Subaru Outback '01 adventurer

• HTML tutorial

scalman

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Lithuania
in about 2-3 yrs now i went from that to this as its to this day.

so what come into that what still looks like family wagon. well :
custom 2'' strut spacers lift . with that and tiresi have now just over 10' ground clearance. some 26-28cm front to rear.
BFG TA Ko2 215/65R16
front and rear sway bars removed for better suspension travel. im getting about 5-8 cm more travel front to rear. still drives fine in city or high speed tested at 120km/h .
custom UEL headers for that subaru rumble sound
custom skid plates
cut bumpers front and rear
custom roof rack
spread 48w LED's inside front bumper
custom VDC off button
second battery in trunk
car is LPG conversion so drives on Petrol / LPG . as LPG is basically half petrol price thats the reason.
custom Hi Lift Jack lift points in front and rear with custom adapter for hi lift jack
custom rear shackle recovery adapters made on hi lift points
so yeah hi lift jack is all times in car trunk. when needed can be put on roof. but for safety reasons it lives in trunk.
all stuff made by myself some ideas taken from net rest is just in my head how to do what i need to do and such.
nothing was done for looks. all things where done one by one as needed as i drove it into forests , drive around stuff try where are weak points and modifying car as i see it better for my needs. so everything is practical
car build for traveling to places not for offroading only . so its made for comfort more , for long driving its allready almost perfect as its seating position is as subaru sedan city car not SUV .
but it can do ok offroading. now that it has proper for it class angles . VDC helps there a lot too. no more problem with one wheel in air and car is going nowhere. it goes . no need using momentum as on older subarus where needed. i can drive slowly and have traction , saving car and all components.

as for most important part that comes last is recovery. as mostly i drive solo i need to have some proper recovery solutions to recover myself from bad situations. and people dont use hi lift jacks on subaru as they see them too big and not needed. well im using it for everything . from just to change wheel to proper car fixing.
hi lift jack points for rear. pretty simple . nothing welded just bolt on

front hi lift jack points

and then shackle adapter for that . made from tube , its made stronger as well with double thickness side walls there

front have similar tube adapters on car too. so all thing is pretty safe. tested

without that lift with hi lift jack no way i would go from there myself. and with that it was so easy and fast.

no matter lift bumpers are goes in the way still so they needed to go , still must have that stock look for police and such. because regulations and all

so to places i go with car i like to sleep in car more then tent. i was carying most time tent as well but ended just sleeping in car for warmer safer place and more comfort. tested air matress and foam things, and that foam thing i was using 3 layers and now im using 4 layers of that and its so comfy and soft that it feels better then in bed at home.

still im carying second battery , small fridge, all recovery tools , food , cooking stuff and other stuff in bags , soft bags not some heavy boxes. so when i need to sleep inside car all that stuff just goes under seats and on front seats. all fits. tested on trip around europe about 5,5k km in 2 weeks . all nights where slept in car. some nights where cold some very hot. still no problem.

how to comfy eat and entertain yourself in car, again because my car is music listening place as well as movies theatre , video games. everything is there.

all that music needs some sub box there. but same time i can spare any space for it so ...i just made it to side

that 48w LED in front bumper gives good spread to sides. and that what you need in bush at night. will add some more lights on roof rack still. but thats for now does the job

and why VDC on subarus is great

Last edited:

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

in about 2-3 yrs now i went from that to this as its to this day.

so what come into that what still looks like family wagon. well :
custom 2'' strut spacers lift . with that and tiresi have now just over 10' ground clearance. some 26-28cm front to rear.
BFG TA Ko2 215/65R16
front and rear sway bars removed for better suspension travel. im getting about 5-8 cm more travel front to rear. still drives fine in city or high speed tested at 120km/h .
custom UEL headers for that subaru rumble sound
custom skid plates
cut bumpers front and rear
custom roof rack
spread 48w LED's inside front bumper
custom VDC off button
second battery in trunk
car is LPG conversion so drives on Petrol / LPG . as LPG is basically half petrol price thats the reason.
custom Hi Lift Jack lift points in front and rear with custom adapter for hi lift jack
custom rear shackle recovery adapters made on hi lift points
so yeah hi lift jack is all times in car trunk. when needed can be put on roof. but for safety reasons it lives in trunk.
all stuff made by myself some ideas taken from net rest is just in my head how to do what i need to do and such.
nothing was done for looks. all things where done one by one as needed as i drove it into forests , drive around stuff try where are weak points and modifying car as i see it better for my needs. so everything is practical
car build for traveling to places not for offroading only . so its made for comfort more , for long driving its allready almost perfect as its seating position is as subaru sedan city car not SUV .
but it can do ok offroading. now that it has proper for it class angles . VDC helps there a lot too. no more problem with one wheel in air and car is going nowhere. it goes . no need using momentum as on older subarus where needed. i can drive slowly and have traction , saving car and all components.

as for most important part that comes last is recovery. as mostly i drive solo i need to have some proper recovery solutions to recover myself from bad situations. and people dont use hi lift jacks on subaru as they see them too big and not needed. well im using it for everything . from just to change wheel to proper car fixing.
hi lift jack points for rear. pretty simple . nothing welded just bolt on

and then shackle adapter for that . made from tube , its made stronger as well with double thickness side walls there

front have similar tube adapters on car too. so all thing is pretty safe. tested

without that lift with hi lift jack no way i would go from there myself. and with that it was so easy and fast.

