Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Stiupid beginner question. I recently piked up a starter compressor. The Viair 88p. tested it out, pretty decent starter compressor.

One note, the hose is permanently attached from what I can tell. Meaning it is not serviceable/replacable if it breaks, gets a hole too big to patch. Which leads me to my question. Is it safe to store this full time in the bed of my truck (has a topper)? Will the heat/cold damage the hose long term? Or is it better to only put it in the truck when I plan to go out and have a need to air down and need to air back up somehow?

Overthinking I am sure but that is what the beginner section is for.

Reactions: Shahn

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi Steve,

There are no stupid beginner questions. Just ask, we are all happy to help here. And it is better to ask once more than to break anything.

I also once had a Viair compressor and did as @TahoePPV said. Simply transported it in the bag that came with it - no problems.

Bjoern

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

The hoses last a long time. I have had a pvc hose suddenly break into several pieces without warning after about 14 years of good use though. It was stored in the Jeep. I have an identical compressor that the hose is still good on. It is about the same age so I replaced the hose on it. It will be used for my wife's car. I now have an ARB twin and a modified Smittybilt for my truck and Jeep.

Reactions: Nickel

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
All of the above- I had a cheapo compressor I kept in the vehicle for over 5 years. I gave it to a neighbor so he’d stop bugging me to use my shop compressor. I replaced it with a Viar upper shelf compressor and have kept that in the vehicle now for over 7 years.. BTW, my neighbor still bugs me for air. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: Brewbud and Nickel

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I have the 88P model also, but mine came in a box,...no bag. I chose to use a military surplus 400 round ammo can for my compressor storage. It fits in it with no problem, is waterproof/resistant, and has room in the can for their 6 foot extension hose also along with some small accessories. It is easy to pack, and gives good protection to the compressor. For me, this was what I was looking for, as a bag was better than a box, and a ammo can was better than a bag.

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

I have the 88P model also, but mine came in a box,...no bag. I chose to use a military surplus 400 round ammo can for my compressor storage. It fits in it with no problem, is waterproof/resistant, and has room in the can for their 6 foot extension hose also along with some small accessories. It is easy to pack, and gives good protection to the compressor. For me, this was what I was looking for, as a bag was better than a box, and a ammo can was better than a bag.
Funny how what they ship seems to have 2 models called 88p. Mine came with the bag (too small!) and a non-coiled hose even though pics often show self coiled. No issues, it reaches both rear tires on my tacoma double cab long bed.

I bought a plastic ammo case cause it was cheaper than the metal and I neglected to check ALL dimensions. It narrows and the bottom and it doesn't fit. I returned it and just decided to put it in the same storage case I leave in the bed that has some bungee cords, zip ties, flashlight, other assorted tie downs.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Funny how what they ship seems to have 2 models called 88p. Mine came with the bag (too small!) and a non-coiled hose even though pics often show self coiled. No issues, it reaches both rear tires on my tacoma double cab long bed.

I bought a plastic ammo case cause it was cheaper than the metal and I neglected to check ALL dimensions. It narrows and the bottom and it doesn't fit. I returned it and just decided to put it in the same storage case I leave in the bed that has some bungee cords, zip ties, flashlight, other assorted tie downs.
I looked at both 30 and 50 caliber cans. I liked the 50 a bit better, because I was looking at hard mounting the compressor in it, then space for the hose and cord. I stopped because I’ve been starting to take a harder look at the amount of stuff, and weight, I’m carrying. Five pounds here and there adds up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nickel

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I looked at both 30 and 50 caliber cans. I liked the 50 a bit better, because I was looking at hard mounting the compr in it, then slave for the hose and cord. I stopped because I’ve been starting to take a harder look at the amount of stuff, and weight, I’m carrying. Five pounds here and there adds up.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I purchased the Vivair extension hose because I have a 22 foot duckbill flatbed along with my extended cab Silverado, so reaching from under the hood to the battery, and to the back 40 (tandam axle) was stretching things a bit:blush:

Attachments

EBasil

Rank VI

Influencer I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Basil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6LBE
I've got one of the Smittybilt compressors, and I just keep it stowed in my rooftop box, along with my tow strap, softy shackles, headlamps, tools and such.

Reactions: Desert Runner

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

I got a viaair, keep it in the bag and in a hard Husky box I found at HD. Fits perfect. Thing I like about it is if it’s hot and you put it in the bag, the rest of the kit can go in the same box, but outside the bag so it doesn’t melt, explode, etc. Those things get hot after that 4th tire!