Stepping Out

• HTML tutorial

TnWalrus

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Memphis, TN
Member #

Two months ago I purchased my first truck, and off road 4x4 vehicle. She is a brand new 2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road. I have a little experience in the dirt from my days of riding my R1200GS, but nothing like this. Today we finally got to get her out in the dirt at Sugar Creek OHV park. This truck is bone stock, but I was eager to see what she could do. I took my $40K truck out and pushed it as far as she or I could go, given my limited experience. We rode gravel, mud, dirt, ruts, climbs and descents. I buried her in mud and had to get recovered, and I turned away from a few obstacles when I just didn't "feel" it. To say I was impressed with this truck is an understatement! I am amazed, and several of the hard core players I went with, were equally impressed by what this truck could do. I played with the MTS, and the Crawl Control, and after one particularly steep, and rutted climb I made with CC activated, I was told it was cheating, and then they wanted to know more about the off road aids! It was a great day, and I learned a tremendous amount about my truck and my own level of comfort. So here is a photo I shot before she got covered in mud. I will try and get some of the good action shots my friends took and post them up too.

_1000665.jpg

TnWalrus

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Memphis, TN
Member #

This was the hole that got me. I was playing with the crawl control and had it set for the lowest speed. No momentum and I was stuck. I would have been better off using MTS and going a little faster. The rear end slid down into the ruts, and gave my rear bumper a little scare under the drivers side. The Jeep behind me put a winch on my hitch receptacle and pulled me out. Resized_20171119_140823.jpeg

Reactions: LostInSocal