Abreu93

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Berwick, PA, USA
First Name
Erickson
Last Name
Abreu
All, curious if some of you have taken to picking up used ‘starter’ project Jeeps, Tacoma’s and 4Runners off salvage/auction sites and what experience has been. Logic tells me that since we’re all going to replace bumpers, cut fenders and then proceed to pinstripe the hell out of them, why not start with a lower priced point of entry if low mileage, light crashes are available?
Maybe because of the aftermarket support certain vics have

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
@tjZ06 - Be careful of blanket statements about salvage rigs. My flood damage salvage TJ Rubi hasn't given me one electrical problem since 2003. In fact, it has been the most electrically reliable Chrysler product I've ever owned. My old YJ was a theft recovery salvage rig and was a great rig for several years until I bought the Rubi. My old man also had a 2000 TJ for a few years that was a salvage (I don't remember what the reason was) and was way more reliable than the Hummer it was traded in on...but that is another story.
I’m glad you’ve had good luck with yours, but as someone who wouldn’t worry about a salvage title I’d stay away from a flood recovery unless I KNOW the extend of the flooding. Water and electronics don’t mix and if it’s been fully submerged it’ll be a never ending battle of bad computers and/or connectors.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

@tjZ06 - Be careful of blanket statements about salvage rigs. My flood damage salvage TJ Rubi hasn't given me one electrical problem since 2003. In fact, it has been the most electrically reliable Chrysler product I've ever owned. My old YJ was a theft recovery salvage rig and was a great rig for several years until I bought the Rubi. My old man also had a 2000 TJ for a few years that was a salvage (I don't remember what the reason was) and was way more reliable than the Hummer it was traded in on...but that is another story.
Fair 'nough, I'm just saying what *I* would choose.

-TJ