Rank I

Enthusiast I

Sheffield, UK
First Name
Danny
Last Name
Dee
Good morning Danny, Hope you are well?

We are just off J25 M1 so not far from you at all.

Me and the Miss have been going out on big and small adventures in our Landy for around 5 years now so any thoughts you have just shut up.

We go greenlining a fair amount and love to camp out so keep in touch. oh i am on the Wattsapp group if you want my number
Thanks buddy, that sounds like fun, I've redownloaded, how do I join the group?

Did a not of laning yesterday , good fun. Keen to do more! Thinking I might need to lift her a bit to ensure she can twist properly over more challenging terrain.

Attachments

Landy-Lee83

Rank IV

Explorer I

Derby, City Of Derby, England, United Kingdom
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Mellors
Member #

Good morning

@Polaris Overland will help you with the Wattsapp group.

Unless you are doing some crazy offloading i would not recommend lifting your 90. If you start adding a lot of weight then maybe a kit by Old Man Emu to suit your weight would be the best way to go. I have genuine 130 springs on mine with the Koni Heavy Track Raid shocks and i am very happy with how it preforms. When we were down in Morocco we worked our way across a lot of wash outs causing axle twister type terrain along river beds and across roads up in the Atlas mountains with no issues at all.

When i rebuilt my Defender i fitted a ATB diff in the front and i made a hell or a difference off road! It pulls me over axle twisters instead of jacking up me landy 3 inch the let it flex and remember the higher up you lift the more your suspension geometry changes for the worse!

As an overlander i like to keep nice on road manners as i will be driving on black top for many days to get the them dirt road dreams!

Hope this helps Lee.

Oh this is us crossing a Wadi in Morocco
Screen Shot 2023-04-23 at 10.48.19.png

Reactions: spookyandroid

spookyandroid

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Sheffield, UK
First Name
Danny
Last Name
Dee
Good morning

@Polaris Overland will help you with the Wattsapp group.

Unless you are doing some crazy offloading i would not recommend lifting your 90. If you start adding a lot of weight then maybe a kit by Old Man Emu to suit your weight would be the best way to go. I have genuine 130 springs on mine with the Koni Heavy Track Raid shocks and i am very happy with how it preforms. When we were down in Morocco we worked our way across a lot of wash outs causing axle twister type terrain along river beds and across roads up in the Atlas mountains with no issues at all.

When i rebuilt my Defender i fitted a ATB diff in the front and i made a hell or a difference off road! It pulls me over axle twisters instead of jacking up me landy 3 inch the let it flex and remember the higher up you lift the more your suspension geometry changes for the worse!

As an overlander i like to keep nice on road manners as i will be driving on black top for many days to get the them dirt road dreams!

Hope this helps Lee.

Oh this is us crossing a Wadi in Morocco
View attachment 255972
Thanks for the comments Lee. My concern is that my wheels are now too large and don't tuck inside the arches as originally intended. The weight is also an issue now as I have kitted it out in the back and have a heavy roof setup too.

The old man emu stuff does look great but wouldn't fix the flex issues, or limitations from inside the arches, what would you recommend to alleviate this issue? The road manners part has been my main reason for not doing so far.

Reactions: Landy-Lee83

Landy-Lee83

Rank IV

Explorer I

First Name
Lee
Last Name
Mellors
Member #

Thanks for the comments Lee. My concern is that my wheels are now too large and don't tuck inside the arches as originally intended. The weight is also an issue now as I have kitted it out in the back and have a heavy roof setup too.

The old man emu stuff does look great but wouldn't fix the flex issues, or limitations from inside the arches, what would you recommend to alleviate this issue? The road manners part has been my main reason for not doing so far.
What size tyres? do you have wheel spacers?

Landy-Lee83

Rank IV

Explorer I

First Name
Lee
Last Name
Mellors
Member #

Gwyn Lewis do some nice spacers that might help you find your sweet spot. spring-spacers

Personally im not a fan of wheel spacers even though the riders stance does look cool as F$&K it puts extra stresses on wheel bearing and swivel balls. For me i do not want them type off issues when out on a jolly

spookyandroid

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Sheffield, UK
First Name
Danny
Last Name
Dee
U
Gwyn Lewis do some nice spacers that might help you find your sweet spot. spring-spacers

Personally im not a fan of wheel spacers even though the riders stance does look cool as F$&K it puts extra stresses on wheel bearing and swivel balls. For me i do not want them type off issues when out on a jolly
unfortunately I can't get away with smaller as I believe the offset isn't correct. I.e. it rubs. I'd lose a lot of steering too. Simply a bit on the big side sadly.

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
@OverlandFaction , I thought about this again, till I realised I'm on blinking call out for work(electrical maintenance ), got my dates wrong thought I was on the week later, how often do you run them?
We have one up in Scotland end of May. Its the Loch Tay Rally Point

Reactions: Yorkshire Viking