Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

Is there a “best practice” when it comes to solar generator long term storage as far as battery level? Like if you were going to be not using for 3 or 4 months, would it be better full, empty (thinking that would be bad personally), or somewhere in between?

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I am no expert but I recall reading that it is not good for the battery to fully discharge. I keep mine charged when stored.

Reactions: Kozysnack

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Discharge/charge it to 40% and store in a cool place. If you store it at 100%, you could lose 20% of full capacity in a year. If stored at 40%, the capacity loss is only 4%. Also, keep it dry, so an airtight container with a desiccant may help.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I had also been told to store Lithium batteries at 40% and at around 60 degrees for best life, supposedly this also prevents any potential heat build up within the battery leading to damage or fire. Personally I keep my jackery near 50 percent during the summer and charge before a trip, in the winter I keep it full as It gets used frequently to power my work computer during power failures. Lead acid batteries should always be fully charged.

Reactions: HYRYSC

D4R4x4

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Sumner County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Darrell
Last Name
Timmons
Member #

With batteries, it varies by chemistry. I have a Jackery (lithium ion) and manual says charge before storage and top off every three months. I also have some LifePo4 batteries and the specs for them say fully charge and best to store for @ 77 degrees and top off at 6 months. I use them for trips and as backup. So, I keep them fully charged and check them periodically. What good is a backup battery if they don't have charge when you need them? I would suggest looking at the manufacturers recommendations and go from there based on how you use the battery.

Dimitri_Raptis

Rank VIII
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Riyadh, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
First Name
Dimitri
Last Name
Raptis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Please keep them fully charged. You may connect them to a charger like CTEK that trickle charges them continuously or intermittently

ehsnay

Rank IV

Contributor III

El Dorado, AR, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Snay
Member #

I would keep it fully charged for any type of emergency power outage unless you already have that covered. These batteries are more than capable of being stored at full battery without issues.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Is there a “best practice” when it comes to solar generator long term storage as far as battery level? Like if you were going to be not using for 3 or 4 months, would it be better full, empty (thinking that would be bad personally), or somewhere in between?
Refer to the manual of your specific unit. Or email their customer service.

My DBL1000 basically just lives in my YJ most of the time. But not hooked up to power. My Jackery 300 has been in continous service in my house powering my beer fridge for around 6 months now and gets used every now and then to stuff around my bedroom during power outages.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Refer to the manual of your specific unit. Or email their customer service.
This exactly.
Don't rely on what others tell you. E-mail the manufacture. As you can see there's a difference of opinion. If you store them incorrectly and there's an issue, the company doesn't have to warranty the unit.
Information can change as things evolve. What someone tells you may no longer apply to what you have.