Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Water running in the desert?
No thanks, I'll just wait an hour for it to be bone dry again.

ETA: looks like a Roxor

Reactions: Louiston

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
So wrong on so many levels! :rage: :rage: :rage:

My problem with this ........ the driver totally endangered the lives of the women and children in the vehicle.

A result of:
1. Single Digit IQ
2. ZERO Common Sense
3. No Gray matter between the ears
4. Bad Gene Pool

This stuff happens EVERY year, time and time and time again.

The rain WAS in the forecast. Even if you didn't listen to the forecast ......... Look UP ........... Do you SEE those rain clouds!

Get your vehicle on the proper side of the river bed BEFORE the rain starts and move to higher ground.

I need to stop now .......................

Last edited:

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

So wrong on so many levels! :rage: :rage: :rage:

My problem with this ........ is that the driver totally endangered the lives of the women and children in the vehicle.

A result of:
1. Single Digit IQ
2. ZERO Common Sense
3. No Gray matter between the ears
4. Bad Gene Pool

This stuff happens EVERY year, time and time and time again.

The rain WAS in the forecast. Even if you didn't listen to the forecast ......... Look UP ........... Do you SEE those rain clouds!

Get your vehicle on the proper side of the river bed BEFORE the rain starts and move to higher ground.

I need to stop here .......................
100%....100%. I'm fuming at the description of the 6 year old holding on to the dog with one hand and the roll cage with the other. Shame on that parent. Never should that jeep have tried that. Others waiting and you have a child with? nope. In fact as a parent, I no longer have the right to do stupid stuff that might get me killed.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

From what i understand of water crossing (mind you one of my favorite things to do) 6mph flowing water is equivelant to the force of an f5 tornado, and in steep terrain water can be moving at 25 mph which is equivalent of wind blowing at 790mph. It only takes 6 inches of water to move most passenger cars and around 12 inches for trucks and suvs. If you wouldnt feel safe walking across it dont drive it, pay attention to the weather not just in you immediate area but also many miles upstream flash flooding can turn 3 inches of crossable stream into a 10 ft or more wall of water coming at you from upstream. If you see debris floating downstream with water its not a good idea to cross it for one the debris can dislodge your vehicle and send it downstream second it may indicate active flooding upstream.
Just be aware and be smart just because he had a jeep or any other offroad vehicle dosent mean he was seasoned in using it or had the skills for offroading. Ive seen it quite often where a city dweller goes and buys a 4x4 and reads some stuff online then goes out and gets stuck or rolls it or a number of other things then have no idea what to do get desperate and end up injured because they are out of cell service and cant youtube how to do things for themselves, or they dont have enough brain cells to make critical decisions and be prepared.

Reactions: grubworm

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I'm just glad no one was hurt. One of my buddies took a video of them caught in a flash flood at the bottom of a mountain canyon. This would have been in the early 70's.
The canyon was long enough that it wasn't raining where they were. 6 vehicles, 3 with winches. The winch vehicles were able to somewhat pull themselves up the side enough to get out of the water. The whole video lasted about 30 mins and was taken from a small ledge everyone was clustered on.
It went from small stream to raging torrent in about 10 min's. It took 5 min;s for the water to go from under my buddies brand new 70's scout to over the hood. The end of the video showed a tree, impaling his scout through the windshield and taking it away. The water receded in a couple of hours and his was the only vehicle lost. Fortunately no one was hurt.

• Wow
Reactions: grubworm

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I'm just glad no one was hurt. One of my buddies took a video of them caught in a flash flood at the bottom of a mountain canyon. This would have been in the early 70's.
The canyon was long enough that it wasn't raining where they were. 6 vehicles, 3 with winches. The winch vehicles were able to somewhat pull themselves up the side enough to get out of the water. The whole video lasted about 30 mins and was taken from a small ledge everyone was clustered on.
It went from small stream to raging torrent in about 10 min's. It took 5 min;s for the water to go from under my buddies brand new 70's scout to over the hood. The end of the video showed a tree, impaling his scout through the windshield and taking it away. The water receded in a couple of hours and his was the only vehicle lost. Fortunately no one was hurt.
Did he look for and or retrieve his scout when the water went down? Or was it lost to the canyons?

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Did he look for and or retrieve his scout when the water went down? Or was it lost to the canyons?
They found it the next day. There was almost nothing recoverable. if I remember the tree was still impaled through the front. They did get it home and the insurance got him another. He would show the video at some of the jeep club meetings when we got an influx of new people.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

They found it the next day. There was almost nothing recoverable. if I remember the tree was still impaled through the front. They did get it home and the insurance got him another. He would show the video at some of the jeep club meetings when we got an influx of new people.
I figured it was a total loss just wondered if the carcass is still there or if they got it out. I love coming across abandoned and wrecked offroad vehicles and wonder what happened. I do the same at junkyards i forget what i was doing to think about what events led to the demise of the vehicle.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

0212200729a_HDR.jpg

About 2 weeks ago, could I have? Probably.
Should I have? NEIN
Where that water is coming over the bank on the right was about half way up the doors on a Ram 2500 4x4.
I selected R and went the other way.

Reactions: Louiston