Starlink finally stars public beta testing. Overland comms game changer?

• HTML tutorial

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

SpaceX has started sending email invitations to join the public beta of their satellite internet connectivity service, Starlink.

It will be $99/month, plus one time fee of $499 to purchase the connectivity hardware. The antenna it's a bit bulky (see attached pic) but I think it could fit easily in an overland vehicle and then be deployed at camp.

What do you guys think? Any beta testers out there?

1604419965610.png

janders

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Andersen
Oh man, when this comes on line, our overlanding trips go from weekend trips to month-long trips. I dream of being nestled into some kickass camp site by a river for days at a time. Do some work. Go for a hike. Do some work. Cut some firewood. Do some work. Drink some bourbon.

That beats the shit out of sitting under flourescent lights all day.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Oh man, when this comes on line, our overlanding trips go from weekend trips to month-long trips. I dream of being nestled into some kickass camp site by a river for days at a time. Do some work. Go for a hike. Do some work. Cut some firewood. Do some work. Drink some bourbon.

I currently work from home so that would work. My only problem would be my Zoom calls with a mountain and lake in the background. Jealousy can be a bitch.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I currently work from home so that would work. My only problem would be my Zoom calls with a mountain and lake in the background. Jealousy can be a bitch.
I already have camping pictures that I use for my video conference calls so they wouldn't know the difference except for maybe the sounds of nature in my call audio. :smirk:

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

Looking forward to the future stages where there will be ocean coverage. Almost time to throw off the landlines.

Reactions: old_man

rDan

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Wekiva Springs Road, Longwood, Florida 32779, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Monteiro
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N4VVI
Service Branch
Navy

You could always just use a picture of a cubical as background. Maybe a GIF with a copier in far background making copies.

rDan

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Wekiva Springs Road, Longwood, Florida 32779, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Monteiro
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N4VVI
Service Branch
Navy

Clearly you're working too much.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Looking forward to the future stages where there will be ocean coverage. Almost time to throw off the landlines.
You would need an stabilized autopositioning gimbal onboard for the antenna.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
That's honestly not much more than I'm paying for Hughes net right now. The only option where I live and it's total garbage. I'll be interested to see the uplink/downlink speeds when they bring it on line.

Reactions: Etoimos

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

That's honestly not much more than I'm paying for Hughes net right now. The only option where I live and it's total garbage. I'll be interested to see the uplink/downlink speeds when they bring it on line.
I have read some feedback from the first users and the average seems to be 100-150 Mbps.

• Wow
Reactions: Downs

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

More options is always better. And while I do go exploring to get away, it would be pretty sweet to update and share trips in real time with people you want to.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I would never want to bring the internet on a trip with me. I love getting away and seeing the "X" over my cell signal indicator. That is half the reason I travel!
I am in the same boat with HughesNet at home and hate it. I gave Starlink my email address and physical address in hopes of being an early adopter of their system.

Reactions: Downs

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I would never want to bring the internet on a trip with me. I love getting away and seeing the "X" over my cell signal indicator. That is half the reason I travel!
This could be awesome for those that work remote and are able to travel AND work. Now instead of making sure they make it to a town or area with suffecient cell service they can pop up their Starlink setup next to the Alpine lake in the middle of BFE do their work and never have to packup camp.