Starting my Comm system.

• HTML tutorial

T.Shack

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Red Bluff Ca.
Member #

Well just pull the trigger on starting a comm system. I really need to study more on the difference in the radio types. Any one have any experience with Midland GTX850 X-TRA talk. I just bought 2 supposedly like new but used ones 34 buck with the shipping. Just for a start. I know of a few that have the different midland hand help & look at me dumbfounded when I ask about how was the test for there license. I understand having one but is it required for these hand helds?

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Those are GMRS radios and there isn't a test for them, but they do require a license to use on High power. It's about $75 for 10 years and covers your entire household (spouse and kids). I don't know much about the radios themselves but it's a good start. They will talk with GMRS or FRS radios which will be different now with the new laws passed recently.

I have my GMRS license as well as my Ham ticket. I'll probably be adding a CB radio in the future as well since they are so common. I don't like my handheld CB at all.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Here's a great informational thread on getting your GMRS ("ZA") license How To: GMRS - ZA FCC LICENSE
As @TerryD mentioned, the license lasts 10 years and covers your whole household. Knowing that usually alleviates the sticker shock quite a bit.

I'll also second his recommend for getting a CB, they are the lowest performance in terms of audio quality and distance, but unfortunately they are the most common right now. If you are going to get serious about this hobby, I would highly recommend taking the amateur radio Technician exam and getting a ham radio, there really is nothing that beats it in terms of audio quality and range. The license is free, but the test may cost you a $15 donation to whatever club is administering your local tests.

Reactions: T.Shack

T.Shack

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Red Bluff Ca.
Member #

Here's a great informational thread on getting your GMRS ("ZA") license How To: GMRS - ZA FCC LICENSE
As @TerryD mentioned, the license lasts 10 years and covers your whole household. Knowing that usually alleviates the sticker shock quite a bit.

I'll also second his recommend for getting a CB, they are the lowest performance in terms of audio quality and distance, but unfortunately they are the most common right now. If you are going to get serious about this hobby, I would highly recommend taking the amateur radio Technician exam and getting a ham radio, there really is nothing that beats it in terms of audio quality and range. The license is free, but the test may cost you a $15 donation to whatever club is administering your local tests.
Thank you Brien. That was my thinking too. Always been fascinated with the Ham radio world. A neighbor when I was growing up had a huge old navel system. He seemed to chat with folks everywhere.

Reactions: brien