Rank III

Advocate I

Idaho, USA
First Name
Darby
Last Name
Peregrine
Hello

Getting the travel itch again. Anyone been to Steens Mountain, Oregon Early in the year? Looking for information on road and camping conditions this early in the year. We in Boise did get another snow dump overnight. But is melting quickly.

Would be traveling is a 4wd with a camper in the bed. Don't care about the cold & snow. Mostly concerned about slick muddy roads causing issues.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I've not been out there this early in the year, but I've been there in early october, and it was DUMPING snow up on the mountain. We're talking whiteout conditions.

According to the Gaia Snow depth layer, you're looking at between 60 and 100 inches of snow pack at the top of steens mountain loop.

Do with that information what you will.

Peregrine

Rank III

Advocate I

Idaho, USA
First Name
Darby
Last Name
Peregrine
I've not been out there this early in the year, but I've been there in early october, and it was DUMPING snow up on the mountain. We're talking whiteout conditions.

According to the Gaia Snow depth layer, you're looking at between 60 and 100 inches of snow pack at the top of steens mountain loop.

Do with that information what you will.

Lazynorse

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Tacoma, WA, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Olsen
Winter is a huge variable, I'm sure but late Sept 2023, the Steens loop was closed off towards the southern end, before it the road heads west back to the highway. So, out and back, no loop drive. Rockslide if I recall. Not sure if this was cleared, or if it was if the loop is passable. Just thought I'd mention the rockslide closure from last summer.

Thinking back, we allocated 1 night and so didn't really explore much off the main road. It seems like there wasn't as much off the main road as I'd imagined. The campgrounds were nearly all full, and this was late Sept, mid week. I was surprised. I'd be interested if Steens is worth going back to for the sake of exploring off the main loop road.