Off-Road Ranger I

Redondo Beach, CA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Brown
Ham/GMRS Callsign
N/A
There is a wealth of information on subaruforester.org regarding tires and size. If the ‘19 and up Foresters are similar to the ‘18, you will need to change the size of the brakes to fit anything less than a 17” rim. WAY too expensive. I have heard of people fitting 235/65/r17 tires on the ‘18 SJ stock suspension. This requires some modifications to the wheel well: either heat gun or cutting to the plastic liner. I can’t speak on Toyo or the Yokohama’s. The KO2’s are gonna be heavy albeit battle proven.
How do I know what model I have. I know it is the basic 2.5i. What is the SJ for? Sorry for not knowing anything.

DharmaBum

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Denver, Colorado, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Sniezak
Member #

@m.jw.brown don’t fret, I really didn’t know anything about anything when I got into Subarus and overlanding. I just knew there was a market/platform for the two of them, thanks to google searches.

SJ is the generation: Subaru Forester - Wikipedia
According to Wikipedia SJs are the models between 2014-2018. The 2019 and newer are the SK generation. You can head to subaruforester.org and search their threads. Type in 2019 forester 2.5: https://www.subaruforester.org/search/823189/?q=Tires+for+2019+forester+2.5&o=relevance

From here you can start going down the rabbit hole. Also try YouTube.

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
@mep1811 Those are nice, I have contemplated the Rallitek in past. Still thinking about how I wan't my lights set up. Diode Dynamics makes a kit that converts the rear turn signal into reverse lights and shifts the braking lights to turn signals: Tail as Turn Module. I have thought about going this route as a cheaper alternative for "reverse floods" if you will. Not a true substitute I know, but even if I were to get more lights it is always nice to have extra without the additional harnesses, etc. The draw back seems they will not be controlled by switch and when reversing own the roads or parking lots you might be blinding others.

Also with respects to the ScanGauge, I never answered your question, I have it mounted on the steering column. Not really enjoying there as I can't see if some type cautionary light is on. I think I am going to mount a RAM mount to the pillar. I found this bracket from the Scangauge: Wits End. I might try to make my own as this is pretty darn expensive, but my tools are limited and I don't think I have the means to cut & drill a 1/4" peace of steel.

Wits End makes some great stuff for Land Cruisers.. Your plane for the reverse lights sounds overly complicated and probably costly. Most people do not spend that much time in reverse to blind people.

All that needs to be done, is to tap into the reverse light wire. KISS is your friend when doing a build.

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Last edited:
Reactions: DharmaBum

m.jw.brown

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Redondo Beach, CA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Brown
Ham/GMRS Callsign
N/A
@m.jw.brown don’t fret, I really didn’t know anything about anything when I got into Subarus and overlanding. I just knew there was a market/platform for the two of them, thanks to google searches.

According to Wikipedia SJs are the models between 2014-2018. The 2019 and newer are the SK generation. You can head to subaruforester.org and search their threads. Type in 2019 forester 2.5: Search results for query: Tires for 2019 forester 2.5

Thanks. So I have an SJ. I'll look into the 2019 tire question you posted. I am just worried about clearance around the brakes.

DharmaBum

Rank V

Enthusiast III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Sniezak
Member #

According to Wikipedia SJs are the models between 2014-2018. The 2019 and newer are the SK generation. You can head to subaruforester.org and search their threads. Type in 2019 forester 2.5: Search results for query: Tires for 2019 forester 2.5

Thanks. So I have an SJ. I'll look into the 2019 tire question you posted. I am just worried about clearance around the brakes.
Sorry for some reason I thought I read 2019 and not 2017. The 2017 forester will not fit rims smaller than 17” without changing the brakes. I can assure you that’s going to be way too expensive.

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
I'm keeping the stock rims and upgrading the tires when they wear down. I can buy a lot of gas for a trip for what new rims cost. I just need to figure out what size tire will fit. .

Reactions: DharmaBum

DharmaBum

Rank V

Enthusiast III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Sniezak
Member #

I'm keeping the stock rims and upgrading the tires when they wear down. I can buy a lot of gas for a trip for what new rims cost. I just need to figure out what size tire will fit. .
I suppose the only reason to upgrade rims would be for load ratings? I wonder if 235/65 might work? Are the stock rims still 18” on the newer Foresters?

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
I suppose the only reason to upgrade rims would be for load ratings? I wonder if 235/65 might work? Are the stock rims still 18” on the newer Foresters?
People change their rims for cosmetic reasons and a larger section of tires. yes the rims are 18". I only have 24K on the stock tires so new tires a little way off .

DharmaBum

Rank V

Enthusiast III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Sniezak
Member #

People change their rims for cosmetic reasons and a larger section of tires. yes the rims are 18". I only have 24K on the stock tires so new tires a little way off .
I drove 36k on the stock Bridgestone tires before new rims and tires. You paid for them so you got to drive them down, haha.

Reactions: mep1811

m.jw.brown

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Redondo Beach, CA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Brown
Ham/GMRS Callsign
N/A
I drove 36k on the stock Bridgestone tires before new rims and tires. You paid for them so you got to drive them down, haha.
Yeah I recently upgraded tires on my '17. I had just under 50K on them. So I am bummed that this car-style change has come just after I purchased a new set. I will look at keeping the stock rims but if I need a 5th wheel (just in case) then I need a different rim anyways. Maybe a Discount Tire trade in situation - i.e. a new set of tires and rims discounted for my OEM rims and <3K mileage tires.

m.jw.brown

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Redondo Beach, CA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Brown
Ham/GMRS Callsign
N/A
I am thinking the Motegi MR147 CM7 rims and the Toyo Open Country A/T III (225/60R17s). I am not certain on everything, i.e. offsets and rubbing. But I think it will work out.

DharmaBum

Rank V

Enthusiast III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Sniezak
Member #

The Black Rhino Rims I run have a +5 offset and I can fit 225/65. Eventually I’d like to go to 235/65.

Pearl Blue is awesome, I almost got silver when I was shopping. Silver would have helped with scratches but the blue is unique and I got a better package with this color.

DharmaBum

Rank V

Enthusiast III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Sniezak
Member #

Completed the recovery board bracket system today. Happy with the outcome thus far. We’ll see how well it holds after trail use. I think I’ll revisit the rear base plates. I used 1/8” steel, but in hindsight 1/4” would be better. I can see them bending some already. I don’t hear additional wind noise but the Hi-Jack locking knob does rattle. It took me I minute to realize what I was hearing. However, I do t hear this unless I have the sunroof open. Glad to have these out of the vehicle/house.

Attachments

Last edited: