Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Ok, I didn't see a thread like this yet. I thought there was one but can't find anything.

Just for fun. I want to hear about your strange, spooky, odd encounters while on your adventures. Maybe it was a strange interaction with someone or an animal or maybe can't be explained. Here are the criteria:
1 - Tell us where you were
2 - When did it happen
3 - Must be and encounter while on an adventure (camping, off roading, you get the point)
4 - Let's keep stories clean and within the guidelines of these here forums.

Adventureswithlaylay

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Van nuys
Member #

Lake isabella summer of 2015. My wife and i went down to the general store to pick up some more beer. On our way back up to our campsite we saw a skinny old man just standing on the side of the road. We didnt think anything of it. Next morning we packed up and headed north to find a new campsite for the night. As we packed up we saw that same old man sitting by a tree about 30 yards from us. My wife and i looked at each other and started packing faster lol. Getting a lil creeped out i grabbed my weapon that we always carry on trips and kept it close. We finished packing and as we drove towardd him he gave us both a blank stare. That night headed up the kern river we stopped at to get a bite to eat. As we sat down to eat we saw an old news paper clipping about the bullrun fires. I feel my wife squeeze my arm tight and i hear a faint "wtf!!!" That old man we saw had a cabin up near where we camped that burned down. And he was never heard from again. We asked the waitress and she smiled and said "he WAS a cool guy" at this point i was super freeked out. We finished eating and drove as far away as we could lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using OB Talk mobile app

TnK1

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Hollywood park, Tx
Member #

Story from my dad back in the early 80's he and a few friends were camping in the Oregon mountains when trees start breaking and a snarling sound worse than any bear, everyone scrambles to the truck and while FLYING down the mountain it appears to be chasing. The whole event was bad enough the 150lb German Sheppard was in his lap as close to him as he could and was so scared it couldn't control any of its fluids. So to this day my dad believes there's something and that big foot could very well be real

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

chrispartida

Rank VI

Advocate II

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Partida
Member #

Stoddard Wells/Johnson Valley (about 8mi into the desert), about 6-7yrs ago.
I was riding shotgun in a friends truck, we were leading a small convoy of 3 vehicles to a hill we've dubbed "Christmas Tree Hill" - which is back into an valley, then up a steep, cliff-sided shale road. We were coming up on where the trail splits off to the shale ascent and came upon a late 1980's white Cadillac and its three very unprepared passengers. They looked so very out of place, and didn't want any help or even water. We had no idea how they got to this spot, but we didn't stick around long to see why they were there.

I call Shenanigans.

-Chris
OB# 3276
CP TACO

Reactions: MA_Trooper

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

I love strange encounters... *not in creepy voice*

A couple years ago while walking alone about a mile from my truck in the middle of absolutely nowhere, miles west of Duckwater Nevada I watched a guy in a suit walk by about 200 yards away. I sat still where I was taking a water break while he passed. There was no other car or truck anywhere near me (that I could see). He walked off in a direction off the road just slightly north of where I was parked. It was a bit weird.

About 22 years ago I was exploring the early morning woods in northern Michigan hoping to find a good place to see the sun rise after a night shift. I parked my vw bug at the bottom of a small rise with a clearing to walk up to the top. As I reached the top a decent sized black bear walked right past me within a couple of feet. It didn't flinch or even look at me. My heart was beating out of my chest.

