States connecting cable not compatible

• HTML tutorial

Contributor II

New York
First Name
jennyfer
Last Name
raynor
I've been using a Garmin Nuvo for a number of years in the car and motorcycle and periodically the screen come up
stating that my cable is not compatible for traffice reporting, ort something like that.
I tap OK and all is back to normal and them amay an hour later it re-occurs. I've switch to another cable that is slightly thicker with a samll cyllinder on it and the same message keep re-surfacing.
Any suggestions?

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
You should move your question to the electronics section in Q & A. This is posted in the for sale section.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

I've been using a Garmin Nuvo for a number of years in the car and motorcycle and periodically the screen come up
stating that my cable is not compatible for traffice reporting, ort something like that.
I tap OK and all is back to normal and them amay an hour later it re-occurs. I've switch to another cable that is slightly thicker with a samll cyllinder on it and the same message keep re-surfacing.
Any suggestions?
Some easy things to check:
  • Make sure the GPS Unit's power port is clear of debris. A little lint or crud can cause the connectors to not fully align or interfere with connections.
  • In similar vain make sure the cable is aligned properly and fully seated. Vibrations from driving could wiggle it around causing it to be out of alignment and produce this message.
  • Check the unit's power requirements with those of the power source. My SO had a similar message when using an older power supply with a new Samsung phone. Turns out the power supply was running at it's max to supply the amps needed by the device and just could not keep it up. Replaced the power source with one that had more headroom in what it could supply and the problem went away. Most devices have power requirements information stamped or cats int the area near the power port. (However neither my Garmin nor my Delorme GPS units do ... so you may need to dig up paperwork.)
Regards,
Boort

Last edited: