossover vehicles are really common. I suspect when we leave the European Union our mix of vehicles will change even more. I am guessing more Japanese cars such as Toyota, Subaru etc and quite possibly some American vehicles as well.