stanley mission feb now turned into banff 2nd of march!!

• HTML tutorial

stuart hobson

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Radville, Saskatchewan
Member #

so new to over landing in this part of the world and having limited funds i have decided to take a trip up to Stanley Mission in Saskatchewan in Feb ..... now i drive a 2014 Kia Sorento AWD and will be sleeping in the car and just enjoying to quietness if anybody want to join me? not really hitting any tracks but a campfire and some cheep re-hydrated food for a night or may be two.

Reactions: grover

xcoburn

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cold Lake, Alberta
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Coburn
Member #

Service Branch
RCAF
I have too many obligations this time of year... perhaps in the spring-time when work winds down and the money pot slowly trickles back into existance lol

If you do go... safe travels and have fun!

stuart hobson

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Radville, Saskatchewan
Member #

I have too many obligations this time of year... perhaps in the spring-time when work winds down and the money pot slowly trickles back into existance lol

If you do go... safe travels and have fun!
Yeah spring time I'll have a go at another location up north and who know might even have done more to the Kia to make it a little more capable lol

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Gare

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Saskatoon, SK Canada
Member #

I've been planning on going somewhere but maybe later in the year when its not so cold out (-45c right now); I've been bugging my cousin about the Overland Expo in flagstaff AZ this May; if that falls through I'd like to try some camping trips here and there;

stuart hobson

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Radville, Saskatchewan
Member #

I've been planning on going somewhere but maybe later in the year when its not so cold out (-45c right now); I've been bugging my cousin about the Overland Expo in flagstaff AZ this May; if that falls through I'd like to try some camping trips here and there;
well this trip is a first for me over this side of the pond (im from england) and it is happening in Feb as the wife and kids are going back to visit so i dont have to worry about them getting cold lol will be nice to see some of the forestry and bush of northern sask thinking i might even try and get up to Fond-Du-lac (sp) but that depend on how the kia go's.

stuart hobson

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Radville, Saskatchewan
Member #

Which parks have you looked at in stanley mission?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using OB Talk mobile app
non i called the band office and asked permission to camp up there and they said if it was on the reserve then there shouldn't be a problem BUT to ask again when i get there but if we get to the actual church then thats a historic national park so there shouldn't be a problem ether......from there was going to just drive north and rough camp......and by camping i mean sleeping in the Kia and maybe one night try some bush camping and make a shelter and sleep outside.

Gare

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Saskatoon, SK Canada
Member #

I just applied for the free parks canada pass; my back up plan in case i cant secure an overland expo ticket this march. wasn't planning a staycation but i want to get outdoors this year.

stuart hobson

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Radville, Saskatchewan
Member #

well the offer is there if anyone wants to come for the trip i'll be leaving radville on the 2nd of march and first stop is stanley mission then up to Wollaston lake for a night then north aiming for stoney rapids but will see what the roads are like .... it's a lot of driving but i'm new to canada (from england) and never seen the north or the lights so driving and camping in the Kia sorento for some peace and quiet :) won't be hitting any trials mainly because the Kia isn't ready just yet i'm hoping to have the new wheels (steel 16") and some decent tires fitted by then along with the roof rack for the spare wheel and the extra fuel and possibly a awning on the side but apart from that she is a standard 2014 model

Reactions: Gare

Trail Wonky

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bellingham WA
Member #

There is a Northwest Overland Rally in June. Washington state in the beautiful Cascade mountains. They have a great schedule for 2017!

Reactions: aaa247

stuart hobson

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Radville, Saskatchewan
Member #

right need some help not going to stanley mission now as been told it's not safe for me ???? so going to banff now getting there on the evening of the 2nd of march and sleeping in the kia....is there anywhere that i can pull up and have a fire and cook some food and sleep and not get bothered or have to pay for???
thanks
stuart

Last edited:

Gare

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Saskatoon, SK Canada
Member #

right need some help not going to stanley mission now as been told it's not safe for me ???? so going to banff now getting there on the evening of the 2nd of march and sleeping in the kia....is there anywhere that i can pull up and have a fire and cook some food and sleep and not get bothered or have to pay for???
thanks
stuart
Not safe for you? Did that person provide a reason?

stuart hobson

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Radville, Saskatchewan
Member #

Not safe for you? Did that person provide a reason?

Yes the reason was that me travelling alone as a young(ish) white man in a area where there is lots of poverty I may have my fuel stolen or equipment taken and where they wouldn't wish harm on me but by steeling my fuel I could get stranded in the cold

stuart hobson

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Radville, Saskatchewan
Member #

that's unfortunate. I haven't heard of theft from campers by the locals. I'm not from there so I couldn't comment on the validity of the warning you recieved.

It's sad yes and it will not stop me as I'm going to take the family up there in summer but at the moment my family are back in the uk visiting and this is a first trip this side of the pond on a very very tight budget I have no back up funds if some thing does happen.... but on a good note I'll be seeing Banff and Jasper :) and posting lots of photos

Reactions: Gare

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

I find that Northern communities in Canada like Stanley Mission are pretty friendly and welcoming. Anyone coming in will be met with curious looks, but they're just people living their day just like anyone else. I wouldn't be too concerned traveling there. Having said that, if you're camping/crossing on private land it's always required to ask permission, and I'd treat the reservations like private land. So either ask permission when camping rough there, or stick to campgrounds.

Banff and Jasper you' can't really go wrong with as a trip. Gorgeous drive up the Icefields Parkway (93).

Sleeping rough in Banff... It is a national park, and if you're going to find unwanted attention you'd probably find it there. IF you're going to do that, park in a public swimming pool parking lot or something public. Park late in the evening, and don't crack out the bar-B-Que for a wienie roast. That's a sure way to get some attention. There is year round camping in campgrounds there... As a suggestion.

If you don't mind getting off the beaten path by half an hour or so, from Highway 1 just west of Calgary go north to Cochrane, and west on highway 1A (It's the old highway 1 and a very pretty drive). Head North a bit to Waiprous on Highway 40 and camp there. It's off reservation land, it's not a park, it's off the beaten path and you'll be sure to find a nice dispersed camping spot. Camp there the first night and head into the park fresh in the morning.

If you just want to crash for a few hours late in the evening park in Canmore. I've done that before and never had a problem.

Sounds like a fun trip!