Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Market Warsop, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, UK
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

With the trailer tent build underway I have turned my mind to the kitchen setup. More specifically the stove.

In the past I have camped with a few variants of gas stoves. Single burner (canister type) or dual/triple burner of various designs with a gas bottle.

Now I find myself a position where I have numerous options but no idea which is the better. Perhaps you could advise?

In my cooking arsenal I have.....

Option 1: Generic single burner gas canister stove
Outdoor-Revolution-Single-Gas-Stove-top.jpg

Option 2: Dometic/Origo 3000 double burner alcohol stove
0159220_r1_FS08ig.jpg

Option 3: Coleman Unleaded double burner petrol stove
3000000396-coleman-unleaded-two-burner-stove-1.jpg

As explained - over the years I have used gas mainly. But in the past 2 years I inherited the Origo and Coleman units - new and unused. I have no experience with either.

So any opinions/advice or recommendations are welcome.

Contributor II

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
First Name
Jess
Last Name
Curry
I just got a Hitchfire f20, and I am really liking it so far. I took it for a test drive in my drive way over the weekend, and loved that I had built in counter space. I know you said you were looking for specifically stove, but I find prep and storage spaces to be immensely valuable as well.

IMG-4440.jpg

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I have had all kinds of stoves in my camping life. Given you already have the Coleman 2 burner I would get a propane adapter and 5 or 10 pound canister. it will run for weeks, easy to refill any where in the world.

• Love
Reactions: thesyncroviking

thesyncroviking

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Paul
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Given you already have the Coleman 2 burner I would get a propane adapter and 5 or 10 pound canister.
Is this the adaptation where you replace the feed pipe through the front to the first burner with a feed/regulator like this?

https://www.desertcart.co.uk/products/37964191-stansport-pressure-regulator-tube-stove-to-propane-cylinder-gold-one-size-189-100?gclid=CjwKCAjwov6hBhBsEiwAvrvN6Hn67WvwzjMhdZU9hiXXUBUmztrBlX3S2px2ME_hE_a24kAg-tTKShoCjc0QAvD_BwE

And then connect to a gas bottle with something like this?

Coleman High-Pressure Propane Gas Hose and Adapter 5-Foot Barbecue Tool 7445016782701 | eBay

I've seen this done on Youtube videos but in the US. Not so much in the UK

Reactions: MMc

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
With our trailer set up we used the Coleman Dual Fuel Stove and again on our trip to Mongolia.
We have had this stove for over 15 years from taking the kids camping in the lakes to where it is now still in the Landy.
Main reason for taking it on overland trips was ensuring ability to get fuel, in our case unleaded petrol which we have run it on for years. Just need to keep up on maintenance.
The Coleman Dual Fuel tends to be a bit like Marmite, some love it and some hate it.

Once you go the gas route, difficulty in getting the right gas with the right adapter when overseas and then the issues of using gas in the cold. I learnt personally gas and cold temperatures do not go well when I used to camp and climb munros in winter and moved to a whisperlite petrol stove.

In the van we have the built in double burner gas hob and a small fold out gas stove for ease of use. Cold is not an issue as the gas is in the van which when its cold we have a diesel heater running.
I don't use the Coleman in the van as the smell when stored in the rear would not be very nice so we are looking at a small light weight Dual Gas Burner for cooking in the Oztent when we take it to reduce cooking smells in the van.

Best advice I can offer is consider where and when you will be using it and how many will be using it. Cooking a meal for 4 on a single burner will be challenging unless you like stew or soup. If you are using it in winter at altitude then that will also bring challenges.

As with everything its a compromise on what you want, what you can get away with and how much you want to spend

thesyncroviking

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Paul
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Best advice I can offer is consider where and when you will be using it and how many will be using it. Cooking a meal for 4 on a single burner will be challenging unless you like stew or soup. If you are using it in winter at altitude then that will also bring challenges.

As with everything its a compromise on what you want, what you can get away with and how much you want to spend
Sage advice indeed. I'm tempted with the Coleman for trailer/outdoor use and a small gas canister inside the van for just warming fluids up.

I can't see us doing any extreme environments or long distance Euro travels in the short term while the boy is still young so it's more down to space and convenience.

Reactions: Polaris Overland

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Is this the adaptation where you replace the feed pipe through the front to the first burner with a feed/regulator like this?

https://www.desertcart.co.uk/products/37964191-stansport-pressure-regulator-tube-stove-to-propane-cylinder-gold-one-size-189-100?gclid=CjwKCAjwov6hBhBsEiwAvrvN6Hn67WvwzjMhdZU9hiXXUBUmztrBlX3S2px2ME_hE_a24kAg-tTKShoCjc0QAvD_BwE

And then connect to a gas bottle with something like this?

