Starting a build on a 2003 Dodge Ram

• HTML tutorial
Hey everyone just joined up and looking to get some info and chat with some people who know what they are talking about in this whole overlanding community.....so that being said I have a 2003 Dodge Ram Hemi 2WD and it is completely stock other than headers,exhaust, cold air intake, super chip, wheels, and sound system. So you can tell the only dirt this thing sees is if I drift over into the shoulder trying to dodge an idiot driver on the 91 freeway down here in Southern California lol....so I’m trying to figure out if it’s even worth starting to modify this thing or do I need to just get a different vehicle with a 4x4....now that being said what I want to be able to do in my vehicle is just your basic off-roading not on crazy trails where I’m going to be going up and over monster rocks but I’m more interested in is hauling butt on some moderate trails or just cruising on little tougher trails....so if that gives you guys a peak at where I’m coming from and where I’m starting I hope you can throw some advice my way and help me begin this journey. Thanks

Stoked

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Celina, Tx
Member #

If you like the truck, go with it. You can do quite a bit off road with a 2wd. You could put a small lift kit on it with some bigger tires for a little more ground clearance. Everything else would be the same as any other build. Just know your limitations, and have some recovery equipment.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

There are no problems with running a 2wd. You just need to know your limitations and carry plenty of recovery gear. You would be surprised where a 2wd will go. Add a rear locker and it'll really liven it up. I have a 2004 Dodge myself.. But mine is a 2500 with a Cummins.. It's a never ending project but it's coming along...

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmy P

roamingram44

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bowling green ky
Member #

Youre in so cal right? Thats a haven for 2wd offroading. My brother in laws ram was 2wd bone stock and mine is 4wd. We would run trails all over the place and he was still on stock tires.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using OB Talk mobile app