Launch Member

World Traveler I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Etkin
Member #

Ok...I've considered myself pretty damn good at cooking steaks, but this week I tried something I have been meaning to try for years. This week I prepped my steak by covering it in fine sea salt and let it rest 1 hour per inch of thickness. After the resting time, rise off all the salt and cook to desired internal temp. Absolutely the most tender steak ever!!!20190215_172159-COLLAGE.jpg

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i was working off a company dive boat in the Gulf years back and had one of the best steaks out there...i asked the cook what he did and he said he marinated it in half italian dressing and half coke overnight. it was surprisingly tender and good. i tried this on tough stew meat and it worked really well for making kabobs out of it

Last edited:

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

Ok...I've considered myself pretty damn good at cooking steaks, but this week I tried something I have been meaning to try for years. This week I prepped my steak by covering it in fine sea salt and let it rest 1 hour per inch of thickness. After the resting time, rise off all the salt and cook to desired internal temp. Absolutely the most tender steak ever!!!View attachment 106971
Would that be like a dry brine? I don't know so it's not a trick question.

Edit: I googled it and it appears that that is in fact a dry brine technique. Who knew...

Reactions: ScottEtkin

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

My husband started it but we have a tradition now of bringing filet mignon every few trips. Temps for filet are actually 10 degrees higher than normal steaks for doneness.

Reactions: grubworm

ScottEtkin

Rank VI
Launch Member

World Traveler I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Etkin
Member #

Would that be like a dry brine? I don't know so it's not a trick question.

Edit: I googled it and it appears that that is in fact a dry brine technique. Who knew...
Yes...the salt pulls out excess moisture which is similar to a dry ageing of the meat. It breaks down the fat layers in the meat and makes even a cheaper piece very tender.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

Love BBQ'n Beef, Brisket & Tri Tip's large pieces of meat. I use spray Pam on the meat then homemade dry rub, usually a layered of 2 types, a All Purpose \ Santa Maria Style Rub followed with a Texas Style Pepper Rub. I like the meat @ room temperature before when applying the rub & loading in the pit. I want the dry rub to penetrate into the meat with that saturate look. I like pulling them & having that rest period so the juices redistributes back into the meat before slicing.
36200035_1718051114910422_6606887877211062272_n.jpg003.JPG011.JPG

Reactions: ScottEtkin

ScottEtkin

Rank VI
Launch Member

World Traveler I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Etkin
Member #

Love BBQ'n Beef, Brisket & Tri Tip's large pieces of meat. I use spray Pam on the meat then homemade dry rub, usually a layered of 2 types, a All Purpose \ Santa Maria Style Rub followed with a Texas Style Pepper Rub. I like the meat @ room temperature before when applying the rub & loading in the pit. I want the dry rub to penetrate into the meat with that saturate look. I like pulling them & having that rest period so the juices redistributes back into the meat before slicing.
View attachment 107067View attachment 107068View attachment 107069
Looks absolutely amazing!!!

Hans Sommer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arroyo Grande CA
First Name
Hans
Last Name
Sommer
Member #

Here's a good marinate that I've been using for years. It's great to do the night before you head out and let it marinate while driving out to camp.
The orange and pinapple juice soak in and tenderize the beef and then when you cook it it comes back out and the sugars caramelize on the outside with the spices. It's really good Attached is the recipe and here's a Fire grilling minute on YouTube.

Attachments

Reactions: AZ WANDERING BEAR

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

Marinade for 8 hours -