Coleman High-Pressure Propane Gas Hose and Adapter 5-Foot Barbecue Tool 7445016782701 | eBay

I've seen this done on Youtube videos but in the US. Not so much in the UK

Yes, they work great! I have converted both my Coleman stoves, no pumping and priming, just turn it on and cook.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
For years I had a single-flame Coleman in use. The stove worked quite well, but it was annoying at some point with the pumping and re-pumping and the stove itself was comparatively heavy also. Back in the days overlanding with a dual sport bike, the fuel for it just came out of the fuel tank, which was pracitcal and ok, but in the Landy I always had to carry extra fuel. Plus every few days filling up the fuel tank, carrying a funnel for that, from time to time fuel everywhere... At some point it was enough for me and since about 10 years now we use a Primus Gravity gas stove. Very simple, super light, small in pack size. It works perfectly, burns cleanly.

The necessary screw cartridges have been available everywhere we have traveled. If necessary, there are all sorts of adapters. And with the standard 4 season gas or, if it gets even colder, with the "winter gas", it works perfectly even in cold weather conditons (have used it to about minus 25 degrees celsius and it worked perfectly). We have also had this stove daily in use on several trips over many months. Great quality and good function. Simple and good!

P1050007.JPG

Reactions: ScottyV

ScottyV

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Kershaw, South Carolina
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Vassar
Member #

For years I had a single-flame Coleman in use. The stove worked quite well, but it was annoying at some point with the pumping and re-pumping and the stove itself was comparatively heavy also. Back in the days overlanding with a dual sport bike, the fuel for it just came out of the fuel tank, which was pracitcal and ok, but in the Landy I always had to carry extra fuel. Plus every few days filling up the fuel tank, carrying a funnel for that, from time to time fuel everywhere... At some point it was enough for me and since about 10 years now we use a Primus Gravity gas stove. Very simple, super light, small in pack size. It works perfectly, burns cleanly.

The necessary screw cartridges have been available everywhere we have traveled. If necessary, there are all sorts of adapters. And with the standard 4 season gas or, if it gets even colder, with the "winter gas", it works perfectly even in cold weather conditons (have used it to about minus 25 degrees celsius and it worked perfectly). We have also had this stove daily in use on several trips over many months. Great quality and good function. Simple and good!

View attachment 255756
Definitely going to consider what you are using. They look like they are the best design I have seen.

Reactions: El-Dracho

OverlandFaction

Rank VIII
Investor

Pioneer II

United Kingdom
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Quince
Member #

I use the Ridge Monkey stoves.. They are the only ones with a big enough footprint to be stable with big pans and fully portable.

The two units have a quick connect, so I brought both sizes and split them so I have a set with little and large.

I then use a jetboil to heat water.

Attachments

JackAttack

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ripley QLD, Australia
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Fredericks
Member #

I skipped gas altogether and opted for a portable induction cooktop powered by 400ah of LiFPO4 batteries.

Quick, efficient and lightweight. Personally if I was going to cook with gas as opposed to the induction, it would only be with a BBQ/Grill.

IMG_1667.jpg

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I usually use a Coleman single or double burner propane stove. Here are a few pics of a mini kitchen I'm working on for a swing out wheel carrier I built for my Jeep XJ. It has a single burner that I salvaged from an old BBQ and is stored inside the table when it it is closed. I can attach it to a 5 lb. propane tank on the tire or thread a 1 lb. propane cylinder to it.

23-02-12 1.JPG23-02-12 3.JPG

• Love

thesyncroviking

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Paul
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

I usually use a Coleman single or double burner propane stove. Here are a few pics of a mini kitchen I'm working on for a swing out wheel carrier I built for my Jeep XJ. It has a single burner that I salvaged from an old BBQ and is stored inside the table when it it is closed. I can attach it to a 5 lb. propane tank on the tire or thread a 1 lb. propane cylinder to it.

View attachment 255798View attachment 255799

That's very space efficient.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

My trailer has a Dometic 3 burner in a slide, it is virtually worthless above a slight breeze.

I use a Jetboil Base Camp every day. Expensive and worth every penny. Also have a Jetboil Flash just for hot water. If I had it to do over again the kitchen slide would have only countertop and sink.

ScottyV

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Kershaw, South Carolina
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Vassar
Member #

I use the Ridge Monkey stoves.. They are the only ones with a big enough footprint to be stable with big pans and fully portable.

The two units have a quick connect, so I brought both sizes and split them so I have a set with little and large.

I then use a jetboil to heat water.
That is probably my biggest issue with most stoves too. Especially when we cook for 5 people.

Reactions: Polaris Overland