Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
Hey everyone, as i posted in the new member thread intro i'm in need of a new car and discovered overlanding which seems awesome! Being a car guy and an outdoors guy, who knew this thing had a name to combine them both...
I need a rig that can do daily driver duty, get decent MPG and have some capability to take it offroad to pull this off. I've seen some pretty awesome Outback builds so this definitely seems like the perfect vehicle. I'm not looking to go wheeling and rock crawling. Mostly looking to be able to hit up the Outer banks here in NC, and head to the mountains for some great remote camping etc. I don't have a huge budget to get this thing rolling but here is my thoughts.

Looks like it will be a 2010-2012 outback 2.5 of some version.

Fist thing i want to do is install the full under body armor.
Also thinking of having the under body coated with Line-X, rhino lined, etc.
2" Lift from LP Adventure
Bigger meat tires, like a BFG A/T K/O or Continental Terrain contact etc.

From there its just accessories like the roof basket, lighting etc.

Would like to here anyone's thoughts on my ideas,plan direction, you name it. Never done anything like this so i want to make sure i'm approaching this realistically and correctly. Thanks!

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Well I can tell you an Outback will easily do everything you want it to do and adding the items you're considering will only increase its abilities. That gen is rather limited as far as bigger tire sizes go but a traction tire will work wonders with Subaru AWD.. at the expense of some mpg.

I like to research vehicles before I buy them to get to know what sort of maintenance or other costs I would end up being responsible for. I imagine you're aware of some of the potential oil consumption issues with the 2.5 you're considering but if not it's worth looking up. As well as the service interval for the timing belt along with associated costs. If you can swing it a 2014 will have an almost entirely different/better 2.5. I absolutely love my Outback and I'm sure that you will as well.

Reactions: MBroenkow

FOZTREK

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

McGraths hill, Australia 2756
Member #

The outback is a great all rounder for what you want! I've got 2 foresters and an Impreza, the Impreza will soon be replaced by a 2015/2016 outback!

In regards to the lift kit I would speak to Patrick from Anderson design and fabrication, that's the lift I'm running as is @FozRoamer and a few other members

Great guy to deal with and will answer any questions you can through at him!!

Looking forward to see what the future holds for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
Thanks guys! Spent yesterday oogling over wawa's build thread, it's awesome!

Been debating on the forester over the outback. Founda 2014 turbo forester in my price range but has 92k miles for like 15k.

For the outbacks with the oil consumption it looks like the 2010-2011 model year should be OK. I'd love a 2014 but my budget is keeping me out of them unfortunately.

I'll be taking a look at ADF as well thanks for that tip!

I keep seeing everyone post about Xterra and 4runner models but I feel like I'd be giving up quite a bit in mpg and comfort plus the Subaru AWD system seems like a huge improvement as well.

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I keep seeing everyone post about Xterra and 4runner models but I feel like I'd be giving up quite a bit in mpg and comfort plus the Subaru AWD system seems like a huge improvement as well.
It depends. This spring I sold my 2008 Outback 2.5XT and bought a 2016 4Runner. The OBXT got 20-22 MPG, and the 4Runner gets 15-17 MPG. But the OBXT required premium top tier gas, and the 4Runner runs on regular. At $0,60 to $0.80 per gallon price bump for premium, I'm actually saving money on gas. Any turbo Subaru is going to need premium gas.

I definitely miss not having to think about shifting to 4WD as the conditions change.

For an Outback in the vein of @FozRoamer's Forester, take a look at Grant's Wagon of Doom https://overlandbound.com/forums/threads/2015-outback.988/

tyleromyah

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hopefully you're looking at lower mileage outbacks. I've owned a 97 outback sport and now a 07 forester xt. Love the capabilities of these vehicles. Just keep a look out for outback with fresh head gaskets and water pump at the least. Also inspect the CV axles.

I'm never going to complain about owning a turbo forester, however with 181k miles I'm starting to worry. May need to rip it out for a rebuild ;)

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
I am in the market for a new Outback for the same reasons you are and with the same mods. I am going with the Anderson 2" lift, Yokohama Geolander A/T G015 tires, roof rack, etc. Will get it ready for an Alaskan Adventure in 2018.

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
Awesome! What i'm looking at isn't "low mileage" persay in the general term. The one on the top of my list right now is a 2010 LTD. with about 78k miles on it. Most of the 2013+ that have the newer FB25 motors are all overpriced for the mileage they have in my area.

Can you enlightnen me on the ADF lift and the king springs? Is the king springs mod just the springs? I was thinking of just going with either something like a ADF, LPadventure lift kit and putting better shocks on. Would i need to do the springs as well?

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
It seems like an interesting platform. I haven't seen too many on the trail, but I'm interested to see what you all come up with.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Thank you @Maverick9110E! It's been a great wagon.

As far as lifting goes you don't need to buy springs (King or RalliTEK) unless you're typically carrying additional weight in the car and you are seeking a higher spring rate. Sumo, LP, ADF, etc.. all lift the same way. They use spacers on top of the struts. Most people are perfectly happy with a spacer lift because you still have the OE smooth ride.

krzyboy2o

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Been debating on the forester over the outback. Founda 2014 turbo forester in my price range but has 92k miles for like 15k.
Go with the Forester! :) Haha jk. However if you do; make sure all the recalls and the 60k service maintenance are done prior to purchasing. The major recall I had was a whole ECU and wiring change. I think I was the first one to experience since it took about 2 months of troubleshooting and repairing.

I'm already at 75k and still going strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
Well bought the car today. 2010 Outback limited. Picking it up Saturday. Had all the maintenance done, one owner great shape with about 75k miles for about 14k. That leaves me about $1500 in my play money left over from the insurance for some upgrades. First on the list will be the full underbody armor set from primative. After that I'm thinking lift kit. It has brand new Continental true contacts on it right now so I'm thinking of letting those roll for now before I upgrade to an actual A/T tire.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Congrats on your Outback! Looking forward to your build thread and seeing pics of you getting out there with it.

Ej Martin

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gray, ME
Member #

Congrats - I'm in the midst of my own outback build as well. This weekend the car should get the full skid plate setup from primitive, 2" in front, 2 3/8 lift in back from Anderson, some Method Rally wheels, new AT rubber and my CB install. After that (and a rest of the wallet) I'll be looking at the new front winch setup that Offroad Subaru just developed.

Reactions: Maverick9110E

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
Congrats - I'm in the midst of my own outback build as well. This weekend the car should get the full skid plate setup from primitive, 2" in front, 2 3/8 lift in back from Anderson, some Method Rally wheels, new AT rubber and my CB install. After that (and a rest of the wallet) I'll be looking at the new front winch setup that Offroad Subaru just developed.

That sounds awesome man! Do you have a build thread going? Would love to see the pic as it progress' have a lot of the same plans in mind. Hadn't heard about the winch setup, will have to check that out!