Enthusiast III

Austria
First Name
Anton
Last Name
Hofmann
Member #

Hi guys,

i never had a winch on my truck and don't plan to install one, i got out of all situations with my hi lift and a chain to leapfrog with, in my opinion it's way more versatile compared to a front winch because 95 of 100 times i had to winch backwards away from the problematic section instead of winching my car deeper into it.

The only downside is the 10 meter chain, it's heavy, always dirty, needs much space and it is quite noisy if i don't stow it properly. So I'm looking to replace the chain somehow.

I think I saw a strap some times ago with something like "loops" in it to leapfrog with it but I can't find it anymore or maybe it's just my mind that tricks me.

So does anyone know of a strap that can replace a 3/8 " chain with the ability to leapfrog it like a chain?

Kind Regards

Anton

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

A heavy duty tow strap. Something with minimal stretch rated at least double or triple the weight of your vehicle fully loaded... but when you go that route, you don't try using it as a snatch strap where the pull vehicle gets some momentum with rope slack. You'll break and bend stuff pretty quick that way (or worse).

3wbdriver

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesville, Louisiana
Member #

The multi loop straps you're thinking of are for hanging gear or intended for climbers for all their carabiners and climbing gear. Not heavy duty enough for your needs.

T-One

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austria
First Name
Anton
Last Name
Hofmann
Member #

The multi loop straps you're thinking of are for hanging gear or intended for climbers for all their carabiners and climbing gear. Not heavy duty enough for your needs.
I'm quite sure i saw something like the multi loop straps for towing, i just don't know the manufacturer anymore, and because it was about the 300 to 400 $ price range i think it was designed especially to get rid of the chains

Reactions: 3wbdriver

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Their was a kinetic strap, that had a tow strap (with loops) sewn together. The intent, was to only allow the kinetic element to stretch, until the tow strap loop was pulled flat. It was suppose to reduce the probability of breaking the kinetic strap. Wasn't on the market for verry long. Wasn't intended for your use case. This is the only device, that matches your description, that I can think of. Sorry if this is less then useful.

T-One

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austria
First Name
Anton
Last Name
Hofmann
Member #

Ok i found smething, a company called texora manufactures custom straps and ropes on order, but i'm sure i saw stuff like this in different sizes on the shelf, a custrom made one will probably be even more expensive.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
The heavy chain is one of the reasons I don't / can't winch with my Hi-Lift. You might be able to build Somthing like this. Use a long tow rope, with a few klemheist hitch tied in, that can be moved up and down to meet your needs. Just brainstorming.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I just ordered a spool of Dynema rope. I'm going to build my own Hi-Lift winching line. I will splice in eyes at (to be determined) lengths. An eye splice is as strong as the material itself, if done correctly. Especially, if you know good whipping techniques. Should be a good project. I will let you know how it goes.

Reactions: 3wbdriver

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

Something like this with more loops is what i'm looking for ;)
The strap in the picture is part of a kit sold at
aw direct. You can buy them individually for $125.00 as a replacement strap part number SBS03. The working load limit is only 3,300lb since it's designed to be used as a set of 4. Maybe use several 3' or 4' slings looped together in a basket configurations so that you end up with multiple baskets that you can easily pull off individually as you get to each one?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I'm still leaning towards the Dynema solution, lighter then nylon straps, and stronger. I have done a lot of Merlin spike work in the past. I'm an Avid sailer, and taught these skills to Sea Scouts. I wil weave in loops along the length of the rope, whipping to increase strength.

Baby Jeep Overland

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ottawa
Member #

Always use a RECOVERY strap. Not a chain or a towing strap.
I have seen the carnage of both.
If you are using a highlift get a static recovery strap.

I am in the same situation, having a Jeep Patriot. Though it is modified I like to play it safe and winch backwards and find a new safer or more predictable path.

I use "winch in a box". It needs the snatch block most times and I had to buy jumper cables and attach a quick connect to one end to reach the back but, it is GREAT!!!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using OB Talk mobile app

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet

I am in the same situation, having a Jeep Patriot. Though it is modified I like to play it safe and winch backwards and find a new safer or more predictable path.

I use "winch in a box". It needs the snatch block most times and I had to buy jumper cables and attach a quick connect to one end to reach the back but, it is GREAT!!!

The only challenge with this setup, is the short pull, before releasing tension, and setting back up. The chain allows for a longer pull, and to maintain tension, when you get a new bite to continue the pull. If we had a strap (or a rope) that provided the benefits of a chain, it would be the best of both worlds.

Reactions: T-One

jeepsnstuff

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sandia Park new mexico
Member #

Chain for static pulls (hi-lift) is perfectly fine/safe (not weight) and works well with there offroad kit. What I did was add a 66foot arb winch extension (static=no stretch when your working so hard to move something) to my setup to give me more distance ( I still carry 25feet of chain though. I have a electric winch but like this setup for side or backwards pulls. I mostly travel alone and need to be able to recover from almost anything if the need arises. If you don't have one yet get the hi-lift attachment that lifts from the wheel most of the times this would work. To get unstuck lift wheel and stack a rock to get more clearance or lift and fill in the hole.

T-One

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austria
First Name
Anton
Last Name
Hofmann
Member #

I discarded the idea of replacing the chain with straps. I visited our local dealer for pewag chains and had a bit of a chat with him. I replaced all my old chains and hooks with dn 6 chains and hooks from pewag (about 50% weight reduce), they are rated for 1800 KG with 4 times safety, that's strong enough for our 2.5 ton hilux.

Reactions: jeepsnstuff