no matter lift bumpers are goes in the way still so they needed to go , still must have that stock look for police and such. because regulations and all

so to places i go with car i like to sleep in car more then tent. i was carying most time tent as well but ended just sleeping in car for warmer safer place and more comfort. tested air matress and foam things, and that foam thing i was using 3 layers and now im using 4 layers of that and its so comfy and soft that it feels better then in bed at home.

still im carying second battery , small fridge, all recovery tools , food , cooking stuff and other stuff in bags , soft bags not some heavy boxes. so when i need to sleep inside car all that stuff just goes under seats and on front seats. all fits. tested on trip around europe about 5,5k km in 2 weeks . all nights where slept in car. some nights where cold some very hot. still no problem.

how to comfy eat and entertain yourself in car, again because my car is music listening place as well as movies theatre , video games. everything is there.

all that music needs some sub box there. but same time i can spare any space for it so ...i just made it to side

that 48w LED in front bumper gives good spread to sides. and that what you need in bush at night. will add some more lights on roof rack still. but thats for now does the job
This is a great build...thank you for sharing. The highlift points are awesome and genius. Great use of your space.

scalman

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Lithuania
This is a great build...thank you for sharing. The highlift points are awesome and genius. Great use of your space.
thanks you. its not match to those big boys 4wd's but subarus in their weight and capability is good cars . depends where you live . most people just build cars they dont need in real life. as you dont need australia overland build in europe.

made second custom shackle adapter for rear. with more detailed steps how i did it .

just couple layers of fresh paint and it will be good to go. dont need to look good , need to be strong and safe.

Reactions: Chadlyb

scalman

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Lithuania
25mm wheel spacers put my wheels in place now but even now they dont stick out. looks good though. and changing wheel with hi lift even on snow is not problem. wouldnt do that job with normal jack.

again proven that hi lift just makes all more simple and possible to recover yourself even if you alone out there

enjoying snow at last. subaru just loves snow and to drive on snow its like best thing to me

bought new proper air compressor at last, but wasnt happy with connector and lack of any deflating valve there, so redone it little and made separate tire deflator from audi mini compressor gauge which have deflating valve there. so took that cut it and put quick connection there.
Now for just deflating tire i just take that short part and deflating tires , and then for inflating them i connecting that to main compressor

and i have 2 gauges when all that is connected.

Last edited:

scalman

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Lithuania
thank you. its cheap and very reliable car to have and use.

couple more test on subaru's early VDC system they where puting in outbacks from 2001. not many cars in that year had some kind of traction control out there.
so VDC off its like open diffs. and what happens when you have 1 or 2 wheels loose traction with open diiffs or older subaru AWD system. its just digs down

so what VDC does here its tries to stop wheel that spin from spinning too much and looks where is traction and how to make car move .

Reactions: Joey83 and Kevtd

scalman

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Lithuania
more testing on snow VDC off and on looking whats does what and whats goes better where , learning

you cant go far with open diffs or simple subaru AWD thats why they all using momentum but with VDC you can do it slow too

Reactions: Wolf427

flyboytr

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mobile, Alabama, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE4KHQ
Nice Subie build. We had an 11 & 16 Outback, both modified. Very respectable and frequently makes folks scratch their heads as to how a station wagon arrived at this point on the trail! :) I loved our Subaru's but had to give them up so I could tow a larger camper. While we do enjoy the GX470...I really miss the ride, comfort, MPG and style of the Outback. Good luck with your ride.....very nice!

scalman

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Lithuania
thank you , yes very good . very reliable. very cheap to maintain and simple to fix yourself older models at least. can drive with low oil for miles and nothing will happen . its like hard working horse. forgets you many mistakes , doesnt need a lot. its just goes. and mine is more complicated as it got VDC still i forgot when i did something to it just standard maintenance. very cheap used parts to as all VC axles and other links we can get used one but OEM . they hold on lifted car superb when all those aftermarket parts just fail.
changed all brake pads on snow. easy with hi lift jack
best hi lift use for me on cold weather i wouldnt do it with normal jacks, even on snow even that is stightly on angle car t one side so its little tries to slide to one side but holds ok. jack is not sliding, car itself may slide on that snow . still no prob i did that for all 4 wheels.

Reactions: Wolf427 and Jimmy P

scalman

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Lithuania
rear both sides had rusted off subframe mounts so i said lets see if its fixeable or i will need to scrap this car allready , finds out it still had some ok metal to weld on . so car will still drive for some time. didint bought any metal for this just used what i had left from other projects there. was working outside on snow in cold too, but i was not cold. was cool to do that. i was very excited i could do that. fixed other side same way too.

Reactions: Jimmy P

scalman

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Lithuania
and back to snow testing diagonal and VDC traction control

combination VDC off when i need that momentum to move forward and then VDC On when i need find traction slowly not to dig myself down works very well. still learning there.

Reactions: Jimmy P

NateDCo

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Deveaux
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF6MNN
That's pretty sweet! My wife had a Subaru that I was taking places before I got the truck. Very nice.

scalman

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Lithuania
yh it sure can go places with that 28cm under rear diff that i have now. front skid plate 26cm. and removing sway bars gives some 5-7cm more wheel travel there. more in front, and sometimes that could be all you need those extra cm to find grip.