A friend and I were exploring and intending to camp at a well known "strange destination" in southeast Michigan around the same year as above story. The Northville Tunnels is now entirely covered with a new housing development BUT at the time it was just a whole bunch of abandoned buildings in a very creepy setting. This was a place with an old psychiatric hospital, housing, Olympic size swimming pools and tons of other structures in disrepair spread over a huge area of land, you get the picture. It was actually a hotbed of Satanic activity at some point (apparently) *rolls eyes* but was definitely a place where troubled youth were sent and questionable things happened. Under all this is a very elaborate and notoriously weird tunnel network. This is what we had hoped to explore. We set up camp in some bushes near the church at the end of a long row of huge trees that led to one of the main roads in the distance. We decided it would be fun to get up in the bell tower while there was a storm because, you know…cool kids and all that. Anyway, a few lightning strikes later and we started to see figures running across the grass in what looked like sports mascot costumes. If I remember correctly one even had frikin antlers like a deer, but flopping around as it ran. They were illuminated briefly by the lightning then fell back into the pitch black. I think this is the most frightened I've ever been in my "adult" life. My friend and I very quietly left and ran as fast as we could to the back gate about half a mile away, leaving all of our stuff behind. I NEVER went back LOL. I did find out many years later that it was almost certainly high schoolers doing prank stuff that commonly occured there and probably didn't even know we were there at all. Stupid kids *shakes fist* !

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

Late Summer 2014, North of Broken Bow, OK, just south of the K-Trail, about 5 miles deep on a two track that hadn't been on in quite a while (down trees across trail frequently):

There were two vehicles, three of us - we were camped near the lake shore and waaaay into the woods. Just about dusk, we could hear a pack of coyotes in the distance. Then just after dark, we could hear the coyotes in the not as far distance. About 11p, we were in our two tents, by 12 we were sound asleep. Thought I was dreaming when i heard some snarling, snorting, huffing, and then guy in next tent over says "you guys hear that" - both of us in our tent could, then we heard something stomp the ground. Then nothing.

Sometime after that, i was dreaming that a dog was sniffing me through the tent, then dreaming that a dog was walking between the two tents.

Next morning at campfire, we were talking about the huffing noise and stomp. I brought up the dog I was dreaming about, and the guy from the other tent said "I had that same dream"

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

Years ago sitting around a fire in Mortimer the dogs started growling. We shined the lights over and saw what we called a "coon ass cat." It was a cat like with a long striped tail. We joked and laughed about seeing things until we heard more and more people talk about seeing it also, some even using a coon ass name. No idea what it was nor have I seen it since.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Years ago sitting around a fire in Mortimer the dogs started growling. We shined the lights over and saw what we called a "coon ass cat." It was a cat like with a long striped tail. We joked and laughed about seeing things until we heard more and more people talk about seeing it also, some even using a coon ass name. No idea what it was nor have I seen it since.
Something like this?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring-tailed_cat

Justin Lee

Rank 0

Traveler I

Pensacola, FL, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Lee
Me and a couple buddies were camping on Padre Island National Seashore near Mustang Island Texas. When we are kayak fishing down there, we park the trucks parallel to the ocean and sleep under the stars, behind the tires to stay out of the wind. When we go to fish, we go to fish, not sleep comfortably. There was little to no drinking on this trip. Basically, we are a row of three sleeping bags on the ground. One of my friends has always considered himself "the dog whisperer". On this night, he proved that true. When we woke up the next morning, he told us of his grand dreams of a dog cuddling up with him and licking his face. Into the detail of the dog keeping him warm all night. Upon further investigation, there were coyote tracks (or wild dog, I don't know, I was asleep) all around his sleeping bag in the sand. We all found this quite funny that even out there, the dog whisperer was in touch with his canine friends.

I am sure that the appearance of these canine had ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING to do with the fact that I buried pieces of hot dogs in a circle around his sleeping bad while he slept. I still to this day haven't told him about the hot dogs.

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Ok, I didn't see a thread like this yet. I thought there was one but can't find anything.

Just for fun. I want to hear about your strange, spooky, odd encounters while on your adventures. Maybe it was a strange interaction with someone or an animal or maybe can't be explained. Here are the criteria:
1 - Tell us where you were
2 - When did it happen
3 - Must be and encounter while on an adventure (camping, off roading, you get the point)
4 - Let's keep stories clean and within the guidelines of these here forums.
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/things-that-go-bump-in-the-night-tell-your-story-of-chupacabra-ufo-bigfoot-yeti-missing-411.10299/

My thread that has some amazing stories also from other members...love the unexplained