• HTML tutorial

Iubootgater

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Greenwood IN
Member #

So before we moved my wonderful neighbor gave me a old saw she found in the shed. Turned out to be a 80's stihl mini boss. After a little research I found these seem to be a favorite with north country hunters and outdoorsman for the small size and weight. I sprayed some fogging oil in the cylinder and pulled her a few times and found it was not locked up,poured some gas in and ripped it, after what she estimated at 15-2o years since ran it fired on first pull.... And then leaked every fluid it had on the ground. its going to a older gentleman who has a small business in his garage to be refurbished as they say, looking forward to adding it to the kit.. Anybody else travel with a saw?

Reactions: Michael

gandrimp

Rank III

Advocate II

If your not familiar with saws, they hate ethanol. Your saw will need ethanol-free gas mixture. The old fuel lines will turn to mush.

Stihl's are may favorite saw. I have an 029 I bought new around 25 years ago, just this past weekend I think I got some bad fuel and ruined it. I have my dad's 026 that he bought new around the same time I bought mine, fantastic saw. And a few years ago , I needed a bigger saw and bought a very well used 440 magnum. Oh my word, I put a 28" bar w/ a skip chain, I smile just typing this. About the same time I bought the 440, a customer fell on hard times and brought me a 350 Husqvarna. That's the most backwards saw I have ever handled, I runs good, when I can figure out how to start it.

However I don't currently carry a saw.

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

I carry a little 14" Redmax G3100 to my land (30 acres) most of the time. It's a killer little saw for the money, reminds me of the old top handle Homelite "Super 2" tree climbers used to use 25 years ago. Toggle switch and all.

I love a 14' saw, pefect size for most stuff, and light as heck !

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I work for John Deere and I am also a Stihl Ambassador, Ethanol is a HUGE killer of any 2-stroke small engine. While it is being burnt it is not harmful, it is when it sits in the saw stagnant for 30days+. The Ethanol corrodes the insides of the carbs and starts eating at the fuel lines. I would say probably 70% of the failures we see is due to fuel. Stihl and other companies sell the 32oz metal bottles of pre-mixed ready to run fuel. Stihl calls theirs "MotoMix" it is high octane and contains zero Ethanol, it stores for 2 years after the bottle is opened, but the pre-mixed stuff is also pretty expensive if you burn a lot of it... Try to find a local Ethanol-Free gas station. Use this website and select your state and it will find Ethanol-Free stations near you. Ethanol-Free fuel can be stored for up to a year if you use Seafoam or other additive, now it still will do damage if left in the saw for an extended period of time, so keep that in mind.

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

I work for John Deere and I am also a Stihl Ambassador, Ethanol is a HUGE killer of any 2-stroke small engine. While it is being burnt it is not harmful, it is when it sits in the saw stagnant for 30days+. The Ethanol corrodes the insides of the carbs and starts eating at the fuel lines. I would say probably 70% of the failures we see is due to fuel. Stihl and other companies sell the 32oz metal bottles of pre-mixed ready to run fuel. Stihl calls theirs "MotoMix" it is high octane and contains zero Ethanol, it stores for 2 years after the bottle is opened, but the pre-mixed stuff is also pretty expensive if you burn a lot of it... Try to find a local Ethanol-Free gas station. Use this website and select your state and it will find Ethanol-Free stations near you. Ethanol-Free fuel can be stored for up to a year if you use Seafoam or other additive, now it still will do damage if left in the saw for an extended period of time, so keep that in mind.
Yeah for the price the marine grade stabil is damn good. Its supposed to protect the marine 2 strokes from ethenol, works good in my stihl so far used a hanful of times ( in almost 3 years)

I use it in my boat too... 2 stroke evinrude 50hp

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hendo

Rank 0

Traveler I

My dad gave me his old stihl. I don't know what model it is. It was very second hand when he bought it in about 1992, and he worked it hard and it never saw much love. I don't give it a whole lot of love either but it's still going strong.... Bit of fuel down the carb and she starts first pull and runs all day..... Every now and then I clean the spark plug and it gets a new chain, it's never had much more than that.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Yeah for the price the marine grade stabil is damn good. Its supposed to protect the marine 2 strokes from ethenol, works good in my stihl so far used a hanful of times ( in almost 3 years)

I use it in my boat too... 2 stroke evinrude 50hp

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It helps the fuel last a bit longer, but still, there is no product that can completely counteract what Ethanol does. The issue is the Ethanol separates from the fuel and is extremely corrosive on its own, then it also draws in moisture, which corrodes everything and causes issues, the additive just post-pones the separation of the Ethanol from the fuel. Ethanol is nasty stuff....I run Ethanol-Free fuel in most everything of mine, except my vehicles due to its cost. I did run it in my Jeep for a week and gained around 2mpg.

Dunco

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Warwick Queensland Autralia
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK4FABX
stihl's are great saws i carry a little 290 farm boss when traveling had it 5 or 6 years never let me down the old girl we have on the farm has to be 15yo and shes still going strong :)

Reactions: ElDusto

Andrew24

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

GTA Ontario
Member #

i carry a 16 inch, Partner 400 (also from the 80s) it used to be my grandfathers he used it for 15 years, almost daily until he passed away then it sat in my parents garage for a decade. Now its a permanent fixture in my truck along with my grandfathers old splitting axe from the 60s, sentimental value and reliability. i think an axe and chainsaw are essential for any back country adventure

Overlandllama

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Orion
Last Name
Walther
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0CKJ
I picked up my Husqvarna 51 in 1996 and have never had a problem with it. It has hundreds of hours on it but I've never changed the spark plug or air filter... just hit the filter withe compressed air. I do sharpen the chain and have gone through about 6 or so. Might be a tad bit less powerful than the Stihl, based on others I've used. Walt

Masheen365

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

South GA
Member #

If I know I will be going to our land or bad weather is coming I'll throw my chainsaw in my truck box. Mine is a Stihl MS291 with a cheap "County Line" 16" bar and chain. I also carry the stock 20" bar and two extra chains. The 16" bar was on clearance at TSC for $15 and it really changes the way the saw cuts for the better (because it's shorter).

I wouldn't be opposed to grabbing up a used saw in the 40cc range for a permenant truck saw. Or... Tractor Supply sells new Jonsereds everyday... better submit a new budget request to my wife after our trailer is done. :tonguewink: