Storing your RTT Ladder

• HTML tutorial

Jeremy Cobb

Rank 0

Contributor I

I'm looking for ideas (especially pictures or links) to what people are using to store their ladder for their roof top tent while they're on trail. I have an ikamper x-cover though I don't like to store the ladder inside the tent. I also don't like storing it in the truck bed because it always seems to get tangled and is cumbersome because of its shape compared to everything else in the bed. I have the ikamper mounted ontop of a front runner rack which is mounted on top of a diamondback cover. I already have a front runner camp table that slides underneath the rack very nice and though it takes up half the space underneath the rack, there is likely still room for the ladder if need be. Looking to mount it either under the rack, on the side of the rack, or possibly on the spare tire swing in some way. Any great examples someone could share?

DaveEli

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Virginia Beach, Va.
Member #

Curious as to why you don’t like to store the ladder in the tent. We have a James Baroud and we always store the ladder in the case in the tent. That way it doesn’t take up space we can need for all our other stuff.

Reactions: Louiston and Road

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Curious as to why you don’t like to store the ladder in the tent. We have a James Baroud and we always store the ladder in the case in the tent. That way it doesn’t take up space we can need for all our other stuff.
With the X-Cover, I actually found it easier to have the ladder not in the tent. It helped with the setup as I would use the ladder to unzip/unbuckle the tent.

Reactions: DaveEli

Jeremy Cobb

Rank 0

Contributor I

The main reason is that with the x-Cover it's easier to deploy the tent without the tent inside. Also, any kind of dirt or mud on the ladder could get in the tent.

XstremeLivn

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Vancouver WA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7KEH
I'm looking for ideas (especially pictures or links) to what people are using to store their ladder for their roof top tent while they're on trail. I have an ikamper x-cover though I don't like to store the ladder inside the tent. I also don't like storing it in the truck bed because it always seems to get tangled and is cumbersome because of its shape compared to everything else in the bed. I have the ikamper mounted ontop of a front runner rack which is mounted on top of a diamondback cover. I already have a front runner camp table that slides underneath the rack very nice and though it takes up half the space underneath the rack, there is likely still room for the ladder if need be. Looking to mount it either under the rack, on the side of the rack, or possibly on the spare tire swing in some way. Any great examples someone could share?
Jeremy I don't have an answer for the RTT ladder, but I am looking for a rack to go on top of my Diamondback cover. Do you have suggestions on how the mount directly on the Diamondback? Maybe a picture of your setup would help me. Thank you... Michael

Jeremy Cobb

Rank 0

Contributor I

Jeremy I don't have an answer for the RTT ladder, but I am looking for a rack to go on top of my Diamondback cover. Do you have suggestions on how the mount directly on the Diamondback? Maybe a picture of your setup would help me. Thank you... Michael

When I first setup mine I already had the rack from my previous vehicle (an FJ Cruiser) but the legs wouldn't work. I didn't know at the time that Front Runner had a track system (or maybe they didn't at that time) so I had a friend weld me up some custom aluminum mounts. They're very sturdy and strong, probably moreso than what Front Runner offers because these custom legs actually went then entire length of each side of the rack.

However I don't leave the rack on my truck all the time. I lift it and the tent when I get home and hang them from my garage ceiling. The custom legs bolted to the diamondback with 12 bolts and it just got to be too much of a pain to try and bolt / unbolt. It was pretty much a two man job because needed someone under and above.

Now I have the universal track from Front Runner and 6" legs. They don't have these legs listed on their site but if you call them and describe what you want (the track with legs to go on a Diamondback) they'll know exactly what you're talking about and they'll add it to your Shopping Cart.

Pickup Roll Top Leg Mount - by Front RunnerLASS028
Universal Track / 1400mm(L) - by Front RunnerTRAC002

The legs are $75 per pair. The tracks are $125 per pair. I cut the tracks in half and mounted each half on the front and back pieces of the diamondback.

I actually don't have a picture of my truck showing this yet. But it looks basically like this.

Google Image Result for https://twstatic.net/attachments/diamondback-hd-cover-opens-with-bed-rack-on-top-patriot-hi-lift-jack-jpg.2790115/

The Front Runner legs give you just under 6 inches of clearance underneath the rack. Less if you have the table like me. My custom legs gave me about 7.5 inches. But with the Front Runner legs I can get the rack and legs off the truck BY MYSELF in about twenty minutes. With the custom legs it would take me about 30-40 minutes and my son would half to help at times.

If you just go with cross bars you could leave them on and still be able to open the cover. With the rack that's not possible. I have seen were some people use a mount that goes under and around the outside edge of the cover, but to me that just didn't look very strong. https://images.app.goo.gl/P8Eb9GbrCpmVcWfL6

XstremeLivn

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Vancouver WA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7KEH
When I first setup mine I already had the rack from my previous vehicle (an FJ Cruiser) but the legs wouldn't work. I didn't know at the time that Front Runner had a track system (or maybe they didn't at that time) so I had a friend weld me up some custom aluminum mounts. They're very sturdy and strong, probably moreso than what Front Runner offers because these custom legs actually went then entire length of each side of the rack.

However I don't leave the rack on my truck all the time. I lift it and the tent when I get home and hang them from my garage ceiling. The custom legs bolted to the diamondback with 12 bolts and it just got to be too much of a pain to try and bolt / unbolt. It was pretty much a two man job because needed someone under and above.

Now I have the universal track from Front Runner and 6" legs. They don't have these legs listed on their site but if you call them and describe what you want (the track with legs to go on a Diamondback) they'll know exactly what you're talking about and they'll add it to your Shopping Cart.

Pickup Roll Top Leg Mount - by Front RunnerLASS028
Universal Track / 1400mm(L) - by Front RunnerTRAC002

The legs are $75 per pair. The tracks are $125 per pair. I cut the tracks in half and mounted each half on the front and back pieces of the diamondback.

I actually don't have a picture of my truck showing this yet. But it looks basically like this.

Google Image Result for https://twstatic.net/attachments/diamondback-hd-cover-opens-with-bed-rack-on-top-patriot-hi-lift-jack-jpg.2790115/

The Front Runner legs give you just under 6 inches of clearance underneath the rack. Less if you have the table like me. My custom legs gave me about 7.5 inches. But with the Front Runner legs I can get the rack and legs off the truck BY MYSELF in about twenty minutes. With the custom legs it would take me about 30-40 minutes and my son would half to help at times.

If you just go with cross bars you could leave them on and still be able to open the cover. With the rack that's not possible. I have seen were some people use a mount that goes under and around the outside edge of the cover, but to me that just didn't look very strong. https://images.app.goo.gl/P8Eb9GbrCpmVcWfL6
Thank you for the great information. I will defiantly keep this in mind.