Steering Rack Being Replaced, Need Parts Advice

• HTML tutorial

Nootherids

Rank V

Influencer II

So the truck is in the shop right now to have the steering rack replaced. I need advices from experienced people on 2 topics. I'll provide truck/situation trails below questions.

1. There are too many stories of racks randomly failing on Tundras. So, I'm wanting to know opinions on whether a quality rebuilt (1yr/18k mile warranty) is expected to be a weaker or a stronger part. Or about equal.

2. Since rack removal costs mostly come from the labor, now would be the opportune time to replace or add parts that could actually strengthen the truck both on and off road. So are there any other relatively affordable pieces that I should consider replacing either cause the stock Tundra version sucks; the aftermarket one is much stronger; it's likely to provide better performance; or it will give better geometry for the off-road mods?

Truck details:
2013 Toyota Tundra CrewMax Rock Warrior
Rock Warrior Rims
35x12.5 Ridge Grapplers
Low Range Off Road 3/1 Level Kit

Situation:
Truck has almost 100k miles. Level kit and 35's installed 25k miles and less than a year ago. I am not planning an actual suspension upgrade just yet. That'll come later. Before the rack failed the truck went off roading and passed through some ruts crawling on 4-Lo without a single hiccup or even scraping at all, then lost all fluid 10 minutes later. An insurance adjuster said that my leveling kit put the steering at an angle that created excessive wear on the seals and that's why they busted.

I'd like an opinion on whether a quality 3/1 really does put too much strain on the rack and if there is any additional modification that could remedy that and still be off-road capable. I guess that's a 3rd question. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I have no direct knowledge of things tundra, but... there are random times that the reman part is actually better than the original part. Sometimes, the reman companies address the issues. With that said, unless you can find actual info on that, Depending on price difference between OEM and reman, I would lean more towards a oem part, unless the price difference is huge.

By insurance adjuster, you mean for an extended warranty? I'm not one bit surprised he came up with an excuse to deny.

With the rack out, and being at 100K miles, I would go for new inner and outer tie rods.

Reactions: Nootherids

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
I would search a dedicated tundra forum for feedback on this also, especially if it is a known problem with your configuration.
As for the adjuster/warranty guy they have to PROVE your addition to the truck caused the failure, see this. http://www.autoanything.com/popups/MossWarranty.aspx
If the adjuster/warranty guy does nothing, I would contact the seller of the lift kit and look for reviews of the same type of problem.
OEM vs rebuilt ? Both are good but if you will still have the same issue not good. See if there is an aftermarket 4x4 shop/business that has addressed this issue with the steering rack on your truck type.
Good luck!!!!!

Reactions: Nootherids

Nootherids

Rank V

Influencer II

Yeah, apparently Tundra racks are a hit or miss with this rack problems. Enough that Toyota knows about it but not enough that they're willing to do a recall. But I sit here wondering how a 3" lift can cause so much strain on the power steering but there are cars with 6+ inch lifts that don't have any problem. I assume there are adapters extenders for the 6" ones, but I'm surprised there are no adapters for 3" lifts. I put in a spacer to drop the front diff, but nothing for the steering rack. <head scratch>

So I'm gonna go with rebuilt but trying to figure out what else I can do to prevent this from happening again. Since it will still have the same "strain" as before. So how can I minimize/eliminate that strain?! I just don't know.

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
The spacers are probably the problem, a tuned coil over and a better upper control arms should not have the same affect on your steering geometry. With UCA and coils you will probably run less lift with better geometry and MUCH better handling/ride comfort on and off road.
Spacers add pre-load of the stock coils and reduce damping ability.

Nootherids

Rank V

Influencer II

The spacers are probably the problem, a tuned coil over and a better upper control arms should not have the same affect on your steering geometry. With UCA and coils you will probably run less lift with better geometry and MUCH better handling/ride comfort on and off road.
Spacers add pre-load of the stock coils and reduce damping ability.
Please help me understand... In my eyes a wheel center that is 3" lower than stock will be 3" lower regardless of method (spacer, coil over, brackets, etc); the outside tie rods will still sit lower and with the same angle. But the rack stays at the same position with the same angle on the inside tie rods. And technically a coilover system's greatest benefit would be better articulation which means the strut can extend further to keep the wheel on the ground, which essentially makes the angle of the tie rods even more extreme. So WHY would one method of achieving 3" be better than another method?

I'm envisioning that the only way to minimize this would be either for the steering rack to be lowered or the outer tie rods to be raised. But that doesn't seem to be a product or solution or alternative anywhere I read. So I must be wrong...???

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
Yes some of that is absolutely true in the angle/geometry. One factor that will affect components is the lack of dampening/harsh ride, a stock suspension is a balance for on and off road. That being said an off road suspension designed for jumping dunes is horrible on the road and not very good on the trail. A tuned supple suspension for trails and moderate obstacles moves more freely/smoother through its range. The upper control arm was designed to be within a particular angle and when extended down can and most usually will eventually bind, causing an increase in load on the steering rack (and larger tires). The failure of the rack could have been a combination of angle/load, fluid temp, to move the tires.
It's hydraulic fluid, if it can find a way out it will.
I am on my third suspension on the FJ in 7 1/2 yr's, I feel the pain..........
P.S.
If your drive line angle is to hi, watch your CV's they can also contribute to loading your steering when drooped.....
These are just idea's hoping to help you get to a better place with your rig!!!!!!!

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
I did some more research and found that some pressure spikes can occur in the Tundra rack at full lock and the seals blow. One of the fixes mentioned to prevent this is " steering stops from Ekstrom Design and Fabrication"
There are also some different rack part numbers and possibly a now part with better seals.....

Nootherids

Rank V

Influencer II

I did some more research and found that some pressure spikes can occur in the Tundra rack at full lock and the seals blow. One of the fixes mentioned to prevent this is " steering stops from Ekstrom Design and Fabrication"
There are also some different rack part numbers and possibly a now part with better seals.....
Yup, my 3/1 kit came with steering stoppers just for that reason. I think Low Range Off Road did a great job in including most of the items you should need.

Hey, I'm sending you a PM so check your inbox. :)