Strange things...

• HTML tutorial

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

SO I purchased a 1989 Ford Bronco II for 500 bucks as a runabout at the deer lease. The lease is 20,000 plus acres we like to explore and camp during off season, along with many miles of back roads, logging roads, and less than maintained public access roads for public lands. I also use this for a summer fishing get away.

Anyways... that is how it started. I think I have a legitimate problem. I can't - not - build a 4x4 in my possession.

I started looking into it... Hmmm Short wheelbase.... Fuel Injected V6.... Automatic.... 4x4... leafs in the reat and TTB with coils up front.... not bad. TTB means I can go fast if I want. Means I can add leafs for whatever configuration I need for the equipment loaded.... Hmm fold and tumble rear seat opens up pretty good for equipment and even sleeping for the kiddo.

Next thing you know I found a 4 inch lift for 650$... and 33's for a 15 inch wheel arent too expensive... PRESTO SPENDO... I was awaiting the arrival of brown santa. (UPS Truck)...

I have been daily driving it, camping it, and heck.. I think im gonna run this brave little toaster as long as I can to keep the wear and tear off of that pricey new 2016 T4R we have been enjoying. Not exclusively... im still gonna wheel that yota!

A more humorous note... it is like a Land Rover D90 and a 2 door Jeep XJ made a bad decision on margarita night.... I always wanted a D90... But i can settle for a 500$ illegitimate creation.

The next bad idea? I am welding up a winch bumper, and I have a Warn 5721 winch for it... just because it is something different.

Laugh at me, but it is serving the purpose very well for less money than a lift kit on my 5th Gen T4R!

P.S. I now have a full size spare tire thanks to my buddy beachcruiser

1450.jpg 20170912_171233.jpg

Last edited:

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Who's laughing? if it gets you there and back with a memory in between, it's well worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
And it was all coincidence.

My 2012 Super duty is set up with a bed mounted RTT and other gear.

My 2016 4runner is great, all it lacks is a winch.

All my gear is in tubs so I can change vics and on a whim due to family life...

But this one is more fun for some odd reason. My wife thinks it's because I don't mind it getting beat up haha

Sent from my SM-N910V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: TerryD

Batmango66

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Indiana 930, New Haven, IN, USA
First Name
Tye
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

And it was all coincidence.

My 2012 Super duty is set up with a bed mounted RTT and other gear.

My 2016 4runner is great, all it lacks is a winch.

All my gear is in tubs so I can change vics and on a whim due to family life...

But this one is more fun for some odd reason. My wife thinks it's because I don't mind it getting beat up haha

I get it! My ol' 97 hardbody has been through the ringer but when my son is leading or following me, it makes me miss the fact that it just doesn't matter when you bump a tree, get too close to a big branch and it creases the bed (one more time), he's like"did you see this or see that? And I say no, he says well stop looking at your shiny paint! I
t's just fun!

LukeD

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atascadero, Ca (Central Coast)
Member #

that is a sweet looking bronco II, don't see many of those on the streets anymore so great for you to keep it alive, more pics would be cool too!

Last edited:

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
I second @Batmango66...who cares what it looks like if it gets you there and back. A $60k rig means someone has higher bills than me...I sleep good at night while enjoying what I have. More power to ya brother for making what you have work for you rather you working for it.

J.J. Flatt

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Escondido, CA
Member #

Dude! I love it ! My buddy had one when we were in high school. The thing was super fun in the snow. Those tires make it look beefy!

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

I just set up a poncho lean to and my gortex sleeping bag (Army Surplus) and I'm about to crack a book before I crash.

I have a CVT and a 5th gen 4runner at home... but there is something about an old rig and primitive digs.

Coffee percolator, some non perishables etc...good to go.

Though... reading Jurassic park before sleeping open in the woods isnt the best idea. Lol.

Reactions: Jimmy P

robrtsmtn

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Aztec, NM
Member #

I'm still waiting for a stranger thing. I've see way worse cobbled together and I might be driving one. . My dear departed wife loved her Bronco II, but as quite a lot of them she tolled it on the highway.

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

I'm still waiting for a stranger thing. I've see way worse cobbled together and I might be driving one. . My dear departed wife loved her Bronco II, but as quite a lot of them she tolled it on the highway.
I love this little thing, and I can see why she liked hers.

I'm sorry for your loss, I can't imagine things without my wife.

She hung my moon, no two ways about it.

Reactions: robrtsmtn